• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JohnnieBoy View Post
    Hi there, I'm new to the forum and thought I would add my project to the thread and express my appreciation for some of the ideas posted here by the other users. I've never used a bag before but thought it would be a welcome addition to our gym downstairs. Given that I'm of a frugal sort and a carpenter by trade, I figured that with the right inspiration and tools a decent, solid platform could be fashioned out of the various bits and bobs in my workshop.

The metal frame was made out of two 10' lengths of galvanized 'punched angle iron'. I cleaned them up and spray-painted them with galvanized primer and then gloss-black. The uprights are screwed to my wall studs, which are spaced 16" on-centre, with two 2 1/2" long #12 sized screws per upright. Knowing the spacing of your studs is important to know when you later on attach the supports to the platform.

I took the opportunity to make a circle-cutting jig for my handheld router (look it up on the internet or Woodsmith 'Router Workshop' magazine) and made two 24" diameter circles out of 3/4" MDF. I Gorilla glued and clamped them together and used some 1 1/4" drywall screws (6 per side, spaced equally apart) to ensure a solid fit. The next morning I beltsanded smooth the edge of the now 1 1/2" thick disc and proceed to rough cut some red laminate/Formica/Arborite I had left over from a previous job. Once I had contact-cemented the material to the disc and given it a couple hours to cure, I laminate trimmed it with a router and prepared to attach the supports.

You have to space the supports so that when it is all assembled, it will be easy to hook the top (ie. the diagonal portion), thread on your wingnuts, and then slip your bolts in on the bottom (ie. the horizonal portion) and secure with another set of wingnuts. For attaching the platform, I countersunk the bolt and washer from the underside so that the nut heads won't damage the speed bag in one of my future flurries. The back edge of the platform is approximately 1" from the wall. The swivel is attached in the centre with four 1 3/4" #8 screws.

After the platform is put into position, the bag is attached and I put a sand bag on top to cut down on any vibration.

Hope you like the pictures (I had to resize them to fit per the posting guidelines), as I'm very pleased with the outcome. I started on a Saturday morning, and with trying to bargain shop for the various pieces to no-avail, making my router jig, and otherwise doing the job right, I got the job done by Sunday evening. It could have been done in a day without painting the angle iron, doing the laminate, and just jig-sawing a circle.

Cost: angle iron ($20 cdn), nuts, washers, bolts ($5 cdn), spray paint ($8). If you have to buy a sheet of 3/4" MDF, it may cost around $25 for a 4'x8' sheet. The laminate, I'm not sure off-hand. The swivel was $16 at Wal-mart, and the bag around $35.
    Man, that is a really nice (and original) looking unit. I have several professional, purchased boards from Ringside Boxing that have that red lamination on them, and they don't look one bit better than yours. I'm always getting emails about "making a home unit" and I think yours tops the list of simplicity, easy of finding material, and construction plan. Great Job, JohnnieBoy!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by VJ87 View Post
      [IMG]

Just found this thread, will post more updated pics of it with 8 coats of poly-urethane stain pics above show 1 coat. Setup cost around 24~ bux. Speed bag 29.99, and hinge 19.99.
      your platform looks good and cost effective, especially the brackets and cables. Do you get much vibration? Or does tightening up the cable cut down on it?
      sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by JohnnieBoy View Post
        Hi there, I'm new to the forum and thought I would add my project to the thread and express my appreciation for some of the ideas posted here by the other users. I've never used a bag before but thought it would be a welcome addition to our gym downstairs. Given that I'm of a frugal sort and a carpenter by trade, I figured that with the right inspiration and tools a decent, solid platform could be fashioned out of the various bits and bobs in my workshop.

The metal frame was made out of two 10' lengths of galvanized 'punched angle iron'. I cleaned them up and spray-painted them with galvanized primer and then gloss-black. The uprights are screwed to my wall studs, which are spaced 16" on-centre, with two 2 1/2" long #12 sized screws per upright. Knowing the spacing of your studs is important to know when you later on attach the supports to the platform.

I took the opportunity to make a circle-cutting jig for my handheld router (look it up on the internet or Woodsmith 'Router Workshop' magazine) and made two 24" diameter circles out of 3/4" MDF. I Gorilla glued and clamped them together and used some 1 1/4" drywall screws (6 per side, spaced equally apart) to ensure a solid fit. The next morning I beltsanded smooth the edge of the now 1 1/2" thick disc and proceed to rough cut some red laminate/Formica/Arborite I had left over from a previous job. Once I had contact-cemented the material to the disc and given it a couple hours to cure, I laminate trimmed it with a router and prepared to attach the supports.

You have to space the supports so that when it is all assembled, it will be easy to hook the top (ie. the diagonal portion), thread on your wingnuts, and then slip your bolts in on the bottom (ie. the horizonal portion) and secure with another set of wingnuts. For attaching the platform, I countersunk the bolt and washer from the underside so that the nut heads won't damage the speed bag in one of my future flurries. The back edge of the platform is approximately 1" from the wall. The swivel is attached in the centre with four 1 3/4" #8 screws.

