• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rskbreaker
    • Jan 2014

Making a speed bag...Need feedback

Hello all,

My name is Daniel. I started making my own boxing equipment(not outsourced) and I'm looking to make a speed bag as my next project. I usually post on sherdog's gear and equipment forum, but I wanted to ask you guys some questions and get some feedback.

I picked up a title xs speed bag for my first pattern. I got it cheap and seems to get solid reviews.

Questions for baggers:

- Do you prefer welted seams
    - Best bladder
    - Best loop length or is it just preference
    - What type of leather finish do you prefer
    - Winning boxing gloves are considered the top when it come boxing. Is there a speed bag equivalent? I know it boils down to preference, just curious if there is something similar with speed bags.
    - What are some common complaints or what makes a bad speed bag
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by rskbreaker View Post
    Hello all,

My name is Daniel. I started making my own boxing equipment(not outsourced) and I'm looking to make a speed bag as my next project. I usually post on sherdog's gear and equipment forum, but I wanted to ask you guys some questions and get some feedback.

I picked up a title xs speed bag for my first pattern. I got it cheap and seems to get solid reviews.

Questions for baggers:

- Do you prefer welted seams
    - Best bladder
    - Best loop length or is it just preference
    - What type of leather finish do you prefer
    - Winning boxing gloves are considered the top when it come boxing. Is there a speed bag equivalent? I know it boils down to preference, just curious if there is something similar with speed bags.
    - What are some common complaints or what makes a bad speed bag
    Hi rskbreaker. I have often thought of making my own speed bag. I have an industrial (cobbler-style?) sewing machine that is designed to work on leather shoes/boots, so I think it would be ideal for stitching up a bag. But, I have two many irons in the fire right now, so it will be a while before I attempt to make my own custom bag.

I like your pertinent questions. Here is my response to them:

Welted Seams: I DO NOT like bags with vinyl piping down the seams. It cuts my knuckles, especially when it starts to crack with constant use. I prefer bags with no piping, or at least suede/leather piping.
    Best bladder: I order the orange bladders from Titleboxing.com. I believe they are the best, although someone might be able to recommend a better brand.
    Loop length: The shorter, the better. Shorter means faster movement of bag. I also prefer my bag loop to be at least 3/4" wide. Ideally 7/8" wide. The narrow-looped bags tend to slide side to side too much on my swivel.
    Leather: I like soft leather. Like the Leone, or my Australian BFF bag. The leather is high-quality, and not as thick as some other bags out there.
    Boxing Gloves: I don't use gloves.

You left out something that might be important: Shape of bag. Do you have a specific shape and/or size that you are considering?

Thanks for posting.
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Kangaroo leather is nice, Australia has an association to promote it.
      Last edited by paranday; 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
        Kangaroo leather is nice, Austrailia has an association to promote it.

I've heard they were making a come back...
        Attached Files
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rskbreaker
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
          Hi rskbreaker. I have often thought of making my own speed bag. I have an industrial (cobbler-style?) sewing machine that is designed to work on leather shoes/boots, so I think it would be ideal for stitching up a bag. But, I have two many irons in the fire right now, so it will be a while before I attempt to make my own custom bag.

I like your pertinent questions. Here is my response to them:

Welted Seams: I DO NOT like bags with vinyl piping down the seams. It cuts my knuckles, especially when it starts to crack with constant use. I prefer bags with no piping, or at least suede/leather piping.
          Best bladder: I order the orange bladders from Titleboxing.com. I believe they are the best, although someone might be able to recommend a better brand.
          Loop length: The shorter, the better. Shorter means faster movement of bag. I also prefer my bag loop to be at least 3/4" wide. Ideally 7/8" wide. The narrow-looped bags tend to slide side to side too much on my swivel.
          Leather: I like soft leather. Like the Leone, or my Australian BFF bag. The leather is high-quality, and not as thick as some other bags out there.
          Boxing Gloves: I don't use gloves.

You left out something that might be important: Shape of bag. Do you have a specific shape and/or size that you are considering?

Thanks for posting.
          First of all, thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

You should definitely give speed bag making a shot one day. I would love to have a cobbler's or any cylinder arm machine to work with. For now it's just my flat bed Consew 206rb. If you do decide to make a bag at any time, please don't hesitate to send me a message. I'll be more than happy to send patterns and share tips. You can see some of my work here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gonza...02990223088621

I agree about the vinyl. I'm not a fan of it either. It's usually the first thing to go on leather equipment.

I have some title and ringside bladders on the way. So that's a plus.

I have to edit the last question. It isn't so much about gloves. What I was trying to say was, is there a specific speed bag that everyone agrees that stands head and shoulders above the rest.

As far as shape. I plan on starting with the Title bag I purchased. It's the X-Small/5" x 8"/Gold. If I can make that, I'm pretty sure I can make any other style. It's just a matter of obtaining the pattern.

Kangaroo leather is nice, Austrailia has an association to promote it.
          Nice, but expensive.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          I've heard they were making a come back...
          Didn't notice the speed bag at first.

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

For old school bags, I'd say the Everlast 4205 13" x 10" is superb and made of unobtanium.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

For old school bags, I'd say the Everlast 4205 13" x 10" is superb and made of unobtanium.
              I'll second that, that's why I have two of them.....

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Gotta say the whole line was pretty awesome bags. I had a 4205 years ago and several 4210 11x8's. They all held up great.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Gotta say the whole line was pretty awesome bags. I had a 4205 years ago and several 4210 11x8's. They all held up great.
                  Isn't your favorite all time bag the 4200 from years ago ?

Comment

• CeSalt
                    • Nov 2013

I like Everlast's loops best-- short and 5/8s wide.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Isn't your favorite all time bag the 4200 from years ago ?
                      Yeah, I had a lot of years on the 4200. Started in 1974, wasn't until 1995 that I changed to using different bags.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                        • Apr 2012

Saskatchewan seal leather!
                        Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                          • Jan 2014

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.

The bag came in today, and I have to say it is much smaller than I expected. Now it's time to destroy and rebuild.

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

Can't wait to see what you come up with, that is one of my favorite bag shapes too. I'd love a custom "Zaza" bag...or maybe a limited addition "Art of the Bag" bag.... Hummmm....

FYI... the first thing I did with that bag was to remove that big, honkin' label that was cutting my fists. I don know why that would use such a thing?
                            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• rehamco1
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Aug 2013

asking questions

Kangaroo leather is nice, Australia has an association to promote it.
                              how is kangaroo leather different? what is the name of the association...I have a cousin in Australia.

and have you ever seen a Kangaroo hit a speed bag I know they box

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...