Everlast 4200 vs 4200 Golomb vs the World!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

Everlast 4200 vs 4200 Golomb vs the World!

A bunch of members asked for a review and some video of the John Golomb 4200 9x6 bag. Sorry it took so long, but here is a comparison of the Everlast 4200, Everlast 4200/Elite, Everlast Elite 4241, Everlast 9x6 Kangaroo Leather, John Golomb 4200 Kangaroo and the Title Gyro 9x6.

Attached Files
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Thank you, very nicely done. As expected, nothing seems to top the original 4200. If you want a 6x9 that really makes you work, if you come across one is the original TufWear bags, they take a lot of work to keep moving. I have a VSB112 that I'll put on the hook once and while. It takes as much effort or more to keep moving than a lot of my large bags.

Comment

• jaja6009
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2016

Looking back I should of hit the bag like I did in the beginning but then give it the same power hit at the end and let it bounce as many times as it can before it dies.

That was one of the few times I will hit hard and fast on the 4200. It is older and still has the original bladder in it. It is my go light, finesse, collectors bag.

I think the Everlast 4200 Original is my overall favorite bag since I got it at a good price on eBay, it's a USA made one, it's fast and bouncy. But I still do like a heavier bag so the 4200 while being my favorite overall bag, is not my favorite to hit on, if that makes sense.

The 4200/Elite hybrid is a terrible bag. While currently Everlast only has a few offerings they are much better than this bag. This bag to me seems like this must of been a bad time to buy speed bags from Everlast. The leather is not soft, has a nasty pebbled look to it, has a going to banana shape and is not very bouncy at all. To have the 4200 part number is a disgrace to me. If I ordered that back in the day and thought I was going to get a nice FAT, lively, real 4200 and that rhino skinned banana bag came, I would of been pissed. The weird thing is it is about the same shape as the current Everlast 5x8 MX, but I really like the MX bag.

Comment

• baggeric
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2017

everlast 4200 vs john golomb 4200 vs thew world

Very nice job on the comparisons Jamie.

Comment

• jaja6009
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2016

From Left to Right: Golomb 4200, Newer 4200, Older 4200

Just got another 4200 today. And well, it's a made in the USA version, but it is definitely different than the older 4200 I have. For starters it hits heavier, even though it needs a new bladder in it because it won't hold above 2.5 to 3 PSI, I was hitting it and the older 4200 with the same low PSI, and the older bag was lighter and livelier. They are also not shaped the same. The older 4200 starts to get fatter sooner and looks to be fatter overall, and is also a much rounder less angular shape. The leather on the older 4200 also has a somewhat different grain/texture in some places. The red welting/beading on the newer bag is a lot thicker and the red trim around the lace holes on the newer 4200 goes down a lot further.

In the picture below it seems as if the newer 4200 is shaped more like the John Golomb Roo 4200 in that it is more angular (This may be because it is not fully inflated). The Golomb 4200 seems to be made more in the mold of the newer 4200 and not the older 4200. Even though the newer 4200 is in better shape, I still love the fat little guy old 4200 better.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jaja6009; 01-28-2018, 09:26 PM. Reason: Correction.

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

Can you compare both of your Everlast 4200s with your Title 9x6 gyro?
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• jaja6009
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
              Can you compare both of your Everlast 4200s with your Title 9x6 gyro?
              Here are all of the bags of interest and some others too.
              Left to Right
              Older 4200, Newer 4200, Golomb 4200, Elite 4200, Elite 6x9, Elite Roo 6x9, Title Gyro

The Title Gyro while fat is not quite the same shape as either 4200. Man that Elite 4200 bag is one sorry bag. It is kinda dead, it feels rough on the hands and overall sucks. At least the new Elite and Elite Roo while being banana feel good on the hands and have a nice bounce to them. I'm beginning to think the newer 4200 is right before they started to be made in China? But I still think it's shape my get less angular when fully filled to 3.5 to 4 PSI? I ordered a new bladder so we'll see.
              Attached Files

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

how would you describe the performance and fun level of the Title 9x6 versus the Everlast 4200's?
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• jaja6009
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                  how would you describe the performance and fun level of the Title 9x6 versus the Everlast 4200's?
                  Fun wise the old 4200 is a blast. It's just so responsive and fast. The Title has an Everlast bladder in it but cannot compare in bounce. But I can control the Title a lot better. I really want to see how the new Everlast hits when I change the bladder tommorow.

I'm like you, I wanted a 4200 when I was young, but the cheap platform and cheap bag together at that time were less money. So the 4200 will always be the hot girl from high school that never looked my way, but then in my 40s we're dating.

Comment

• Allentown
                    • Oct 2010

Which one is the fastest?

Comment

• jaja6009
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Allentown View Post
                      Which one is the fastest?
                      The old 4200. It is light, bouncy and really fast. Those who do not like hitting air may not like it at all though.

Comment

• jaja6009
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2016

I changed the bladder in the new 4200 and it did fill it out to the round 4200 shape, instead of the angular shape. It still hits heavier than the old 4200 though. But it is definitely a looker!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...