Ever have trouble choosing a bag for the day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutchman
    replied
    I have an early sixties 4205, and an eighties one and they were pretty much my go to bags up until bought the Reach 3 1/2. Don't get me wrong, the 4205 is a fantastic striking bag, and the fact that they are still showing up on eBay is proof that Everlast sold quite a few of them over the years, and a testament to the quality of the product. Reach was ultimately bought by it's chief competitor A.G. Spalding, and their principal line of baseball equipment was consolidated into theirs, although Reach branded baseballs were used by the American League up until the 1970's. The rest of the sporting goods line appears to have been terminated by the late 1950's. The bag I have is obviously from the late 1930's, maybe early 1940's as it was originally fitted with a bladder with a filler tube under the laces.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    Originally posted by paranday View Post
    Looks like I need two more bags. So the 4205 is not the pinnacle?
    If there is a more bigger, more bouncy, more fun speed bag than the 4205, I would doubt it and also be TOTALLY happy to be proven wrong.

-Rusty

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    I've gotten hooked on my A.J.Reach 3 1/2. It's friggin huge, really bouncy with the Title double end bladder it is now in it. Real responsive from any direction you hit it. If I want to really work at it, the old school Tuf-Wear S109 is the bag of choice. It's a pear shaped bag, not a long neck. It requires you to really hit it to keep it moving. In between those is the Everlast 4205, which if you are into large bags you should have at least one of these in your arsenal.
    Looks like I need two more bags. So the 4205 is not the pinnacle?

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied
    I've gotten hooked on my A.J.Reach 3 1/2. It's friggin huge, really bouncy with the Title double end bladder it is now in it. Real responsive from any direction you hit it. If I want to really work at it, the old school Tuf-Wear S109 is the bag of choice. It's a pear shaped bag, not a long neck. It requires you to really hit it to keep it moving. In between those is the Everlast 4205, which if you are into large bags you should have at least one of these in your arsenal.

Leave a comment:

• boxer011
    replied
    Im a fan of everlast but i recently purchased a cleto reyes xtra small bag and this bag is top notch. Love the collection thinking about doing the same. Hreat tip on ebay. Im going to check it out

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
    Love that Kangaroo bag on the right. Bet that thing really hops.
    It is big and bouncy. For the style, it is excellent. It is a long neck, big swing, bigger bag.

When I punch it, I think of old time vids of people like Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney, and Sugar Ray Robinson.

The experience is like punching a bag that punches back.

-Rusty

Leave a comment:

• jaja6009
    replied
    Love that Kangaroo bag on the right. Bet that thing really hops.

Leave a comment:

• BagBoy
    replied
    Those pictures give new life to the term "work station" awesome. Man, I started bagging way too late.

Nice stuff, Rusty.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    out of that selection, I'd go with the everlast.

All those everlasts were awesome in their day...

(where did it go....)
    Those bags were designed by people who actually used them. And sewn by ladies in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    Always bet on black.

-Rusty

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post

I'm thinking of starting with one of the red ones.

-Rusty
    out of that selection, I'd go with the everlast.

All those everlasts were awesome in their day...

(where did it go....)

Leave a comment:

• jaja6009
    replied
    I also lucked out on a 4205. It might as well be brand new. The leather on it is some of the nicest for the red Everlast bags and I love the shape of it, totally old school Everlast.

Tom I blame you for my addiction to older Everlast bags. I had no interest in them until you had to buy em, restore them and post em on here. Once I tried the 4200 I was in love. I love to think how the older bags were handmade with pride here in the USA when we used to make everything.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    Wish somebody would reproduce the Everlast 4205 exactly. Best big bag on planet earth.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    The big guy is the Everlast 4205 Leatherneck YMCA bag, 13x10. I got that one in near mint condition, NOS, and it is one of my favorites. The one on the upper right is the Everlast 4207 military bag, 14x9. Not as much fun as the 4205, but still very nice.

The other 5 are the very fun 4213 11x8. I didn't really want to get 5 of them, but they kept popping up on eBay for prices I just couldn't resist, like $15 plus shipping. I guess its good to have spares of your favs. Some of that leather is at least 30 years old.

-Rusty

Leave a comment:

• jaja6009
    replied
    LOL. Which bag is that on the left, highest one up, the giant one?

Leave a comment:

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...