• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey_woo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2018

Built a 2nd worlds most beautiful speed bag platform/stand

I built this one for eBay just to see what happens, lots and lots and lots of hours to create one of these. I build it from the ground up starting with the stand using 2X3 steel make my cuts so it fits a standard 16” stud all mig welded and grinded to perfection. The platform itself is what takes the most time, starts off as a sheet of homedepot 3/4 thick MDF, I cut out 3 25” wide circles then glue them,stack them and screw them all together. After all that about a total of about 8 coats of primer, paint and the final epoxy coatings a total of 4 coats of epoxy resin. What you all think am I crazy?
    24 Likes, 4 Comments - Mike Chavez (@mikeywoo81) on Instagram: "The baddest speed bag platform on earth Mikey Woo edition"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mikey_woo; 05-22-2019, 09:12 PM.
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

WOW!!! That is really, really nice. That could be the platform for the Starship Enterprise!

..although, Spock would suggest that it would be most logical to install a ball hook
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Mikey_woo
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2018

Are the ball hook swivels that much better? never tried one before

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Mikey_woo View Post
        In the end it all comes down to the individuals preference of course, also what style of speed bagging he or she may prefer. Boxing style, or Bible style where the bag is hit (controlled) from all around the bag. No shame in a U-bolt style but if you're going to stay that course I would humbly suggest a Title Lighting Fast, or the Forza Hypersonic swivel. Both are far superior U's to the Everlast you have on that sleek looking platform.

That's my two cents on it. Cheers
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• morphiusrt
          • Mar 2019

Amazing looking setup you have there. I wish I had the time/knowledge to build something like this.

I will never use anything else just put it that way. Message rdshackleford to get an Arc swivel. At first you may not like it as much because it takes more accuracy but once you get used to it you will love it. My speedbagging skills have progressed so much faster once I switched to the ball hook swivel.
          Last edited by morphiusrt; 05-23-2019, 03:24 AM.

Comment

• Mikey_woo
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2018

Thanks for the recommendation going to order one see what it’s all about, I think a a Cleto bag would compliment it nicely ����

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Nice work. The custom name plate is a nice touch. How much does the drum weigh?
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Mikey_woo
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2018

Need to get a scale don’t have shit at the casa lol it’s heavy my guess would be 20-25lbs

Comment

• RockSteadyBoxer
                  • Nov 2018

Great looking platform. Looks like the hours of work paid off!

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks for the recommendation going to order one see what it’s all about, I think a a Cleto bag would compliment it nicely ����
                    A RED ARC swivel (ballhook) would look FAB U LOUS on that board. And hit great also. See it on the rdshackleford pick. (It's the RED one....)

Here's a little about the "U" bolt swivels, and why I don't recommend them for Bible Style Bagging.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Mikey_woo
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jun 2018

Thank you for that sir, I’m hoping the bolt pattern is the same or close to this everlast swivel ����

Comment

• Mikey_woo
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jun 2018

That red one definitely looks sexy on this setup

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thank you for that sir, I’m hoping the bolt pattern is the same or close to this everlast swivel ����
                          It should be. I had ask him to drill those holes out to 1/4 inch to match the old everlast swivels. Some of the new ball hooks had size #10 holes and that's too skinny for the 1/4 holes in my boards. Also, short #10 screws have trouble handling a larger 11x8 bag and power punching. I found the screw loosen under the force of the pendulum.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

Mikey_woo, are those three flat head socket cap screws holding the drum to the square tubes? And how do they anchor, I don't see thru holes on the top?

Alan, I think four 1" #10 screws are sufficient to hold any bag/power if the threads are tight enough and the wood is dense enough. But if there is the least bit of wiggle room in the threads, or the wood is too soft, it tends to get worse and worse. Just un-mounting and re-mounting swivels over and over tend to loosen the thread enough where they end up rattling out over time. My #10 screws into the epoxy resin on my new drum are super-tight and will probably last a long long time if I am careful when changing out the swivels. Like we said in another thread, if your 1/4" bolts get too loose, you can always drill it bigger and use metal thread inserts.
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Mikey_woo
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jun 2018

Welded in 1” long spacers and tapped them out to thread those 3” long bolts, u get the idea. Wanted it to be super clean and simple yet incredibly secure and rigid.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...