X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speedy G
    • Oct 2014

first vid from speedy-g (misnomer)

in this video I expose my flawed self and beg for your help to achieve speed bag greatness - or at least to diminish the errors of my ways. I've been on the Deville for 4 months now, and am progressing at a snails pace. Thanks!
    Last edited by speedy G; 02-20-2015, 06:59 AM. Reason: typos
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Looking pretty good to me! I want to know what you're listening to in those earbuds?
    I'm sure Alan will chime in for you shortly, but I'd like to see you slow up a bit and control the bag. The speed will come naturally.

All in all though you're rocking that bag!

Oh... and is that GoPro footage? ...and where's the angle with the AOTB poster in the shot?
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedy G View Post
      in this video I expose my flawed self and beg for you help to achieve speed bag greatness - or at least to diminish the errors of my ways. I've been on the Deville for 4 months now, and am progressing at a snails pace. Thanks!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXiv...ature=youtu.be
      I wouldn't say that's a snails pace, you are doing some nice combinations with single and double fist pass through linking, but the swivel is telling on you a bit. I hear it "knocking" (being driven a bit upwards) a lot from 1:20 - 1:40, particular during your Front Double Punch (FDP) and Reverse Double Punch (RDP) techniques. (FDP ' ' RDP). There are times when you appear to be "glazing" your fist(s) downward on the bag, making the slip on the leather, which creates a weak rebound. That can happen for two reasons, one (1) is if your swinging in a more "downward arc" rather than directly into the bag, which I kind of see occasionally, and the other reason this can happen (2) is if you catch the bag a bit too early in the rebound arc, which makes the fist contact a bit too low on the bag (under the belly) and tends to make a weak rebound, sending the bag upward. At that point, the second fist of the FDP will probably make a weak contact also, or miss the bag entirely.

There is something else that is noticeable for me is that you tend to miss hit a bit on your Front Double Punch for one reason, and the Reverse Double Punch at times for another, again in the 1:20 - 1:40 sequence. Notice at 1:20, you come out of that split fist (nice) combo to a R-L FDP. Your right fist leads (in FSP position) and the left misses the bag, and then leads the RDP behind. To me the pattern of your miss hits on FDP "sometimes" could be due to the spacing of your fists which tends to make the second fist miss, either because it was too close to the lead fist in the motion, or because it is going a bit faster (more power) than the lead fist, so it blasts past the bag in the technique, either missing it entirely or making contact a bit too early in that rebound, making a miss hit and raising the swivel up. On the RDP, I think some of the issue is the fists dropping "downward" behind the bag, arcing upward for contact and hitting a bit under the belly driving it upward.

I'm not sure exactly why for nothing "drastic" sticks out. Position is usually good. Arms and elbows up. And sometimes the contacts are dead on, and sometimes there is that tell tale knocking of swivel ball upward on the board. I do see that occasionally you make contact a bit late in the rebound also, which almost always causes a low hit under the belly. That is usually from inconsistent swing speed, particularly when it happens regularly during a punching session with half the contacts good and half kind of off. To be honest watching I'm not sure why. Could be the bag is a bit flat, but it doesn't really lose shape on contact, and it does not sound over inflated. I hit that bag a lot so I'm pretty used to it. That leads me to believe that there are "slight" issues of swing motion (direction), swing speed (lead and second fist not together) and second fist a bit too close at times in the double punch. Many beginning baggers go through it, and of course practice is the answer. 95% of what your doing is great, on target, it's that 5% that I'm talking about here.

and it could also be the swivel. Not indicating the "deville". Sometime I blame "the" swivel. any swivel. They mess with ya at times.

Great progress so far. Keep punching.

Last edited by Speedbag; 02-20-2015, 06:42 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Man... that was quick!
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• drag-on389
          • May 2014

Looks pretty good to me also. Especially like those fast elbows you throw in there. Now I am not trying to put down the swivel, but it has a lot of slop between the drum and the ball. So it will tell on you pretty quick. You can check this by pushing the ball up against the board. You can do what one of the members posted on the forum. You can put a washer and this eliminates most of the slop. The Everlast plastic swivel if you put a metal ball hook on it and a washer works pretty good. Now on the swivel you are bagging on you will need different size washers to accomplish this. This is just an observation, nothing else.
          Last edited by drag-on389; 02-20-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Del-Striking
            • Aug 2014

I agree that's pretty damn good progress Speedy G. The only thing I can see and it just might be the angle of the camera is that the bag may be hanging a little low in reference to your chin/mouth. I know this is usually a preference thing but I think as an intermediate the belly of the bag needs to be parallel to the area between your chin and mouth. Nice work.

