• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Re-Made Platform

I got this ceiling mount unit off of ebay. It was only about 17 inches in diameter. Bag didn't seem to be hitting right so after doing some reading here it seemed that a 24 inch platform was an optimal size. I found some pre-cut 24 inch round platforms at a local building supply. I screwed and glued the 3/4 inch plywood round on top of a 1 inch laminated fir round. It didn't take long to do. But I had to mount the thing to the rafters of my very old garage. I spanned 2 rafters with two 2x12s to get my mounting height where I wanted it. Bolted the platform onto the the metal bracket which went onto the 2x12s. I did a lot of bracing to minimize the vibration. I ended up putting two 20 pound weights on top of the platform for some extra rebound action. Here's the pics. I have the Deville 51 swivel installed and am waiting for a Promex 8x5 bag to come in the mail. Currently have a tufwear 9x6.

I plan on painting it to dress it up some when the weather warms up
    Any recommendations for modifications to make it better would be appreciated.

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM.
  • AugustChief
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by fedora View Post
    I got this ceiling mount unit off of ebay. It was only about 17 inches in diameter. Bag didn't seem to be hitting right so after doing some reading here it seemed that a 24 inch platform was an optimal size. I found some pre-cut 24 inch round platforms at a local building supply. I screwed and glued the 3/4 inch plywood round on top of a 1 inch laminated fir round. It didn't take long to do. But I had to mount the thing to the rafters of my very old garage. I spanned 2 rafters with two 2x12s to get my mounting height where I wanted it. Bolted the platform onto the the metal bracket which went onto the 2x12s. I did a lot of bracing to minimize the vibration. I ended up putting two 20 pound weights on top of the platform for some extra rebound action. Here's the pics. I have the Deville 51 swivel installed and am waiting for a Promex 8x5 bag to come in the mail. Currently have a tufwear 9x6.

I plan on painting it to dress it up some when the weather warms up
    Any recommendations for modifications to make it better would be appreciated.

fedora
    Looks very sturdy, thanks for the visual aid. Merry Christmas

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

That looks solid as a rock! Nice job.
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

Thanks, I know it isn't real pretty but it is like you say solid. Vibration is very minimal. A coat of paint on all the supports will make it look a little better. It cost under $50.00 to build not counting the swivel.

fedora

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

I found some pre-cut 24 inch round platforms at a local building supply.
          What store ...or where did you find those round, pre-cut platforms? I can't seem to find any at Home Depot or Lowes...

Comment

• fedora
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2012

It's a locally owned one here in Eugene Oregon. "Jerry's". I checked out Lowe's here locally and they had the 24 inch 3/4 inch plywood round but they didn't have the 1 inch laminated fur. I didn't look at Home Depot. BTW both Lowes and Home Depot give you a 10% discount if you were in the Military. Just show them your DD-214 discharge paper. I've shopped at these stores for years and just found that out last summer.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Amazing set up. Great job on constructing that.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dogtoke
                • Jun 2008

Very nice Fedora. Also thank you for your service to our country

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

It's a locally owned one here in Eugene Oregon. "Jerry's". I checked out Lowe's here locally and they had the 24 inch 3/4 inch plywood round but they didn't have the 1 inch laminated fur. I didn't look at Home Depot. BTW both Lowes and Home Depot give you a 10% discount if you were in the Military. Just show them your DD-214 discharge paper. I've shopped at these stores for years and just found that out last summer.

fedora
                  Thanks for the info...and your service to the country.
                  Happy New Year!

Comment

• fedora
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2012

Thanks I appreciate that.
                    I've since added a few more cross supports to this mounting structure and put another 30 pounds on top of the platform. Super super solid, I could hang a bull elk from it and it wouldn't budge.
                    I should get my new bag this coming week. I'm making progress with the Deville swivel. I've finally got the front to back double punch down pretty good. It took me a week to finally get it. I'm trying to get the side double punch now. I've watched all the video's on it and can do it a few times before I crash. It's really slow coming but the brain synapses are finally kicking in to what I want to do.

fedora

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

This will make you feel better...

One month (right before changing to a ball-hook swivel)

Four months later (notice more bags and a new/old platform) & after getting "The Speed Bag Bible"!

One Year & 8 months later...first attempt at Punchdrumming
                      (LOTS of bags! Truely addicted)

It comes along fast, just keep at it & have fun! If you don't have The Speed Bag Bible, I highly recommend you get one, it really helps clear things up!

Looking forward to seeing a video of you in action on that beautiful platform.

Comment

• fedora
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2012

Wow, I can only hope to be that good someday. I noticed you started with a U-bolt and switched to a ball hook. Could you really notice a big improvement or was it just because you had been practicing longer? I have noticed in some video's I've been watching that some really good baggers use the U-bolt. That scissorhands dude is an absolute blurr using one.

Thanks for sharing the video's, you are really good.

fedora

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

Wow, I can only hope to be that good someday. I noticed you started with a U-bolt and switched to a ball hook. Could you really notice a big improvement or was it just because you had been practicing longer? I have noticed in some video's I've been watching that some really good baggers use the U-bolt. That scissorhands dude is an absolute blurr using one.

Thanks for sharing the video's, you are really good.

fedora
                          There are things you just can't do on a U-Bolt swivel....I personally LOVE the ball-hook (it's the ONLY swivel for me).

The first few days with the ball-hook the bag was all over the place. I think it requires much more accurate hitting...then after a couple days, it's just second nature and you can control the bag in ANY direction. Start slow and build from there.

I think you can see, with a little practice anyone can become proficient (and addicted) on the speed bag. If I can do it (starting at 50 years old) anyone can!

This forum and speed bag community creates constant inspiration....you will find THE BEST people in the world here!

Happy New Year to all my fellow speed bag addicts!

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

I didn't know you were over 50, Zaz. Bagging keeps you younger longer, haha.

Comment

• Zaza
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                              I didn't know you were over 50, Zaz. Bagging keeps you younger longer, haha.
                              Yeah... pushing 52 in 2013...but getting better like a fine wine!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...