X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metaldad
    replied
    Originally posted by Biff View Post
    Hey Brian - The camera is a Canon ZR800. It is only about $250.00 but it has lots of features for the price. I borrow it from work when I want to video.

The video is recorded on tape which I transfer to my computer via a firewire connection and a video input card I nstalled. I know you use a Mac. (Macs come standard with a video-in port, at least they used to). I use no fancy editing software, just Windows Movie Maker to import the video and perform basic editing. Re-save the final product to my computer and then upload to YouTube.

I'm guessing I don't lose any clarity 'cause it's filmed in HD and uploaded to YT in HD.

And Alan, I have two overhead fluorescent "shop lights" to provide more than enough light.

When I get home I'll post a picture of the setup in my garage. That should provide a laugh for everyone. The board is wedged between a refrigerator and a weight machine, and I have to battle the two clotheslines that are strung nearby.

EDIT: Here's the pic....The ladder is there so that I can film. I place the camera on one of the steps of the ladder and film away.
    Great looking space Biff! How big IS your garage?
    Originally posted by sbkidd73 View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I use this sheet music stand to hold the SBB and various combo notes that I keep. Simply $20 @ Toys R Us. One of my best investments. When I first started bagging, I wondered how in the heck would I be able to practice and read Alan's "sheet music" @ the same time. That thought process led me to thinking back to my various musical instrument days and this is what I came up with. Hope this helps!! Nice vids, guys!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2341200
    Thanks for sharing sbkidd! That would be fitting since the object for most of us is to learn punch drumming!!That reminds me. At Speed B.A.G. 2010, will there be an attempt at a "bag" circle, or even a "bag"line? Definitely will be awesome to have abunch of baggers hitting insync. HMMMMMM...."The Fabuluos Precision SPEEDBAG Orchestra

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Hey Brian - The camera is a Canon ZR800. It is only about $250.00 but it has lots of features for the price. I borrow it from work when I want to video.

The video is recorded on tape which I transfer to my computer via a firewire connection and a video input card I nstalled. I know you use a Mac. (Macs come standard with a video-in port, at least they used to). I use no fancy editing software, just Windows Movie Maker to import the video and perform basic editing. Re-save the final product to my computer and then upload to YouTube.

I'm guessing I don't lose any clarity 'cause it's filmed in HD and uploaded to YT in HD.

And Alan, I have two overhead fluorescent "shop lights" to provide more than enough light.

When I get home I'll post a picture of the setup in my garage. That should provide a laugh for everyone. The board is wedged between a refrigerator and a weight machine, and I have to battle the two clotheslines that are strung nearby.

EDIT: Here's the pic....The ladder is there so that I can film. I place the camera on one of the steps of the ladder and film away.
    Thats' a cozy baggin corner, AND a pretty slick Chest/Flies Machine. The Fridge real close for an after workout chili makes it pretty grand.

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by sbkidd73 View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I use this sheet music stand to hold the SBB and various combo notes that I keep. Simply $20 @ Toys R Us. One of my best investments. When I first started bagging, I wondered how in the heck would I be able to practice and read Alan's "sheet music" @ the same time. That thought process led me to thinking back to my various musical instrument days and this is what I came up with. Hope this helps!! Nice vids, guys!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2341200

Now that's a cool idea. I never thought of that. Normally people copy the page they want and tape the copy on the wall.

Leave a comment:

• RochesterDave
    replied
    Hi Everyone!

Toys”R”Us is the leading kids store for all toys, video games, dolls, action figures, learning games, building blocks and more. C'mon, Let's Play!

Leave a comment:

• Biff
    replied
    Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    Good practice vid Biff.....
    Great clarty in vid too.... What are you filming with? How do you retain the clarity after exporting and sizing down?

Originally posted by speedbag
    Really clear and nice angle. I suspect your area is WELL lighted, which really makes a difference in a video quality. (Camera's LOVE light).

Attached Files
    Last edited by Biff; 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM. Reason: Inserted attachment

Leave a comment:

• metaldad
    replied
    Looking good, MD, great progress. Not to mess up your practicing, but once you feel comfortable with with the O-TES, linking to a RSP, try linking with the OTHER fist, then pass through both fists and follow up with a RDP.

I'm no AK, but this will give you a visual of what I'm talking about. Here's to continued improvement, MD Thanks for the demo Biff!! Not messing me up at all!! I like the way you have your platform mounted. Does having the 2x4's behind it like that add to the stability?

Great clarty in vid too.... What are you filming with? How do you retain the clarity after exporting and sizing down?
    Yeah that is real good qyuality video

Originally posted by goju View Post
    Yet another good vid MD.. how long have you been baggin ? And thank you biff for breaking down the elbow strikes.. i can now see how you guys do it ..top stuff fellas
    Thanks goju. I've been hitting the bag for a about two years( about as long as i have been a member of the forum. I recently started learning the new techniques(RSP, O-TES, linking) and have been working them the last few months and now that I finally have a camcorder, I have major motivation to get out and hit more.