Comment

• speedy G
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Zaza View Post

Looking pretty good to me! I want to know what you're listening to in those earbuds?
              I'm sure Alan will chime in for you shortly, but I'd like to see you slow up a bit and control the bag. The speed will come naturally.

All in all though you're rocking that bag!

Oh... and is that GoPro footage? ...and where's the angle with the AOTB poster in the shot?
              Hey Za - thanks - no doubt something hard and heavy in my ears. I like baggin to linkin park - they have a good bag beat. I will slow down (to speed up) as you suggest. good eye on the go pro - and the AOTB poster is hanging behind the camera now - but you're right - it needs to be moved back in the camera frame! - mike

Comment

• speedy G
                • Oct 2014

[QUOTE=Speedbag;47987]I wouldn't say that's a snails pace, you are doing some nice combinations with single and double fist pass through linking, but the swivel is telling on you a bit. I hear it "knocking" (being driven a bit upwards) a lot from 1:20 - 1:40, particular during your Front Double Punch (FDP) and Reverse Double Punch (RDP) techniques. (FDP ' ' RDP). There are times when you appear to be "glazing" your fist(s) downward on the bag, making the slip on the leather, which creates a weak rebound. That can happen for two reasons, one (1) is if your swinging in a more "downward arc" rather than directly into the bag, which I kind of see occasionally, and the other reason this can happen (2) is if you catch the bag a bit too early in the rebound arc, which makes the fist contact a bit too low on the bag (under the belly) and tends to make a weak rebound, sending the bag upward. At that point, the second fist of the FDP will probably make a weak contact also, or miss the bag entirely.

There is something else that is noticeable for me is that you tend to miss hit a bit on your Front Double Punch for one reason, and the Reverse Double Punch at times for another, again in the 1:20 - 1:40 sequence. Notice at 1:20, you come out of that split fist (nice) combo to a R-L FDP. Your right fist leads (in FSP position) and the left misses the bag, and then leads the RDP behind. To me the pattern of your miss hits on FDP "sometimes" could be due to the spacing of your fists which tends to make the second fist miss, either because it was too close to the lead fist in the motion, or because it is going a bit faster (more power) than the lead fist, so it blasts past the bag in the technique, either missing it entirely or making contact a bit too early in that rebound, making a miss hit and raising the swivel up. On the RDP, I think some of the issue is the fists dropping "downward" behind the bag, arcing upward for contact and hitting a bit under the belly driving it upward.

I'm not sure exactly why for nothing "drastic" sticks out. Position is usually good. Arms and elbows up. And sometimes the contacts are dead on, and sometimes there is that tell tale knocking of swivel ball upward on the board. I do see that occasionally you make contact a bit late in the rebound also, which almost always causes a low hit under the belly. That is usually from inconsistent swing speed, particularly when it happens regularly during a punching session with half the contacts good and half kind of off. To be honest watching I'm not sure why. Could be the bag is a bit flat, but it doesn't really lose shape on contact, and it does not sound over inflated. I hit that bag a lot so I'm pretty used to it. That leads me to believe that there are "slight" issues of swing motion (direction), swing speed (lead and second fist not together) and second fist a bit too close at times in the double punch. Many beginning baggers go through it, and of course practice is the answer. 95% of what your doing is great, on target, it's that 5% that I'm talking about here.

and it could also be the swivel. Not indicating the "deville". Sometime I blame "the" swivel. any swivel. They mess with ya at times.

