• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim B.
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2021

New Member Seeking Advice

Question:
    Hello, I am looking for some recommendations for a heavier speed bag that will give more of a cardio type workout if I have any lower body injuries. The biggest size that will fit my board would be around 10" long.

Background:
    I got back into martial arts at the start of the lockdown last year and started retraining in boxing, Thai boxing and grappling with relatives five days a week. Upon watching some videos on using the speed bag by Ramsey Dewey and the Punch Professor:
    Let’s break down my speedbag hand fighting pattern #7 in this continuing series on practical applications of speedbag patterns for real fighting. This hand f...

Lb for Lb1 Saul Alvarez* middleweight2 Terence Crawford* welterweight3 Gennady Golovkin middleweight4 Vasiliy Lomachenko* lightweight5 Anthony Joshua heavywe...

I learned that the speed bag could be a more versatile tool than I'd realised, and invested in a cheap one. Then I noticed my parrying skills improving rapidly when I was sparring. Now I'm using a Title 6x9 Super Fast Speed Bag on a home made platform, and have a 5x8 Platinum Perilous, and 5x7.5 Meister speed bag on the way. I'm really enjoying using the speed bag in it's own end and learning new tricks on it, and am eyeing up a Cleto Reyes bag for the future.
  • Pete
    • Nov 2020

Welcome Jim. It's a strange coincidence but the first bag I bought was a title super fast 6 x 9 followed by Meister 5 x 7.5, a cleto 6 x 9, and a platinum 6 x 9. I would definitely recommend adding a cleto to your collection. It's a bit of a price jump but worth it. The balazs lazer is also a bit pricey but if you are looking for a heavier bag that is a good one. Unlike some heavy speed bags the lazer is also really fast. A lot of thought went into making that bag and the leather on it is top notch. Another modern heavier speed bag is the title big blue(super speed 10 x 12) but I have no experience with it. There are vintage "striking" bags that also have what you are looking for. If you search striking bag on the forum you will find a lot more information from people with much more experience and knowledge than myself.

Comment

• Jim B.
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Apr 2021

Cheers for the welcome Pete. I'm going to modify my speed bag platform tomorrow to allow it to take a 8x11 bag. I think the blue 10x12 would be a tad too big for it. Do you think a Super Speed 8x11, or a Lazer 8x11 would give a more strenuous workout?

Comment

• Pete
        • Nov 2020

The lazer for sure
        Speed Bag - Lazer (balazsboxing.com)

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

The Title Big Blue was designed to be used on a platform with a minimum diameter of 24" The old school bags that Pete mentioned require on average a 30" minimum diameter platform, with some large enough to need 36" to 42"diameter.

Comment

• dad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2018

Welcome Jim B. I'M sure you will really like this forum, a lot of good people with great information. Sorry I do not have enough knowledge to help your with your problem but the "Dutchman" sure does. Welcome again and enjoy the journey.

Comment

• Jim B.
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Apr 2021

Thanks again. I ordered a medium Cleto last night, so will give a larger bag some thought over the coming months. I've now Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-20_08-32-49.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	740.1 KB
ID:	125160doubled the thickness of my platform, reinforced it, and brought it further out so it should have no problems fitting the larger Lazer.

Comment

• Pete
                • Nov 2020

Good call, and nice set up.. The balazs bag will put it's sturdiness to the test

Comment

• Jim B.
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Apr 2021

The Platinum Perilous arrived today. It seems a good bag apart from it hanging squint. Is this likely to affect its performance? I'm in the UK which will make it a hassle returning it to Forza Sports in the US.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Jim B.
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Apr 2021

That's great to hear, I'll look forward to giving the bag a good rattle tomorrow

Comment

• Pete
                      • Nov 2020

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                      Does anyone here have experience hitting on the largest Balazs bag, Out of the two models they offer, which one is heavier in weight
                      The lazer is much heavier than the lightning. The double layered kevlar bladder gives it some weight. They also have a money back guarantee if you don't like it. I haven't picked up one of there DEB's yet but it looks nice. It has the short loops like the tuff wear DEB's.

Comment

• Jim B.
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Apr 2021

I've wanted a Cleto bag for a while. That'll mainly be for a bit variety to change my bag each day as I practice various tricks. The Lazer will be more for conditioning if I have a lower body injury that stops me doing heavy bag work, pad work or sparring. At the moment I have a slipped disc and the speed bag is one thing that doesn't aggravate it.

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Pete View Post

The lazer is much heavier than the lightning. The double layered kevlar bladder gives it some weight. They also have a money back guarantee if you don't like it. I haven't picked up one of there DEB's yet but it looks nice. It has the short loops like the tuff wear DEB's.
                          That is true. They made the 4200 Gyro model lighter. That lazer will give your hands a pounding after awhile.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

Welcome to the fringe Jim! I like a heavier bag too, the Lazer or Fighting Sports 6x9 both fit the bill. I’m sure I’ve posted videos hitting those bags.
                            be sure to checkout the film at http://www.artofthebag.com and the YouTube channel. Bag On!
                            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Jim B.
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Apr 2021

Cheers Zaza, will do! I've run into a bit of a problem looking for a bigger speed bag. It turns out Balazs don't ship to the UK. I found an Everlast 4210 in Bulgaria, as it looks as weighty bag, but they don't ship to the UK either. I'm considering the Title Blue, though it may be too big. Does anyone have a weight for the Title black and yellow 8x11?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...