X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
    It is really a shame there is such a potential unknown underground of baggers out there. Maybe people get really into it for a few months then give it up? I can understand why the forum is not as popular as it used to be 5 to 10 years ago. An online forum is a bit passe these days. I see a little interest on Instagram, some say they know of the forum, say they will check it out, but then never show up here. The skunk was posting vids on IG in high gear there for a while right after SBX, and the hashtags where popping for a while. But that all seemed to fizzle pretty quickly. Similar with B.D. But nothing yet approached a "critical mass" that could bring the underground together.
    That's True, but I think it's been that way for a long time. People's interest in "forum" stuff probably fluctuates like their interest (or time) for the speed bag. I've been a member since Feb 2006, and from that time "we" (forum) has seen a lot of "really active" members, most for a sort period of time (1-2 years) and then they disappear. Some posted every night on lots of topics - and then disappear. Perhaps they got out of bagging (For a while) or just lost interest or were learning something else and jumped into another forum on their next interest / obsession. For the younger crowd more used to tons of variety with short attention spans, they chose the quick hits places like snapchat, Instagram, twitter, whatever, but those are 10-20 sec blurbs and short "comments", not discussion.Through the years my own interest may wax and wane. There were weeks when I couldn't wait to spend the evening on SBF, and often spent 2-3 hours formulating a "teaching answer", complete with freeze frame pictures from videos and BMP created pictures of text explanation of how to write a certain combination. Span my posts and you find I tend to write "a lot" or "long posts", but it's hard to actually teach the complexities of speed bagging, and it's many variations with two or three sentences. Then there have been times when I might "check in" once a week or so, during my own pursuit of some other online interest, or life issue that doesn't allow my evenings to sit and talk speed bag. It also depends on the activity and quality of the current active members. As of now, maybe two or three of the regular "gathering" attendees are active, but most are long gone from regular posting. They may post a few comments before or after the gathering...then poof-gone. People that have been around a while have usually worked through the ever present "favorite bag" or swivel or whatever issue that shows up three of four times a year. I try to maintain interest through that because bags are constantly changing. Those available in 2019 are not the same as those in 2010, 2006 etc. the speed bag variations over the years in shape, quality, materials etc. is constantly changing and I Personally don't keep up with all of that anymore. The other reason is many of those types of posts are from NEW members who might be a new bagger and this is all new and exciting and they will be active for,,,let's give it a year. maybe more. I can say the overall speed bag skill level of "active members" is much higher than in in the past. I think that is because they may have seen, and mimic, youtube video's of impressive baggers and by they time they join, they got some skills. Many of the latest member video's have very impressive baggin skill, beyond the "how do I link" level. I've had various moments in my life when the awe and excitement of "speed bagging" roared back and I was re-energized. They fire me up to stay more active and go to my bag to "try and figure that one out." I find the gathering has that effect for every year someone throws down some outrageous combinations none of us has seen. AND some of that is by people who are NOT forum members. Or if they are, they don't post. WE do have a lot of "silent readers" who do not post. Perhaps they don't like to write or don't write well enough in their own mind to engage. Not everyone likes to write or can express themselves that way. I guess there is a certain crowd that would be more satisfied to do all things by hashtag posts on twitter. Short and quick. to me that would be boring. But our current "active" forum members are really awesome with fresh perspectives and interesting topics to rant about, this being one!
    Last edited by Speedbag; 11-20-2019, 10:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post
    I don’t understand why speedbagging isn’t more popular. All you need is a little space a swivel and speedbag. You can build your own platform. Seems like an inexpensive hobby.Or a way of life for some nuts.
    True, buy you also have to factor in noise and vibration. Lots of fitness centers don't want them OR got rid of them due to the noise. Sure the bagger loves it. Other people, not so much.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 11-21-2019, 08:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BagBoy
    replied

For some reason, fist roll makes me think of cartoons or comedy movies. I can't put my finger on it, just some old memories. Popeye, Bugs Bunny maybe?
    Yeah, I've seen it in cartoons where one character fist rolls the others face. Also, I believe you may see this in a Three Stooges episode. Laurel and Hardy perhaps? I know what you mean though.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
    I'll tell ya's one thing I've noticed. EVERY time a guest (or my bass player or drummer) is over and they see my baggin area they walk up to a platform and do one of two things. 1. they attempt a fist roll. Or, they try triplets. This tells me that they've all seen bag footage and or Rocky. But they all seem to try something.. When they try for a triplet their arms are all over the place as they hunt for the bag making huge circles and almost banging their knuckles on the top edge of the platform.

But I digress. It's like they instinctually are familiar with fist roll or triplets. But that's just exposure to said movie ETC
    For some reason, fist roll makes me think of cartoons or comedy movies. I can't put my finger on it, just some old memories. Popeye, Bugs Bunny maybe?

