• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sambista
    • Sep 2021

Beginner saying "hi"!

Hi, folks!

I seem to have stumbled upon something that has excited me perhaps a little more than is reasonable!

Through a couple of sporting injuries in the last year, I now have two somewhat-damaged and under-used shoulders... I haven't yet started physio, but will. When I started seeing speedbag videos appear in my feed a couple of weeks ago, they caught my attention. Then after digging a bit and watching a number of the interviews and demos etc on youtube, I jumped right in!

I started with a Meister 7.5x5" (S) and swivel and found an old door in a local skip from which I cut a couple of platforms. Realising how fast that bag was, then also ordered a Meister 10.5x7" (L) and an Everlast 9x6" (M). So, I now already own 3 bags, which is a bit crazy for week one, no?

But I've got the bible, a background in Brazilian Samba hand-drumming and can't wait to find some flow over the winter.

Looking forward to printing a quieter swivel, too.

A pleasure to find you here.
    Matt.
  • Antwan
    • Mar 2021

Welcome on the forum.
    Nothing crazy about it, the bag is very addictive
    I only started bible bagging sindce the end of march this year and haven't had one day i didn't hit it!!
    it's a community of very helpful and kind people.
    if you want a silent swive i suggest you contact the trasher house, he makes the evo13 swivel and it's a real joy.
    don't know where you're from but shippin shouldn't be a problem, if you send jeff a message he'll be happy to help you.
    The forum can somtimes be quiet but most of us are very active on instagram, i'm speedbag_racer feel free to add me!

Have fun speedbagging it's the best

Comment

• dad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2018

Welcome Sambista, a lot of good people and great advice when you need it, but you have to be very careful because Antwan is right " the bag is very addictive", ENJOY

Comment

• Sambista
        • Sep 2021

Thanks, both!

Got a long way to go, but sounding better today than I did yesterday.
        ​​

Comment

• dad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2018

You have already found the hook, all things practiced makes the next day better. I have found that it can consume me but most often it's the rhythm of the bag that can bring me to a space of solitude.

Comment

• Sambista
            • Sep 2021

I need to be conscious of my shoulders... they may be a little behind my head in all this. I walk past the bags frequently, so lots of little opportunities throughout the day.

Currently trying to make myself a ball swivel (3d printed housing for a 1" nylon ball with M4 or M5 welded eye).

I "may or may not" have just ordered the Meister 9.5x6" (M) too, just to make the set. I'd be embarrassed to say I had... I still can't really play the thing yet!
            Last edited by Sambista; 09-25-2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Sambista
              • Sep 2021

That's cool what you say about the "rhythm of the bag"... I'm looking forward to lots of that.

I particularly enjoyed this quote from Alan:

"One of the most unique aspects of the speed bag is the sound, and the sound of the speed bag is actually a blessing and a curse because for the person hitting it, it's everything; for the people that don't care about it and are having to listen to it, it's... you know... we apologise to them!"

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Sambista View Post
                Hi, folks!

I seem to have stumbled upon something that has excited me perhaps a little more than is reasonable!

Through a couple of sporting injuries in the last year, I now have two somewhat-damaged and under-used shoulders... I haven't yet started physio, but will. When I started seeing speedbag videos appear in my feed a couple of weeks ago, they caught my attention. Then after digging a bit and watching a number of the interviews and demos etc on youtube, I jumped right in!

I started with a Meister 7.5x5" (S) and swivel and found an old door in a local skip from which I cut a couple of platforms. Realising how fast that bag was, then also ordered a Meister 10.5x7" (L) and an Everlast 9x6" (M). So, I now already own 3 bags, which is a bit crazy for week one, no?

But I've got the bible, a background in Brazilian Samba hand-drumming and can't wait to find some flow over the winter.

Looking forward to printing a quieter swivel, too.

A pleasure to find you here.
                Matt.
                Welcome to speed bagging and this Sambista

I can empathize with your shoulder issues. I've had 7 surgeries on mine and left was replaced almost 15 years ago. still punching, just not so much as before. Ventanakaz is correct in lowering your board/bag height. Sometimes I lower my board where it is Just a inch or so above my head. I can put up a small bag and keep the bag belly at my chest or throat level, making it a lot easier on my shoulders. As for a ballhook, the Thrasher is a great choice. You can get them here. https://www.thethrasherhouse.com/evo-13-ice-series

There are a few other "swivel makers" around but they are "on again, off again" about production.

Just a note, speed bagging is not a race and it's easy to overdue it at the beginning because it's just so much fun This is a great forum for getting detailed advice or help about speed bag equipment and training. When you can post some video's on Youtube let us know so we can get a look at ya. We normally prefer YouTube over instagram because you can't link instagram videos into the forum like you can youtube, Most of us are also on Instagram, but save or serious bagging "talk" for the forum.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Sambista
                  • Sep 2021

Thanks, both, and hi!

My mounting is fixed and perhaps just a little too high as it is. I'll maybe double up the board to get a better starting height, and then make a small step up, to bring the bag level down. Thanks for the tip, it hadn't occurred to me.

I've been guarding my upper body quite a bit recently, and just raising my arms to hit the bag for a few days now almost feels like more work than my shoulders have done in months. Physically, I think I am taking it easy enough to start with. Just gotta watch.

It's all "right up my street" though and with four bags before I can actually do much, really hope it works out and I've not wasted money. I'm excited enough, and actually think quite the opposite... could be the start of something beautiful, haha!
                  ​​

Comment

• DizzyD
                    • Jun 2020

Hi Sambista and welcome to the Forum! As you have already got to know, there’s much help and really nice people up here. If you really get into that addiction, you will continue with 3 new bags every week over the next year

Comment

• Sambista
                      • Sep 2021

Thanks, Dizzy!

Originally posted by DizzyD View Post
                      If you really get into that addiction, you will continue with 3 new bags every week over the next year
                      I'm on swivel prototype #5... enough of a distraction to keep the bag-buying habit at bay for a while.

Edit: nylon balls got delivered, now printing prototype #6...
                      Last edited by Sambista; 09-26-2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Pete
                        • Nov 2020

Welcome Sambista. A lot of useful information on here and good people that are happy to answer any questions you might have. Best of luck to you with your shoulder rehab and swivel printing. Before you know it you will be running out of space to put your bags.

Originally posted by Sambista View Post
                        Thanks, both, and hi!

My mounting is fixed and perhaps just a little too high as it is. I'll maybe double up the board to get a better starting height, and then make a small step up, to bring the bag level down. Thanks for the tip, it hadn't occurred to me.

I've been guarding my upper body quite a bit recently, and just raising my arms to hit the bag for a few days now almost feels like more work than my shoulders have done in months. Physically, I think I am taking it easy enough to start with. Just gotta watch.

It's all "right up my street" though and with four bags before I can actually do much, really hope it works out and I've not wasted money. I'm excited enough, and actually think quite the opposite... could be the start of something beautiful, haha!
                        ​​
                        I went with the fixed drum as well and made a three tier platform with hinges. Here's some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645 (1).jpg
Views:	208
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	126770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0644 (1).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	126772Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0643 (1).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	126771

Comment

• Sambista
                          • Sep 2021

Thank you for the welcome, Pete.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          Here's some pics.
                          Wow! That's a dedicated set up right there! Ha!

Comment

• Pete
                            • Nov 2020

yes dedicated, haha. You get it. Guests not so much until they try it out

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jul 2019

Welcome Sambista , you are gonna love it here. Great folks with a lot of knowledge on this forum.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...