• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Porter 918 Swivel

Greetings Everyone,

As we all know there is a ball hook swivel shortage going on currently. It’s really cool to see all the members who are taking it upon themselves to design swivels, thank you to those who are doing it.

If anyone happens to be hunting for one, there is currently a vintage Porter 918 ball hook swivel on EBay for $20. It’s a very heavy, solidly built piece. The base is threaded and the eye bolt has an adjustable lock screw. The hook hangs around 3.5 inches from the platform at its default length. The action is smooth and sounds good, attached below is a small clip.

Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 06-20-2020, 07:58 PM.
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Nice job LoisvilleBagr. Great control

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by dad View Post
      Nice job LoisvilleBagr. Great control
      Thanks dad, just playing around with that Porter 918. It’s not bad if anyone is having trouble finding a ball hook swivel.

Comment

• Mickey Dix
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
        Greetings Everyone,

As we all know there is a ball hook swivel shortage going on currently. It’s really cool to see all the members who are taking it upon themselves to design swivels, thank you to those who are doing it.

If anyone happens to be hunting for one, there is currently a vintage Porter 918 ball hook swivel on EBay for $20. It’s a very heavy, solidly built piece. The base is threaded and the eye bolt has an adjustable lock screw. The hook hangs around 3.5 inches from the platform at its default length. The action is smooth and sounds good, attached below is a small clip.

Hi LouisvilleBagr,Very fluid and a great variety of strikes!!! Thanks for the review of the Porter 918 swivel.Bag on brother!!!

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jun 2019

Update...if anyone decides to try one of these swivels, please inspect it well before use. I've been alerted to some units that are damaged or poorly manufactured. If you notice any metal flaking off where the ball meets the base, dont use it. Send it back or exchange it for one that is in perfect condition. I wouldn't want any metal flakes going where they should not be.
          Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 06-23-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Bigmark408
            Banned
            • Jun 2020

Hi louisvillebagr, Mine came yesterday and after a couple hours use I noticed a wear pattern where the ball was starting to break in, I showed my dad and he told me to hit it on the buffing wheel. With some pink compound the ball polished pretty fast.

the initial wear area had a brown hue to it which my dad said was copper and that the unit was chromed, he says copper, nickel, chrome was the process.

the flaking you experienced must have been one that the chrome or nickel didn’t attach to the copper properly.

the long link part on mine still sucks but the action is noticeably smoother.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Bigmark408 View Post
              Hi louisvillebagr, Mine came yesterday and after a couple hours use I noticed a wear pattern where the ball was starting to break in, I showed my dad and he told me to hit it on the buffing wheel. With some pink compound the ball polished pretty fast.

the initial wear area had a brown hue to it which my dad said was copper and that the unit was chromed, he says copper, nickel, chrome was the process.

the flaking you experienced must have been one that the chrome or nickel didn’t attach to the copper properly.

the long link part on mine still sucks but the action is noticeably smoother.
              That’s good news! Hopefully that can hold you over until you find an upgrade.

Comment

• Bigmark408
                Banned
                • Jun 2020

Changed my mind today, the noise drove me crazy.

Tomorrow it’s back to my LMF.

Comment

• GumbysUncle
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2020

I picked up one of these as well. I like the free movement but the noise is crazy. Ear plugs required, I think this could cause hearing damage without.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...