Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IronCannibal
    replied
    Just picked up a 4200 on eBay for $27 shipped. Looking forward to trying it out.

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
    Can you post a pic of one of your 4200's? I don't own the book of which you speak, and that thumbnail is awefully blurry.

-Rusty
    p.s. I said 4202 not 4204
    The only pics I can find of that bag are mostly action shots. This one was active until late 1990's when bladder gave out.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    Can you post a pic of one of your 4200's? I don't own the book of which you speak, and that thumbnail is awefully blurry.

-Rusty
    p.s. I said 4202 not 4204

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
    The 4200 or the 4202?
    The 4200 9x6 was my favorite for many years. It's on the cover of The Speed Bag Bible, picture shot in 1993.

I never really saw, or hit an 8x5 (4204) until after that, but I switched to Ringside bags at that time.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    Meeeeee tooo! love it. That is one Dee-licious bag!
    The 4200 or the 4202?

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Allentown View Post
    That bag was my favorite growing up.
    Meeeeee tooo! love it. That is one Dee-licious bag!

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied
    Sweet

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    ...The trick is to find a 4200 or 4202 that hasn't been hit into oblivion. They are out there,and sometimes you will find a deal...
    That didn't take very long.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    As you can see in the photo, this bag has the plastic piping. Pretty much the only negative I can say about it. I have several sets of mitts, but the thick ones are too bulky to control this speedy bag and the thin ones let me feel the piping. I may have to try a pair of those gel speed wraps. I have trad cotton wraps, but its such a process to get in and out of them.

-Rusty

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied
    That's about the era when Everlast was at it's peak. Personally I was impressed with their line in the early 1980's. The pro and institutional line of bags were spot on, just stay away from the bags used in striking bag kits (4215, 4216 and the infamous "plasticon" bag). The trick is to find a 4200 or 4202 that hasn't been hit into oblivion. They are out there,and sometimes you will find a deal. The later versions had the leather piping replaced with plastic, I would stay away from these as it's darn near impossible to beat the piping down flat on these. Really beats up your knuckles unless you use wraps or bag mitts.

Leave a comment:

• Allentown
    replied
    Me too.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    I'm interested to know if there are different or better versions of this bag from the mid-70s to mid-80s.

Leave a comment:

• Allentown
    replied
    That bag was my favorite growing up.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    started a topic Rusty's (first) Everlast 4200

Rusty's (first) Everlast 4200

I'm looking for some honest opinions, but first some background...

When I started hitting speed bag in the late '70s I was a kid and had a kid's junky platform. Punched the hell out of it, broke the platform, and taped and jury rigged the platform until I had enough allowance money to upgrade the bag. All I could afford was a maroon 4214 with rhino skin that may as well have been 80 grit sandpaper. I wore out several pair of period speed bag gloves on that medium (to me) sized bag. The local sporting good store, Herman's I believe it was called, was one of the shops I frequented in my mallrats days before I had a paying job and a way to get to the mall other than my huffy bike.

But every time I went to the sporting goods store, I went over to that black and red Everlast 4200 with the gyro logo and gave it a try. Holy crap, it was fast! But I knew if I had the bag at home I could learn it and get that fast. I just didn't have the cash. I remember every time I went in and hit the display model bag, the store employees gave me a look like I was in a guitar store and playing stairway on the fender I wasn't going to buy anyway.

So I graduated, graduated again, graduated yet again, got a job, had a career, and fast forward thirtysome years later and I get into speed bag again.

This is the first 4200 of that era I could find. It may not be the last, who knows. I would sell it and trade up to a nicer one if I can find one.

So my question are, is this a decent early 80's version of the 4200? Are there other versions of the late 70's/early 80's 4200 I should look for, and what are the differences?

-Rusty
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...