Originally posted by deano View Post
    hey Metal, going like a house on fire big improvements every vid,this is only
    a suggestion as im no AK either, but it might be worth a try when trying to link elbows and fists, instead of punching away from your face at a 45 angle and turning the movement into a triangle shape, punch from side to side using
    combos and turn it into a ark like motion ,moving the top half a little more to
    get the elbows set.in your vid you are very close to punching sideways a couple of times.anyhow see what ya recon. keep punching . deano
    Thanks Deano! I'm not confident in that ability yet but hey accidents happen lol!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    BUSTED!! That IS why I developed a system of technique names, abbreviated techniques, and spent hundreds of hours writing practice combinations in a specific order - - So those precious few who were serious COULD take it with them, under the board, and have it there AT THEIR BAG to follow and reference. YES - IT IS WHY I DID THAT. Because you simply cannot remember all that you see and hear on a video 20 minutes ago and run out to the board and try to do. I wanted to give other baggers the sheet music if they would but learn to read it. And then, the instrument comes to life... the same as any other musical instrument.

and for the record, Yes I still write stuff down all the time. My bag room floor is covered with sheets of paper filled with combination short hand. I keep a pad by the board. I had to re-learn how to write some combo's after watching Skunk and Dee throw out some stuff I have never seen before. (fortunately, my system adapts pretty easily to it..). It is the only way I can remember or convey what the fists and elbows do, the order they hit and where they come from. I know video and "air punching" along is helpful, but nothing beats old fashion sheet music for portability.

oh, MD, I ain't yelling at ya, I'm actually giving you an "a-men". Your words justify my belief that many would take it to the garage.

You're doing a nice O-TES with a "lead fist pass through" to RSP. That is, the same fist as the outward elbow. Le-Lf. But you appear to do it better with you left arm leading than your right. You keep your left elbow and fist up better as your right fist hits the bag, and the left goes behind. It looks nice, for your left fist keeps extending through the bag as your right fist extends in the FSP. That's correct, they should move together because they are "going in the same direction" for that moment. Only at the moment that your Right FSP fist leaves the bag (after contact), does the Left fist start back for the RSP. they flow togher. see :23, :28 :33-really nice. Freeze it at :33 ( or :23 or :28) and look at the perfect angle of your forearm as the elbow hits. notice your elbow-to-fist angle is almost straight back to a point under your right ear. That is the best set up to hit "into" the bag belly.

When you lead with your right elbow, you appear to hit "E-f" and then stop your right fist as your left fist hits. then your right fists ducks down and under for the RSP. Look at your right leading O-TES :21, :26 You can hear the RSP hit "up" on the bottom of the bag and sometimes chank the swivel. You are also raising the Right Elbow up a bit higher than necessary to do the technique, swing it down on the bag, slipping on it a few times. that is because your hitting angle is down and not "into" the bag belly. Freeze it at :36, as your left fist completes the O-TES and look at your right fist, way down at your naval. Your elbow angle took it down there, and now you have to bring it all the way back up again at least 5 or 6 wasted inches to the reverse position behind that bag and listen to the late hit under the belly: (:35 - :36sec R_O-TES ' ' RSP). That is a result of dropping your lead fist after the elbow. If you keep the elbow UP and move the fist straight through, that won't happen. Do it like :45 - 47 secs and you'll smoke it every time. Perfect arm position and fist movements.

You're doing great! I think your arm positions will clean up as your ears adjust your movements to find the sweet spot and sound. Remember, anytime you have a technique with both fists, (O-TES, D-TES, FDP etc.) you have three linking options: 1. lead fist, 2: second fist 3. both fists. No matter how many elbows are involved, or from what direction they come, the fists (lead, second, both) will link just like from a FDP, and that's why learning to link from the Three core double punches (FDP, RDP and SDP) is so important to ultimate fist control and more advanced combinations. They are the heart of the complex beat.

Keep 'em coming. Let's see a O-TES, lead fist: O-TES, second fist, O-TES, Both fists - continuously. It's all about fist control,and you CAN do it!!

[/QUOTE]Yes I'm busted lol! I'll be taking my "Tablature" (I can't read sheet music) to the garage. Thanks Alan!

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied

Yes, Biff. Very excellent hitting and video. Really clear and nice angle. I suspect your area is WELL lighted, which really makes a difference in a video quality. (Camera's LOVE light).

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied
    elbows

hey Metal, going like a house on fire big improvements every vid,this is only
    a suggestion as im no AK either, but it might be worth a try when trying to link elbows and fists, instead of punching away from your face at a 45 angle and turning the movement into a triangle shape, punch from side to side using
    combos and turn it into a ark like motion ,moving the top half a little more to
    get the elbows set.in your vid you are very close to punching sideways a couple of times.anyhow see what ya recon. keep punching . deano

Leave a comment:

• goju
    replied
    Yet another good vid MD.. how long have you been baggin ? And thank you biff for breaking down the elbow strikes.. i can now see how you guys do it ..top stuff fellas

Leave a comment:

• spinsmashpop
    replied
    Looking good, MD, great progress. Not to mess up your practicing, but once you feel comfortable with with the O-TES, linking to a RSP, try linking with the OTHER fist, then pass through both fists and follow up with a RDP.

