I was just about to order one of these for myself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhtKnight
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2013

I was just about to order one of these for myself...

Leone Boxing Speed Bag - Small (8.5" x 5.5")

Does anyone have anything either positive or negative to say about them?

Cheers for any thoughts on the matter

Steve
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by WhtKnight View Post
    Leone Boxing Speed Bag - Small (8.5" x 5.5")

Does anyone have anything either positive or negative to say about them?

Cheers for any thoughts on the matter

Steve
    Hi, Ive attached photos of the Leone (small 8.5x5.5) Its between a Cleto (xs 8x5) and (s 9x6). Just got it, and havent played with it much. It has more of a ball shape than a tear drop. It is very light also, but seems of good quality.

Ralph , I saw your post about the Heritage. Once I get mine, I and will post pics next to the Cleto as well and post them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-06-2013, 11:59 PM.
    -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I had one for a while. kind of a "bouncy" bag, not sure why. I liked it alright but I bought it to use as a "bidding bag" at the last speed bag gathering. Not sure who ended up with it, but it was fun to hit for what little i hit it.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• WhtKnight
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2013

Do you guys have any better suggestions? After reading some more posts on here I'm considering going to a tear drop bag instead but since this is all new to me I'm completely open to any opinions people may have

I guess at this point, I'm looking for something to suit a newbie but have plenty of room for growth as I progress.

If people want to chip in their ideas for the advanced baggers though, I'd be really happy to hear them too.

PS: I apologise in advance to the older members around here because I'm sure this topic has been covered a million times over in the past

Steve

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Do you guys have any better suggestions? After reading some more posts on here I'm considering going to a tear drop bag instead but since this is all new to me I'm completely open to any opinions people may have

I guess at this point, I'm looking for something to suit a newbie but have plenty of room for growth as I progress.

If people want to chip in their ideas for the advanced baggers though, I'd be really happy to hear them too.
          Hey Steve,

There are many bags that will suit your needs, but since your question implies you might not have any real hands on experience, or preference for various sizes, shapes or materials of different bags and brands, it may really come down to price. You can opt for the newest high performance bag like the Lazer from Balazs, or just about any of the Titleboxing Bags or from their wider choices The point is, there are bags in all shapes and sizes that will suit your needs from $30 to more than $100.00. There are also some forum members that have access to other lines of speed bags that are not readily available, such as some discontinued models.

Various folks have their favorite sizes and shapes and you can chase the "which one is best..." opinion for a long time. Personally if you are a beginner, with the typical 24 inch rebound board I would recommend something mid size fairly economical and easy to put up on any swivel, (depending on your swivel type you may have problems hanging some of the bags with monster thick attachment loops like cleto's). I would say the Red Title 9x6 (SB-6) or the larger Blue 10x7 (SB-7) would work well for you.

PS: I apologise in advance to the older members around here because I'm sure this topic has been covered a million times over in the past

Steve
          no need to apologize for the question. Many of us "older" members know that speed bag models, sizes, material and shapes may vary and change from year to year. The "hot, best" bag from last year might now be discontinued or the manufacturing process may have changed for cheaper materials. Some great bags of the past now suck, quite frankly - so asking about bags is usually pretty relevant. Very few people actually know of or have tried the "lazer" bag by Balazs because it is new and has only been available for a month or so - but I have use two sizes and their are very high quality and fast IMO.

Depending on your budget and swivel, you might also consider a less expensive bag and put a few bucks into a new ball hook swivel from Ms Deville or Jumpcannon. They are hand made one at a time and far better than any other ballhook you might find floating around ebay. Contact each member of the board directly via PM or email addresses they provide. I can tell you both take paypal.

The swivel impacts the bag action and movement as much as the bag does. they depend on each other.

again, just my opinion. Hope this helps.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 01-07-2013, 02:19 AM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Yes, Ventanakaz. Good memory. I did a (punch drumming) video to try to show its speed.

Welcome to the forum, Steve. I don't think any of us here get tired of answering this question. There are always new bags coming out through the years and everyone has an opinion. So, here's mine.

