X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PunchDrummer
    • Jan 2012

My swivel - shoulda patented it.

There's someone else like me (and my one-way swivel). I'm not alone any more.

• Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post

http://shop.boundboxing.com/Cleto-Re...l-Bearing.html

Heres the same one on Ebay . The one Cleto reyes makes rotates in all directions, just like the u-bolt design, except with a chain link though. I bought two of them a couple years ago to aleviate the problem of the speed bag NOT laying flat on the narrow U-bolt design, but never winded up using them anyway.

Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM.
    -Anthony

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

http://shop.boundboxing.com/Cleto-Re...l-Bearing.html
      "One-way swivel"...what does that mean? Doesn't it spin?

Patents are a rich-man's game...they really do nothing unless you have the money & legal staff to go after the infringers.
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• kenk
        • Dec 2012

A patent cost about 10 grand and takes several years to process...assuming it is awarded...a lot of money spent and no guarantee of an award...you'd have to sell a lot swivels to just break even...

Good example...look at the "cleto reyes" vs "first rate" platforms...very similar concept of cantilever bean style platform with screw jack height adjustment...I know that "first rate" has applied for a patent...not sure if cleto reyes has a patent, but if he did, it would be difficult for first rate to show an improvement over cleto design...
        here is patent info for first rate http://www.google.com/patents/US20120238415
        Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
          Heres the same one on Ebay. The one Cleto reyes makes rotates in all directions, just like the u-bolt design, except with a chain link though. I bought two of them a couple years ago to aleviate the problem of the speed bag NOT laying flat on the narrow U-bolt design, but never winded up using them anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181067781649...84.m1555.l2649
          I solved that problem by taping the bag to the U-bolt. look down that link.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post

Patents are a rich-man's game...they really do nothing unless you have the money & legal staff to go after the infringers.
            My old friend "Rocky Greiner" had modified a ChainLink to lock in place and only go in one direction at a time (front-to-back, or Side-to-Side). Notice in this video he keeps "adjusting the swivel", especially at 1:35 for side to side (listen for the "click" a the link locks into place)

Years ago he sent me private video's of his equipment and how he did it, creating his "pole attached setup" and locking method on the swivel.

Too bad you can't get to florida to do some interviews. Ernie Oriente and Rocky Greiner live pretty close to each other in the Sarasota area.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

I have SO much interview now I'm overflowing!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I have SO much interview now I'm overflowing!
                famous quote:

when your cups runeth over, get bigger cups.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                  • Apr 2011

Yeah , I was wondering what "ONE WAY" meant too. The Cleto shown, spins freely.
                  -Anthony

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
                    Yeah , I was wondering what "ONE WAY" meant too. The Cleto shown, spins freely.
                    Mine spins just like you'd expect (i.e. the Cleto), but the bag doesn't like to change directions unless you also encourage the orientation of the swivel at the same time - if that makes any sense. Slightly similar thing with string and rotating eyelets, except the string (or zip-ties) have more twist and give more unexpected rebounds which (IMHO) adds extra challenge if you like banging your head against the proverbial wall.
                    BTW: Zip ties will saw-away at the loop.

And Weebles wobble but they won't fall down.

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

Slightly similar thing with string and rotating eyelets, except the string (or zip-ties) have more twist and give more unexpected rebounds which (IMHO) adds extra challenge if you like banging your head against the proverbial wall.
                      The rotating eyelet maybe has a slight self-centering effect, and although the bag can go squirrelly it is not more prone to that, and maybe a bit less, than that of a ball hook.

Scissorhands is great on a U-bolt, I really should try that type swivel one day.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Mine spins just like you'd expect (i.e. the Cleto), but the bag doesn't like to change directions unless you also encourage the orientation of the swivel at the same time - if that makes any sense. Slightly similar thing with string and rotating eyelets, except the string (or zip-ties) have more twist and give more unexpected rebounds which (IMHO) adds extra challenge if you like banging your head against the proverbial wall.
                        BTW: Zip ties will saw-away at the loop.

And Weebles wobble but they won't fall down.
                        Actually for a U-Bolt noticing orientation makes perfect sense. Look at the picture below. A U-Bolt works fine if you hit with the orientation of the left ( "U" facing you). You can hit really well front to back here, but sideways will be problematic.

With the orientation on the right ("U" facing away), the bag will not react well front to back (may slip down the bar and loss friction) but will work fine sideways.

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                        ...Scissorhands is great on a U-bolt, I really should try that type swivel one day.
                        As for speedbagscissorhands, yes he is amazing on a U-Bolt swivel, however, if you study the swivel orientation when he hits you will clearly see his control and the continuity of bag speed is much better when the "U" is facing the direction of his next punch which is heavily front to back with the "U" facing him.

And you might also notice, he does one or two quick, definitive side double punches (SDP) or Side Triple Elbow Strikes (S-TES), but he does not maintain them or do repetitively complicated combinations using the sides of the bag. Yep, he hits fast, hard, accurate and his patented spin elbows that are amazing, but his combination punching patterns are not heavily side "front-side", "reverse-side" or "side-reverse" intensive. A quick hit, then out. Most of his repetitive linking is really front to back. When his speed and "rhythm" changes a bit, up or down, IMO it is due to the swivel needed to changes it's orientation back to put the "U" facing directly toward the next punch.

As you watch this videoclip, watch the swivel orientation of the "U" and you will see how it does effect speed and accuracy of rebound. I know this swivel is he personal choice for he feels it is faster than a ballhook, and he loves to go fast, not necessarily complicated.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                          • Jan 2012

RE: Scissorhands video TC: 0:25
                          The day I have the energy to run up to my platform and jump onto the mat like that will be the day I will learn spinning elbows without falling over. Eating my Wheaties in preparation.

Keen observations Alan!
                          BTW: I finally tried my Everlast ball-carabiner swivel. Short video to come.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...