Leave a comment:

• BagBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post

Baggers > stamp collectors. The bagger’s hand and elbow speed would allow him/her to land at least four or five strikes before the stamp collector knew what was happening. The accuracy developed by the bagger would ensure the ‘Inverted Jenny’ is included in the handful of stamps pocketed while the stamp collector was stunned.
    +1 I literally laughed out loud. Audible. We gotta get those damn stamp collectors before they get us!

Leave a comment:

• LouisvilleBagr
    replied

Thank you, COOP! my fellow "macho stamp collector"
    Baggers > stamp collectors. The bagger’s hand and elbow speed would allow him/her to land at least four or five strikes before the stamp collector knew what was happening. The accuracy developed by the bagger would ensure the ‘Inverted Jenny’ is included in the handful of stamps pocketed while the stamp collector was stunned.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• BagBoy
    replied
    I'll tell ya's one thing I've noticed. EVERY time a guest (or my bass player or drummer) is over and they see my baggin area they walk up to a platform and do one of two things. 1. they attempt a fist roll. Or, they try triplets. This tells me that they've all seen bag footage and or Rocky. But they all seem to try something.. When they try for a triplet their arms are all over the place as they hunt for the bag making huge circles and almost banging their knuckles on the top edge of the platform.

But I digress. It's like they instinctually are familiar with fist roll or triplets. But that's just exposure to said movie ETC

Leave a comment:

• Mickey Dix
    replied
    I don’t understand why speedbagging isn’t more popular. All you need is a little space a swivel and speedbag. You can build your own platform. Seems like an inexpensive hobby.Or a way of life for some nuts.

Leave a comment:

• Cazbag
    replied

Our bass player thinks I'm nuts.

I don't plan on editing this one unless I've got a great reason. I'm a macho stamp collector.
    Hmmmm. He may be on to something.......

Leave a comment:

• BagBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by COOP View Post

Batboy kudos to you for such a creative thread! Nice to just throw out some ideas and watch the response. Thinking out of the box!!! That's what's progressed our hobby (obsession) haa haa.
    Thank you, COOP! my fellow "macho stamp collector"

Leave a comment:

• COOP
    replied

I guess not everybody gets bit by the bug in the same way we do. Our bass player thinks I'm nuts. A while ago after practice one night he motioned over to my baggin area and asked me "what the hell is this all about and when the hell does it stop?" I tried to explain the addiction to him as best I could. He's content with learning triplets and a fist roll but that's it. After telling him everything about different sized bags, hitting with elbows, hitting all around the bag, the sounds of the bag.. I went through everything. He just glazed over and said something to the effect of "sounds like a bunch of macho stamp collectors" Some people just don't get it.

Yet they'll watch bible bagging and be very complimentary as well.. I don't know. It never gets old and no set is the same twice.

I don't plan on editing this one unless I've got a great reason. I'm a macho stamp collector.
    Batboy kudos to you for such a creative thread! Nice to just throw out some ideas and watch the response. Thinking out of the box!!! That's what's progressed our hobby (obsession) haa haa.

Leave a comment:

• BagBoy
    replied
    It is really a shame there is such a potential unknown underground of baggers out there. Maybe people get really into it for a few months then give it up? I can understand why the forum is not as popular as it used to be 5 to 10 years ago. An online forum is a bit passe these days. I see a little interest on Instagram, some say they know of the forum, say they will check it out, but then never show up here. The skunk was posting vids on IG in high gear there for a while right after SBX, and the hashtags where popping for a while. But that all seemed to fizzle pretty quickly. Similar with B.D. But nothing yet approached a "critical mass" that could bring the underground together.
    I guess not everybody gets bit by the bug in the same way we do. Our bass player thinks I'm nuts. A while ago after practice one night he motioned over to my baggin area and asked me "what the hell is this all about and when the hell does it stop?" I tried to explain the addiction to him as best I could. He's content with learning triplets and a fist roll but that's it. After telling him everything about different sized bags, hitting with elbows, hitting all around the bag, the sounds of the bag.. I went through everything. He just glazed over and said something to the effect of "sounds like a bunch of macho stamp collectors" Some people just don't get it.

Yet they'll watch bible bagging and be very complimentary as well.. I don't know. It never gets old and no set is the same twice.

Last edited by BagBoy; 11-17-2019, 02:33 PM. Reason: Legitimate zpelling mistake now fixed

Leave a comment:

• BagBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

I know a bunch of Canadian Baggers that are not forum members. I was sending Speed Bag Bible info up there for 10 years before the forum started.
    Alan, that's comforting to hear. I had no idea..

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied

I don't know how many Canadian baggers there are. .When I look back deep into the forum archives I see there were a lot more Canadians than I thought there would ever be.. Not so much now. Perhaps we should stick to hockey.
    I know a bunch of Canadian Baggers that are not forum members. I was sending Speed Bag Bible info up there for 10 years before the forum started.

Leave a comment:

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...