I bought a small Leone bag last March. My first impression was that it was very light. And bouncy. And fast. I liked the shape of it, but it had one drawback. The loop on it is very long. It could be shorter and would be faster in my opinion.

I have fun punching on this bag, except that it seems so light and "airy." I kind of prefer a bag that has a little bit more heft.

My Australian bag is also a lighter and bouncier bag than my other bags. It's a medium size and I like the shape of it. It's one of my favorite bags for punch drumming and for practicing elbow combinations. It has a larger striking area, which, in my opinion is better for the beginner. I would advise against a Leone for the beginner bagger. I think it really helps to start out slowly, and to build some stamina with a larger, heavier bag. A large Cleto Reyes is a favorite of mine for a good solid workout. I would also recommend the big blue Title bag for basic punching. I like Title bags because they always seem to be in stock when I order one. And I don't recall ever getting a "lemon."

Oh, one more thing. When first starting out, I think it really helps to stay away from any speed bags with piping down the seams. It can really be hard on "newbie" knuckles. I hope this helps.
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• jumpcannon
              Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

What kinda bags are readily available in austrailia? That may help with decision so u dont get hit with high shipping charges.
              evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• WhtKnight
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jan 2013

You guys are the best, thank you so much for the push in the right direction.

I was hoping to make sure I didn't make any poor choices early, slowing me down, so I greatly appreciate all the advice

I guess since everyone seems to agree on the Title bags, even if they aren't their first choice, I might go with a medium in those.

I can always change up later after all but at least it will be a good all-rounder

Steve

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                  What kinda bags are readily available in austrailia? That may help with decision so u dont get hit with high shipping charges.

The Jim Bradley line is Australian. It is quit a unique bag. Its smallest size is 25mm(~10x8), but is really fast and super light. Its the largest bag I own, and I think the lightest. See pic below
                  Attached Files
                  -Anthony

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Leone Speed Bag Thread

I found the thread that has a lot of information and feedback from those who have the Leone bag. Well, that's mainly Juxt and myself. And, of course, there is Alan's comments regarding the "scent of leather gloves…"

Here is the clip I filmed showing closeups of the bag. I included the description of the bag from the Leone packaging. The bag was hanging on my homemade concrete platform in this clip:

And here it is in action. A short punch drumming clip. I tried to keep up with the pace of the music, and failed a few times :

I tend to punch from a lower position to the bag, I think. This, can make it harder to keep up with that frenetic pace of the tune. I think one can increase their speed by being properly positioned to the bag, so that you are striking straight across, rather than in an upward motion. I guess it's just that I don't feel comfortable being that high to the bag because I'm afraid of striking the drum with my fist when doing a downward elbow punch, etc.

In that clip (from March 2012, I think) the Deville A-51 has the old ball/eye screw setup where the eye screw is tucked up close to the brass ball. A few people commented to me that they felt it hindered the execution of certain combinations. So, I convinced Raul to make it so the ball/eye screw post was more exposed. He still works out with the original set up and has had no problems with it. And, if anyone has seen samples of his powerful elbow punching over and over, you can see that the swivel takes a beating, and keeps on going. No wear on the neoprene casing, and no glitches when executing his repetitive elbow punches. (But, I suppose this should be in another thread. ) After all, we're talking about the Leone bag here…

If anyone is interested, I can post the video WITHOUT the background music so you can get a better representation of the bag sound against the drum.

Here's the link to the forum thread regarding the Leone speed ball:

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Wow!! Your hands are a blur! I just ordered a Leone 9.5 x 6.5 last week and look forward to trying it out. Not sure if the 1/2 size will make a difference, but I'm anxious to have a few different size bags. Thanks for sharing Dee.

fedora

Comment

• G-Town
                        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Treat Her Like A Lady'

Q-Dee!!! Nice rips on the bag! That's all "bagging" pushing the 'combination' You were all over it, and I'm going to say it again; All over it! Bag on...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...