Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaza
    replied
    WOW... that is going to be beautiful...overkill, but beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied
    NIce work, that'll give you a good solid rebound, that's for sure

Leave a comment:

• StevieMac
    replied
    Thanks. Each board was screwed to the one below it one at a time.

I used some regular wood glue (Lepage's I think) and some PL400 construction adhesive. I was planning on just using the wood glue but found out I didn't have as much on hand as I thought and it was snowing here so I didn't feel like venturing out to the store.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    Very nice! Do the screws go all the way down into the bag side board? And what kind of glue did you use?

-Rusty

Leave a comment:

• StevieMac
    replied
    Here's the jig we made out of some 16 gauge sheet metal:

Lots of wooden circles....

Stacked up:

Glued and screwed. The top of the drum has the screws showing, there are no visible screws on the bag side.

I used 7 of the circles which made the drum just under 5" thick. I've probably done 75% of the sanding now but don't have an updated pic (yet).

That's probably as far as I'm getting this week.

Leave a comment:

• StevieMac
    replied
    Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
    Sounds like an awesome project. Do you know the weight of the original iBox drum?
    No but I'll try to remember to do a weight comparison when I get ready to mount the new drum.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    Sounds like an awesome project. Do you know the weight of the original iBox drum?

Leave a comment:

• StevieMac
    started a topic Building a new drum

Building a new drum

I currently have a Balazs iBox with the 1-1/4" thick manufactured wood drum and it works well, particularly with 50lbs of sand on top of the drum to reduce the vibration. But it’s winter and I was feeling up for a fun little project.

How thick a platform needs to be is certainly debatable but I’ve always liked the look of the really thick, heavy wood platforms:

There are two other great examples and build details in this thread: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4606

Originally I was just going to buy a ¼ sheet of ¾” plywood, cut two circles out and glue and screw them to my existing drum but when I checked the price of a ¼ sheet of regular plywood and saw full sheets of 5/8” Baltic birch for not a lot more money I bought a full sheet of the birch. To make transport easier I had the store cut the sheet into eight 2’ x 2’ squares. I never use anything larger than a small size bag so that's plenty big enough for my needs.

Last weekend a buddy and I made up a jig for his router and cut all the squares into circles and routed a rounded edge for the top and bottom boards. I’ll use 6 or maybe even 7 layers for my Balazs setup in the garage and save a piece or two to add to an old homemade platform I’m going to mount in my basement eventually.

Stay tuned; pictures to follow.....
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...