• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stammbo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2022

Narragansett speed bag platform

Hi all, I have recently acquired a speed bag platform made by the Narragansett Machine Company. This one seems to be an older one, probably late 1890 or very early 1900. It’s all original and works like new. Currently in the process of just cleaning it up to sell, and will post pictures. Are there any recommendations on trustworthy sites to list it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Steve
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

First welcome to the "Forum" and enjoy the great family. Please make sure you are just cleaning and cleaning carefully. If you are going to sell it remember the "VALUE" lies in it's original state an many buyers may prefer to pay more as "YOU" have found it and clean it themselves. Lastly, you are in one of the best trustworthy site to sell it on.

Comment

• stammbo
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2022

Ok guys, sorry it took so long to get my pictures. Here’s what I’ve got. Haven’t touched it yet.

Comment

• dad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2018

Nice, I'd love to buy it but Iam sure you could get more for it than I have to spend. Thank for posting the pictures. By the way stammbo where are you located?

Comment

• stammbo
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2022

I’m in Milwaukee.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

It's about two thirds of the way up. I think, but I'm going to double check, the Everlast version the worm was full length, https://speedbagforum.com/forums/for...-on-ebay/page2

Comment

• stammbo
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Mar 2022

I will check it out when I get back into town and get more detailed pictures. Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

• stammbo
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Mar 2022

As for the jackscrew, here’s a page from 1890’s gym advertising

Comment

• stammbo
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2022

That spot that looks like a crack may just be the seam from where the arm attaches to the logo/adjusting platform. Of course I’m out of town and it’s driving me nuts to not be able to check it out.

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

Might have been for ease of assembly. I would imagine that these were shipped out in pieces in stead ready to mount. People tended to be a bit more mechanically inclined in those days. The Ford model T came with instructions on how to do a routine engine rebuild, including pouring babbitt bearings.

Comment

• dad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      Might have been for ease of assembly. I would imagine that these were shipped out in pieces in stead ready to mount. People tended to be a bit more mechanically inclined in those days. The Ford model T came with instructions on how to do a routine engine rebuild, including pouring babbitt bearings.
                      stammbo, please forgive me for changing the subject for a moment but I have to ask something that has been bugging me for years, "Dutchman" what is it that possesses you to gather all this information? I don't just accept it, I check it out and you always seem to right. Sorry, stammbo my curiosity just got the best of me, hope you understand.

Comment

• stammbo
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Mar 2022

No problem, finding someone with vast historical knowledge is very rare these days…

Comment

• dad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2018

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh at that, I understand that everyone has their own area of knowledge and there is so much I don't know that so many could teach me, but that was funny.
                          Thanks for sharing that one.

Comment

• stammbo
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Mar 2022

Finally got everything checked out. There are no cracks, it was just the light shining through the space between the mounting bolt area.

Comment

• stammbo
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Mar 2022

I’m looking to sell the platform and wall weight machine with Post leather gloves and Everlast kangaroo bag. If anyone here is interested let me know. I believe the wall machine is also from Narragansett.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...