• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob Ots
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2013

Vibration elimination help

Hi, I recently installed an ibox in my semi finished basement. i mounted it to the backside of one of the finished walls and it is pretty loud with a significant amount of vibration. Can anyone provide any suggestions on what I can do to decrease the noise and vibration? Any help would be appreciated.

• Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

There are a ton of threads on the subject here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...splay.php?f=15

But... mount on an outside wall.... add weight to the top (sandbags, kitty litter, etc.)...use rubber coasters between the wall and the mount...or just mount it on a cinderblock wall if you have one available.... just a few ideas for you.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      There are a ton of threads on the subject here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...splay.php?f=15

But... mount on an outside wall.... add weight to the top (sandbags, kitty litter, etc.)...use rubber coasters between the wall and the mount...or just mount it on a cinderblock wall if you have one available.... just a few ideas for you.
      Hmmm. without moving the unit to another wall I wondering how to fix the set up you already have in this location. Your set up looks really solic. Other than suggest the obvious, weight on top, which just stabilizes the board a bit and adds more resistance to the bag, I almost have to hear it to know exactly where the sound is coming from. Is it from the wall unit shaking, or board shaking, or wall rumbling due to overall vibration?

Try this i you can. Have one or two people stand to the sides by the wall ( out far enough so you don't punch them) and have them both put their hands on the board and (1) press down firmly as you punch. does that help or make the sound worse?

if not, do the opposite. Have them (2) press upwards firmly on the board as you punch . Did that help or make the sound worse?

then have them press the wall unit to the left or right and see if that changes things.

Since that is an inside wall, have them (one or two) go to the other side and push against the wall slightly as you punch. does that change it? Maybe the sheetrock on the other side is actually making the vibration.

The only reason I mention these is, years (many years) ago I had a friend in Memphis that put up a cheapo board and it vibrated like crazy and the wall rumbled. Pressing upward on the board helped a bit, and downward made it a bit worse. Eventually we thought it might be a broken stud behind the wall, and he finally just took it down to check and he found that the stud one of the vertical mounts was put on was weakly attached to the rafter above, with noticeable play. I suppose when we pushed "up" on the board it perhaps made that seating better, and downward actually moved it away. the nails were barely holding it at the top, and I think the 2x4 was a tiche short. Since that part of the wall was down he replace the two studs holding the vertical mounts with 4x4 (similiar to what you have done, adding a second 2x4), made sure they were securely fastened to the base plate and rafter above, replaced the sheet rock and it was a lot better.

(* I really would like to do this with my own setup, replace the vertical mount studs in the wall with 4x4's. I think one is split.... )

that may have nothing to do with what is making your issue, and maybe just some sand bags on top is a quick fix.

Good luck.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Rob Ots
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2013

Mounting to an outside wall may be tricky since it is in a poured concrete basement. Do any of you guys recommend mounting to a poured wall? I guess I could drill holes into the wall and mount studs and then mount onto that, just don't want to cause any type of foundation damage, like water coming thru or something like that. As far as the setup I have right now, I thought it was going to be pretty solid too. It is mounted very solid to the wall, but when I start hitting it, the whole wall is rattling, not to mention there is a round air duct made of sheet metal right above it and it causes the sound to echo even louder. May be that I need to add some sand and maybe reinforce the top plate and add some insulation around the air duct and see if this help.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Rob Ots View Post
          Mounting to an outside wall may be tricky since it is in a poured concrete basement. Do any of you guys recommend mounting to a poured wall? I guess I could drill holes into the wall and mount studs and then mount onto that, just don't want to cause any type of foundation damage, like water coming thru or something like that. As far as the setup I have right now, I thought it was going to be pretty solid too. It is mounted very solid to the wall, but when I start hitting it, the whole wall is rattling, not to mention there is a round air duct made of sheet metal right above it and it causes the sound to echo even louder. May be that I need to add some sand and maybe reinforce the top plate and add some insulation around the air duct and see if this help.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.
          So now you know it's not the unit itself that is the issue. I'm betting this is an interior, non-weight bearing wall..?

You may do better putting it on the outer poured wall, but I'd put some type of padding and wood on the wall to attache the vertical mounts of the board.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...