• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Vertical Baggin' - Bag Height

After attending SBIII and getting a chance to see some vertical bag masters at work.....I snuck off into the back room where no one could see me (make a fool of myself trying it)....and I'll be damned, after a few minutes, I started to get the hang of it! I was told it translates pretty easy and it did.

So... now I want to put one up at home and I was wondering if there was any rule as to what height to mount the swivel? I was thinking belly button height might be about right?

Any input from you vertical baggers would be most appreciated.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com
  • G-Town
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Back room....

HEY Z... would that be the Verticle door board? 36" where you feel comfortable.. No rules in my book- hit it like a champion! You might like it lower,you might like it higher.... Be the "BOSS" set it like you like. See you soon G.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      After attending SBIII and getting a chance to see some vertical bag masters at work.....I snuck off into the back room where no one could see me (make a fool of myself trying it)....and I'll be damned, after a few minutes, I started to get the hang of it! I was told it translates pretty easy and it did.

So... now I want to put one up at home and I was wondering if there was any rule as to what height to mount the swivel? I was thinking belly button height might be about right?

Any input from you vertical baggers would be most appreciated.

That's a good question, and opinions seem to vary, just like horizontal bagging. Some like it a bit higher and some lower. I'm by no means an accomplished vertical bagger, for I've yet to hang one in my house, but like you I did get to spend a lot of time this year in "the back room" working the bag late wednesday night and thursday morning before the setup. During setup I think we measured the height to the vertical bag on the door and it was 42 inches to the swivel (pic 1). But that height is not necessarily the best because the height of the person can make this either too high or too low. It hit me just a bit above the navel and was a good height for me, but I'm not too tall either (5-10). (Pic-2).

TommyT is a big guy (6-6) so he would like the vert bag a bit higher than this. I've posted a few pics from frame captures of TommyT hitting to show the alignments, and he uses a lot of "knee ups" to hit the bag also. You can judge for yourself by the yellow lines how the bag swivel lines up on the torso, but it look like a placement just about your navel is a good general placement. Bag Belly width will really determine your exact contact point.

Hope this helps.

Talking to Tim, Tommy and Juxt, they have all mentioned they like the
      Attached Files
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• GHAJNASR
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Nov 2011

I hung mine up at waste level and I LOVE IT.Thank you all for the advice..I have been working the knee strikes and I love it. I found it more fun.

Peace,Love,Speed bag.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by GHAJNASR View Post
          I hung mine up at waste level and I LOVE IT.Thank you all for the advice..I have been working the knee strikes and I love it. I found it more fun.

NICE! I wondered how you could make it adjustable and there it is!

We've got to get a bunch of baggers over to your place for a few days.

(* I see you got that Balazs you wanted at the auction! great job installing it).

Last edited by Speedbag; 07-20-2012, 12:23 AM.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Thanks!

Comment

• GHAJNASR
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Nov 2011

Hi Alan ,I tried like hell to make it adjastable it didnt work .The only way it will work is If we drilled hols in the back and it can be done using the hardware that comes with the Balazs .It is mounted at waste height and it seems it is working for everyone.Yes ,That is the same platform that was hung at the event best purchase I've ever made..

My School is yours at anytime and for anyone wishes to come down .
              Peace,Love,Speed bag.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by GHAJNASR View Post
                Hi Alan ,I tried like hell to make it adjastable it didnt work .The only way it will work is If we drilled hols in the back and it can be done using the hardware that comes with the Balazs .It is mounted at waste height and it seems it is working for everyone.Yes ,That is the same platform that was hung at the event best purchase I've ever made..

My School is yours at anytime and for anyone wishes to come down .
                Thank you. I know some of use will be there one day.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

We had one of them hanging at 42"

I think that's what the one on the door was at...

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Chest level is another option

Having a vertical rig thats adjustable would be great. Then one could set the height at chest level and work some serious hooks and elbows. Then lower a bit and get a good workout using the knee. A good warm up exercise for the vert bag is to simply do knee raises. When ready add it in place of the reverse punch. As with the traditional platform, starting with a larger bag, will make it easier to control.
                    The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                      • Apr 2011

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to attach a speedbag platform to the the floor too, and attempt to hit the speed bag with the feet. Soccer players would probably be good at that, if it works.

-Anthony
                      Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-04-2013, 11:20 PM.
                      -Anthony

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
                        Just wondering if anyone has attempted to attach a speedbag platform to the the floor too, and attempt to hit the speed bag with the feet. Soccer players would probably be good at that, if it works.
                        MANY people have in the past....some very famous baggers....but I haven't seen it as of late....Alan?

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

The floor bag concept was explored vigorously in the early days, many ways to utilize floor bags were documented.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchman
                            Speed Bag Historian
                            • Jun 2006

I liked it better when Doris did it........

Comment

• paranday
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2009

I'm partial to Belle...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...