After the platform is put into position, the bag is attached and I put a sand bag on top to cut down on any vibration.

Hope you like the pictures (I had to resize them to fit per the posting guidelines), as I'm very pleased with the outcome. I started on a Saturday morning, and with trying to bargain shop for the various pieces to no-avail, making my router jig, and otherwise doing the job right, I got the job done by Sunday evening. It could have been done in a day without painting the angle iron, doing the laminate, and just jig-sawing a circle.

Cost: angle iron ($20 cdn), nuts, washers, bolts ($5 cdn), spray paint ($8). If you have to buy a sheet of 3/4" MDF, it may cost around $25 for a 4'x8' sheet. The laminate, I'm not sure off-hand. The swivel was $16 at Wal-mart, and the bag around $35.
        Man that is a pro job!!! I don't have access to the tools you have but, I really only need the angle iron, nuts,washers, etc. since I already have a platform, thanks for sharing!
        sigpic

Comment

• VJ87
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
          your platform looks good and cost effective, especially the brackets and cables. Do you get much vibration? Or does tightening up the cable cut down on it?

There is no vibration at all. And since the cable's are new you will notice that they stretch. Just turn tension thing takes about a 1/4 turn usually and your good again. This setup seems to be solid and there is no bounce.

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

There is no vibration at all. And since the cable's are new you will notice that they stretch. Just turn tension thing takes about a 1/4 turn usually and your good again. This setup seems to be solid and there is no bounce.
            Could you break down the cost for everything?
            sigpic

Comment

• VJ87
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2007

Lets see the metal bars on wall 5 bux each at home depot, two triangles screwed onto wood 4 bux each, string 4 bux for 30 ft at walmart. I could just ship you some if you cover shipping. Tension thing was 6 bux, u hook thingy was 4 bux i think for both at walmart. Wood was 3 bux for 8 feet. And stuff i didnt include in expense were stuff like glue, wood putty, saw to cut circle because i already had that stuff. Polyurethane coat with stain was 3 bux at walmart i put 8 or so coats on there and i also had screws already. I have some extra stuff left over if you were planning on building it ill give you it just cover shipping. I have the tension thing, and some things that go on string to keep it in place, and string i could even send you some wood putty with glue also. Let me know, also let me know if you want more pics to show how its held together.

Comment

• roberthelpus
                • Dec 2007

So that is string or rope and not wire rope/cable. Right?

Comment

• VJ87
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2007

Sorry its steel wound cable.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Lets see the metal bars on wall 5 bux each at home depot, two triangles screwed onto wood 4 bux each, string 4 bux for 30 ft at walmart. I could just ship you some if you cover shipping. Tension thing was 6 bux, u hook thingy was 4 bux i think for both at walmart. Wood was 3 bux for 8 feet. And stuff i didnt include in expense were stuff like glue, wood putty, saw to cut circle because i already had that stuff. Polyurethane coat with stain was 3 bux at walmart i put 8 or so coats on there and i also had screws already. I have some extra stuff left over if you were planning on building it ill give you it just cover shipping. I have the tension thing, and some things that go on string to keep it in place, and string i could even send you some wood putty with glue also. Let me know, also let me know if you want more pics to show how its held together.
                    Wow!! Where's your Home Depot!? I went to the one by my house and and the metal bars and triangles where way more expensive! I ended up buying the materials to copy Johnnieboy's design just cuz they were cheaper if you can believe that. I took pictures of both of your setups with me cuz I was having a hard time deciding which one to try and emulate but cost won over style. You both did a great job on your platforms and thanks a ton for sharing!! I'm still keeping copies of yours VJ87 just in case I come across the materials.
                    sigpic

Comment

• VJ87
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Dec 2007

Heh cool ya dont know why they would be more expensive. Goodluck though.

Comment

• tobs3n
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Apr 2008

Hello speedbaggers,

I am a 22 years old and I am from Germany.
                        First thanks to Alan Kahn. As I looked at his homepage, i was very impressed about, what he can do with the speedbag. I wanted to learn sppedbagging. I read and learned a lot on his page. but it wasen't enough for me. I wanted to have his 2 hour speedbag Training DVD, but you can't find it in Europe. But fortunately I found his SpeedBag Bible at amazon.de. What a amazing book, special thanks to Alan Kahn.

I like boxing, I have my own heavy bag about 6 years. I started to learn speedbagging a month ago. Its a lot of fun, especially if you learn more and more techniques.

I decided to built my own speedbag platform, because I wanted to have a adjustable one. These platforms are very expensive in Germany, but I think in US too.