Thanks so much for the detailed answer Alan! I suspected (and was hoping) you'd assist with my FDP-RDP problems and you're right that the swivel "narcs me out" for mistakes - I hear it all the time - but can't myself quite understand what I'm doing wrong. I'll work on the fist spacing and consistency of speed and see if that helps solve the error(s). Thanks also for pointing out that the second fist is probably too "close" - as I wouldn't really know which direction to compensate without endless trial and error. That will help me zero in. I'll keep up the fight - and will post again when progress is made - or more help is direly needed - or both. If anything else comes to mind - please shout it out! Thanks again! - mike

Comment

• speedy G
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Del-Striking View Post
                  I agree that's pretty damn good progress Speedy G. The only thing I can see and it just might be the angle of the camera is that the bag may be hanging a little low in reference to your chin/mouth. I know this is usually a preference thing but I think as an intermediate the belly of the bag needs to be parallel to the area between your chin and mouth. Nice work.
                  Thanks for the feedback Del - I'll more closely scrutinize the bag height and adjust accordingly - I'm not one for preference at this stage - and even if I have them - I want to set everything up "properly" so all the technicalities are in place - and the only real errors are my human ones. best - mike

Comment

• speedy G
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                    Looks really good to me
                    Thanks Ralph! For some reason I thought you were going to rip me new one!

Comment

• speedy G
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by drag-on389 View Post
                      Looks pretty good to me also. Especially like those fast elbows you throw in there. Now I am not trying to put down the swivel, but it has a lot of slop between the drum and the ball. So it will tell on you pretty quick. You can check this by pushing the ball up against the board. You can do what one of the members posted on the forum. You can put a washer and this eliminates most of the slop. The Everlast plastic swivel if you put a metal ball hook on it and a washer works pretty good. Now on the swivel you are bagging on you will need different size washers to accomplish this. This is just an observation, nothing else.
                      Thanks for the compliments drag-on and for the swivel info too - I'll look into that and research the washer idea and maybe switch it up with the everlast - but I've heard so many great things about the Deville, I hate to give up on it. It does have some wear on the backside that I hope isn't affecting the swing - but I wonder. In any case, I appreciate the feedback and will keep on truckin' - mike

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        I wouldn't say that's a snails pace, you are doing some nice combinations with single and double fist pass through linking, but the swivel is telling on you a bit. I hear it "knocking" (being driven a bit upwards) a lot from 1:20 - 1:40, particular during your Front Double Punch (FDP) and Reverse Double Punch (RDP) techniques. (FDP ' ' RDP). There are times when you appear to be "glazing" your fist(s) downward on the bag, making the slip on the leather, which creates a weak rebound. That can happen for two reasons, one (1) is if your swinging in a more "downward arc" rather than directly into the bag, which I kind of see occasionally, and the other reason this can happen (2) is if you catch the bag a bit too early in the rebound arc, which makes the fist contact a bit too low on the bag (under the belly) and tends to make a weak rebound, sending the bag upward. At that point, the second fist of the FDP will probably make a weak contact also, or miss the bag entirely.

Thanks so much for the detailed answer Alan! I suspected (and was hoping) you'd assist with my FDP-RDP problems and you're right that the swivel "narcs me out" for mistakes - I hear it all the time - but can't myself quite understand what I'm doing wrong. I'll work on the fist spacing and consistency of speed and see if that helps solve the error(s). Thanks also for pointing out that the second fist is probably too "close" - as I wouldn't really know which direction to compensate without endless trial and error. That will help me zero in. I'll keep up the fight - and will post again when progress is made - or more help is direly needed - or both. If anything else comes to mind - please shout it out! Thanks again! - mike
                        Glad you took that to be instructive, I wasn't trying to "diss" your bagging, it's all good but something is a-miss in the FDP-RDP combo, and like you, I'm not exactly sure what is causing it. Usually I can "see" what is causing the slight miss hits, but nothing really stands out. I just don't see any identifiable swing issue. Usually with the second fist miss-hits you can see a noticeable "half moon" downward movement and the fist goes down and under the bag, ...but I don't see that. Your fist movements are pretty much straight into the belly. Second, many beginners will add power to that second fist and you can hear a noticeably louder rebound and bag speed increases, making the next fist contact "miss" late since the bag went faster and went to far into the next rebound. And then you can see the bag is pointing toward the fist when contact is made late.... but - I don't see that as a consistent cause. Your fist contact ON the bag is pretty clean on the belly most of the time, and I don't see a noticeable ducking of hand(s) under the bag in linking......SO, what is left is the distance between the fists. IF you add just a tich of power/force to that second fist movement it will slide it just a smidge closer to the lead fist than it should be, and that will cause it to contact the bag weakly too early in the next rebound, very close to the board. I can't really say that is evident either. occasionally yes (that second fist did miss a time or two). I did suspect the swivel may have something to do with it only because I've used that deville a lot, and although the action is very smooth and dead on accurate, it does tend to knock around in the housing and hit the board with that "knocking" that I don't hear so much with other ballhooks. BUT, I can't BLAME the swivel because a fair amount of the knocking in this video is also accompanied by a noticeable need to adjust the next punch indicating a slight miss hit being correct by the next.