I'm no AK, but this will give you a visual of what I'm talking about. Here's to continued improvement, MD

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by metaldad View Post
    I need to start taking the SBB to the garage with me or start writing all the exercises down and post them on my wall..... - I tried to remember the sequences you had written down Alan.
    BUSTED!! That IS why I developed a system of technique names, abbreviated techniques, and spent hundreds of hours writing practice combinations in a specific order - - So those precious few who were serious COULD take it with them, under the board, and have it there AT THEIR BAG to follow and reference. YES - IT IS WHY I DID THAT. Because you simply cannot remember all that you see and hear on a video 20 minutes ago and run out to the board and try to do. I wanted to give other baggers the sheet music if they would but learn to read it. And then, the instrument comes to life... the same as any other musical instrument.

and for the record, Yes I still write stuff down all the time. My bag room floor is covered with sheets of paper filled with combination short hand. I keep a pad by the board. I had to re-learn how to write some combo's after watching Skunk and Dee throw out some stuff I have never seen before. (fortunately, my system adapts pretty easily to it..). It is the only way I can remember or convey what the fists and elbows do, the order they hit and where they come from. I know video and "air punching" along is helpful, but nothing beats old fashion sheet music for portability.

oh, MD, I ain't yelling at ya, I'm actually giving you an "a-men". Your words justify my belief that many would take it to the garage.

Here's a clip trying to add reverse punchess to the elbow strikes. I also raised my platform. That's the beauty of the adjustable platform I tried to remember the sequences you had written down Alan. All things in time with practice lol.
    You're doing a nice O-TES with a "lead fist pass through" to RSP. That is, the same fist as the outward elbow. Le-Lf. But you appear to do it better with you left arm leading than your right. You keep your left elbow and fist up better as your right fist hits the bag, and the left goes behind. It looks nice, for your left fist keeps extending through the bag as your right fist extends in the FSP. That's correct, they should move together because they are "going in the same direction" for that moment. Only at the moment that your Right FSP fist leaves the bag (after contact), does the Left fist start back for the RSP. they flow togher. see :23, :28 :33-really nice. Freeze it at :33 ( or :23 or :28) and look at the perfect angle of your forearm as the elbow hits. notice your elbow-to-fist angle is almost straight back to a point under your right ear. That is the best set up to hit "into" the bag belly.

When you lead with your right elbow, you appear to hit "E-f" and then stop your right fist as your left fist hits. then your right fists ducks down and under for the RSP. Look at your right leading O-TES :21, :26 You can hear the RSP hit "up" on the bottom of the bag and sometimes chank the swivel. You are also raising the Right Elbow up a bit higher than necessary to do the technique, swing it down on the bag, slipping on it a few times. that is because your hitting angle is down and not "into" the bag belly. Freeze it at :36, as your left fist completes the O-TES and look at your right fist, way down at your naval. Your elbow angle took it down there, and now you have to bring it all the way back up again at least 5 or 6 wasted inches to the reverse position behind that bag and listen to the late hit under the belly: (:35 - :36sec R_O-TES ' ' RSP). That is a result of dropping your lead fist after the elbow. If you keep the elbow UP and move the fist straight through, that won't happen. Do it like :45 - 47 secs and you'll smoke it every time. Perfect arm position and fist movements.

You're doing great! I think your arm positions will clean up as your ears adjust your movements to find the sweet spot and sound. Remember, anytime you have a technique with both fists, (O-TES, D-TES, FDP etc.) you have three linking options: 1. lead fist, 2: second fist 3. both fists. No matter how many elbows are involved, or from what direction they come, the fists (lead, second, both) will link just like from a FDP, and that's why learning to link from the Three core double punches (FDP, RDP and SDP) is so important to ultimate fist control and more advanced combinations. They are the heart of the complex beat.

Keep 'em coming. Let's see a O-TES, lead fist: O-TES, second fist, O-TES, Both fists - continuously. It's all about fist control,and you CAN do it!!

[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• Biff
    replied

I'm no AK, but this will give you a visual of what I'm talking about. Here's to continued improvement, MD

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    I tried to remember the sequences you had written down Alan. All things in time with practice lol.

One thing you might wanna try is just having a pad of paper you can tack to the wall....I remember in the speed bag truck Alan had written some things on the wall for Brian to try....a lot easier than looking down at the book while you're trying to learn a particular skill

Leave a comment:

• spinsmashpop
    replied
    Metaldad...you just keep getting better. It'll be great o look back at the vids and see how far you've come and how quickly you got there!
    BAG ON!

Leave a comment:

• metaldad
    started a topic Trying a bit of linking

Trying a bit of linking

I need to start taking the SBB to the garage with me or start writing all the exercises down and post them on my wall. Here's a clip trying to add reverse punchess to the elbow strikes. I also raised my platform. That's the beauty of the adjustable platform I tried to remember the sequences you had written down Alan. All things in time with practice lol.

Last edited by metaldad; 09-23-2009, 06:28 PM.
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...