• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoTool
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2011

Re: The Care & Feeding of a Speed Bag Setup

OK, I suppose it's good to check the platform hardware, to be sure it's all nice and tight. And ya gotta show the swivel some TLC with an occassional lube. But how do you do a proper job on your bags? Aside from some leather conditioner, is there any list of "Do's & Do Not's" to keep a speed bag in prime shape?

All my enlightenments in life seem to come from experience, usually punctuated by a loud, mournful "DOH!"

In this case, I killed the valve in my Everlast 4200 by leaving a small pump inserted in it - for several weeks. Of course I never intended to store it that way; I just didn't get back to it as soon as planned. And by then the valve wouldn't close completely, no matter what. I haven't found any ways to fix that problem, so I'm scheduling an autopsy. I know there's always the "Final Inflation" option, but I already have a new bladder ordered, and these bladders have the "snap-in" design valve, so it's an easy R&R.

I'm taking a clue from Alan's buddy: I bought 2 bladders, the normal replacement (4230) and the next size up; figured what the heck, if I don't use it for this, I'll have a spare for my 4208 bag. But I'm also wondering if there's anything else that can help, like adding a dusting of powder when I install the new liner for a sort of lube. Never heard of treating the INSIDE surface of the leather, even tho it seems a bit gnarly at some of the welts.

Also... has anyone tried to customize their bags? Like inserting material in the bottom to add mass? Or this: I've read here about using flat-fixer on leaks; wonder how that affects the action of that bag? Other tweaks?

Your thoughts are welcomed.
    Denny

"And the BEAT GOES ON..."
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

This may repair your valve

When I insert an air needle into my speed bags I usually dip the needle into a jar of Eucerin hand cream. You can try and do that several times over the course of a course of a couple of days attempting to get the valve to close again. It may be worth a try. I would make sure not to us a petroleum based lubricant on the valve but other lubricants may work.

Thanks for the info on adding weight to the bag I may experiment with this on my atomic xs due to the fact that it's way too light.
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by ventanakaz
      ...hey nova i went with a larger bladder (next size up) for my atomic xs. a title bladder that fits 6x9 and 7x10 bags i don't know how much weight it added but it did give it more substance...ralph
      Yes, those atomic bags are TI-NEE! ... and seem light as a feather...

Ralph, I'm wondering if, by putting a larger bladder in a smaller bag, does this affect the rebound qualities of the bag? Just curious.
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...