I do suspect the bag just a bit. I have used that 9x6 fighting sports a lot, I have several of them. I love the shape and pattern of the panels, however it tends to hit a bit Slow compared to other 9x6 bags I have and I find myself tending to "push" it with more force to go faster, meaning I notice I'm trying to swing a bit harder to get the speed, and trying to swing hard will usually mess with the timing and distance between parts of a multi-part technique. Forcing a bags speed by swinging hard is not the best way to maintain timing. I do notice you hitting hard occasionally also.

All that said, you're making remarkable progress. Whatever "it" is will probably work itself out shortly, or..... change bags and see what happens. Sometimes a weird control issue just vanishes with another bag style or shape. no joke. Put a leone on the hook and see what happens. I'm convinced that bag has flubber in it.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedy G
                          • Oct 2014

Thanks for the additional detail, Alan! I took every word as instructive and none as a "diss." I'm honored to get your feedback - and that of others on this forum. I'll take your instruction to heart and modify my form accordingly - I'll also switch up the bag as you said. Four months ago, after watching AOTB (I don't even know how I came across it) I made a commitment to myself to TRY hard to learn to do a smidgen of the amazing things you guys did in the video. I caught the fever just watching it and I'm pretty passionate about it (just ask my wife). ! I never imagined that I could actually progress - let alone be in contact with the greatest baggers in the world - and get their feedback and critique on my own efforts and progress. Three things I grossly underestimated going into it - 1) the bag/practice time necessary to 'really" make progress (many, many, many hours thus far), 2) The progress that can actually be made with determination, and 3) The kindness, support and insight provided by you baggers here at the SBF and beyond. I couldn't have gotten this far - and I can't wait to keep on going, going, going! Thanks again to you and the community!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks for the additional detail, Alan! I took every word as instructive and none as a "diss." I'm honored to get your feedback - and that of others on this forum. I'll take your instruction to heart and modify my form accordingly - I'll also switch up the bag as you said. Four months ago, after watching AOTB (I don't even know how I came across it) I made a commitment to myself to TRY hard to learn to do a smidgen of the amazing things you guys did in the video. I caught the fever just watching it and I'm pretty passionate about it (just ask my wife). ! I never imagined that I could actually progress - let alone be in contact with the greatest baggers in the world - and get their feedback and critique on my own efforts and progress. Three things I grossly underestimated going into it - 1) the bag/practice time necessary to 'really" make progress (many, many, many hours thus far), 2) The progress that can actually be made with determination, and 3) The kindness, support and insight provided by you baggers here at the SBF and beyond. I couldn't have gotten this far - and I can't wait to keep on going, going, going! Thanks again to you and the community!
                            Funny how that "practice time" things work. Sometimes a "new move" will take hours to get and feel comfortable with, and then tomorrow, ...it's gone, like your body doesn't remember. And conversely, You may learn something (technique or combination) quickly. For me, I find that I would struggle with something (reverse direction front rolls,...just doesn't feel right ) and then it WILL click and it's like you completely understand it (AND can do it.) Like your fist spacing on double punches. You may hunt for that "sync zone" where it is right and working great. It may take hours or days of working, and then suddenly, "you just know". You just feel it, and no matter what bag, inflation, swivel or other factor, you will adjust and do it without thought. Because "you just know" ...and you cannot "make" that happen. Sure, hours of practice help but then a light comes on and in that instant. You have it.

Punch it. they will come.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...