• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake
    • Mar 2011

Two bags

Welcome to my sanctuary.

I find having these two bags side by side has made my bag time way more fun.

I have both bags on Powermill Evil Swivels. I also have a vertical bag on one of my Deville A51's. The Deville Swivels are great, and I understand why they are popular. However in my opinion a freshly greased all metal ball hook is smoother.

Both these Powermills in the video have a 1/4" strip of duct tape wrapped around the eyebolt shanks. All I hear is the bags hitting the boards. The duct tape has to be touched up every couple hours, and I wipe down and re-grease the swivel more often than that. It's just part of my routine now.

I have about 60 lbs of old plastic weights sitting on top of a bunched up cloth tarp, on top of the Title Platform. It seems pretty solid. I have a FS 5x8on this set up.

My other board with the Lazer XS, has a new Lowes 24" pine table top attached to the old homemade set up I put together with scrap wood around the garage, about ten years ago. There is a 40lb bag of Mortar Thinset on top of it. It's a good solid set up.

Behind my heavy bag is a homemade striking dummy I built about ten years ago. I love this guy. His head is a bunch of plastic shopping bags all taped up, with some pieces of couch cushion to form facial details. He's built from different size metal pipes, hose clamps, roofing ridge vent, old clothes, wood, and lots of duct tape. All set in a cinder block base. All stuff I found around the garage.

Jake
  • bbally
    • Jan 2013

Looks like a great place to relieve stress!
    sgt
    USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

Comment

• AtTheCross
      • Dec 2012

how bout some video with the vertical bag nice elbow work btw
      1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
      Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
      DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
      Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
      Retired Bags:
      Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by AtTheCross View Post
        how bout some video with the vertical bag nice elbow work btw

Comment

• Jake
          • Mar 2011

Now that I think of it, I should have said three bags.
          That vertical board I slapped up needs some work. It's only attached to one stud. The bag makes a lot of noise when it hits the wall. I have plans to beef it up, and leave a space between the drum and the wall.

I have not practiced the vertical bag much. It might turn out to be a lot of fun. Especially learning to use knees. However it doesn't feel right. Hitting the speed bag has always been about keeping hands up for me. Feeling those outer deltoids get a good workout. I'm not sure I will spend a lot of time on the vertical bag.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Once I dreamed that I was caught and killed in a buffalo stampede during a visit to yellowstone. After a long time in the "holding pen" I went to heaven, and best I remember it looked a lot like the space in this video. And, there was also an awesome bagger there to keep me company.....

Hmmmm.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jake
              • Mar 2011

I'm very happy to hear my speed bag brothers appreciate my special corner in the garage! When I step up on the platform, all my cares float away.

An old friend stopped by and was disturbed by what he saw. He thought I had some deep anger problem. It's not like that at all.

I will post more about my striking dummy later. This guy helped me develop a left hook punch, and a lot of other strikes.

I searched the internet years ago for striking dummies, and came accross what I think was "Fred Head". The website explained how to triple up some plastic shopping bags, and pack that bag full of other bags. Compress and wrap in duct tape. That's where it started.
              Last edited by Jake; 01-24-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Jake
                • Mar 2011

About those bags Ventanakaz, I'm pretty sure the Lazer belly hangs at the same level of the FS. The FS is bigger around. The Lazer feels much heavier.

After you get done hitting on the Lazer for awhile, and jump right on the FS, you feel like superman. The FS feels light as a feather. Then when you go back to the Lazer it feels super fast and solid. I love both bags.

I give my swivels the 'spin test'. I spin the bag and count fast. If I get to 10 or 11, I know it's as smooth as it gets. If I only get to 3 or 4, it's time to simply wipe the ball down, and give it a shot of White Lithium Grease.

Comment

• Jake
                  • Mar 2011

These Links are where I learned how to build my striking dummy. Having a striking dummy is great!

I keep my guy set at 6'0" tall and I'm only 5'5". Sometimes I use a platform, but I like to practice fighting bigger guys. Getting inside, coming up under the chin, over the top with a haymaker, throat punches, and inward elbows, just to name a few of my favorite strikes.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...