Here are some pics of my own homemade adjustable speedbag platform:

-the adjustable platform part is made of steel, painted in black
                        -the board, old wood found in my garage
                        -swivel isen't the best( unknown chain swivel)
                        -bag Everlast 9x6 shown on picture, and a Ju-Sports 12x8( german brand)

-the costs of the platform were about 80 euro--> 120 USD
                        -wood costs nothing
                        -speedbag and swivel were about 50 euro--> 77 USD

greats

tobias

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by tobs3n View Post
                          Hello speedbaggers,

I am a 22 years old and I am from Germany.
                          First thanks to Alan Kahn. As I looked at his homepage, i was very impressed about, what he can do with the speedbag. I wanted to learn sppedbagging. I read and learned a lot on his page. but it wasen't enough for me. I wanted to have his 2 hour speedbag Training DVD, but you can't find it in Europe. But fortunately I found his SpeedBag Bible at amazon.de. What a amazing book, special thanks to Alan Kahn.

greats

tobias
                          Hi Tobias.

thanks for the comments. PM me here on the board and I Can get you a DVD over in Germany.

Your board looks very nice. Great Job. welcome to the forum.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Pegasos
                            • Feb 2007

Alright, here it is, it took me some time to plan it because it is a ceiling mount, i used M8 anchors and these tough pieces used for placing shelves on the wall. Each one of the pieces on the top is designed to hold about 50 kilos, the ones on the bottom about 25 kilos each.

They are connected with screws through another piece, designed to hang things on the wall from too. I had to drill some holes in the angled pieces to make a fit, but it proved to be more difficult than i imagined.. i don't know what kind of material they used to make them, but using the best drill for metal and not only my whole strength but my entire weight on top of that, it took me about 30 minutes to drill each hole in the angled pieces!

So the platform is adjustable, if you screw and unscrew the screws of course.

I used special washers (anti-vibration ones).

Here it is.

The point is, ceilings like my own weren't made to be drilled..

Once i had all measurements done, in my first hole i stumbled upon a metal rod, just 2cm deep! So i had to buy a sensor, to find out the ceiling has metal rods every 10 centimeteres (3 inches) vertically and every 20-30 cm horizontally, but not in completely straight lines! The building is about 50 years old, and other small metal pieces were around, inside the cement, making my job of detecting the metal rods more difficult..

Anyway, i had some difficulties and i wouldn't recommend such a mount on such a kind of ceiling (i m sure i m the only one who attempted it so far). There are better things to spend your time at! lol

But since i pulled it out, here it is, to my pleasant surprise, there is almost no vibration when i m hitting from two of the four possible directions. There is some when i am hitting from the opposite two other directions but it is minimal.

Cost of the platform in dollars: about 70 dollars for all materials, pieces, anchors, screws, etc. Wooden board: the "garbage market", free (to be replaced some time soon with a better one). Speedbag and swivel, i had them in my possesion. Plus, about 130 dollars for a decent electrical cable-metal-wood, in-wall sensor....

ps: thanks to Mr. Speedbag for his insights and politeness, in discussing the design of this platform.

Comment

• andy302
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
                              Alright, here it is, it took me some time to plan it because it is a ceiling mount, i used M8 anchors and these tough pieces used for placing shelves on the wall. Each one of the pieces on the top is designed to hold about 50 kilos, the ones on the bottom about 25 kilos each.

They are connected with screws through another piece, designed to hang things on the wall from too. I had to drill some holes in the angled pieces to make a fit, but it proved to be more difficult than i imagined.. i don't know what kind of material they used to make them, but using the best drill for metal and not only my whole strength but my entire weight on top of that, it took me about 30 minutes to drill each hole in the angled pieces!

So the platform is adjustable, if you screw and unscrew the screws of course.

I used special washers (anti-vibration ones).

Here it is.

The point is, ceilings like my own weren't made to be drilled..

Once i had all measurements done, in my first hole i stumbled upon a metal rod, just 2cm deep! So i had to buy a sensor, to find out the ceiling has metal rods every 10 centimeteres (3 inches) vertically and every 20-30 cm horizontally, but not in completely straight lines! The building is about 50 years old, and other small metal pieces were around, inside the cement, making my job of detecting the metal rods more difficult..

Anyway, i had some difficulties and i wouldn't recommend such a mount on such a kind of ceiling (i m sure i m the only one who attempted it so far). There are better things to spend your time at! lol

But since i pulled it out, here it is, to my pleasant surprise, there is almost no vibration when i m hitting from two of the four possible directions. There is some when i am hitting from the opposite two other directions but it is minimal.

Cost of the platform in dollars: about 70 dollars for all materials, pieces, anchors, screws, etc. Wooden board: the "garbage market", free (to be replaced some time soon with a better one). Speedbag and swivel, i had them in my possesion. Plus, about 130 dollars for a decent electrical cable-metal-wood, in-wall sensor....

ps: thanks to Mr. Speedbag for his insights and politeness, in discussing the design of this platform.
                              ive just bought a golds gym boxing frame with back and speed bag the speed bag seems really slow i think theres to much vibration through the board any advise on how to cure it?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by andy302 View Post
                                ive just bought a golds gym boxing frame with back and speed bag the speed bag seems really slow i think theres to much vibration through the board any advise on how to cure it?
                                do you have a picture of this Gold's Gym unit? Is it a free standing floor frame or wall unit?

post a pic or some links if you can and I bet you'll get some suggestions.
                                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...