Roni 9x12 striking bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

This is the single biggest "Bane" of speed bagging. It's not necessarily "stressing" the joint under load like heavy lifting or presses, But it's the sheer repetitiveness of it. when I had my left shoulder replaced, my surgeon had watched my video's and gave me an example of what is going on inside. Remember, I hit with my "elbows up" so the fist goes straight though the belly of the bag to the back. He put his left hand up, palm open and placed his right fist in Front Straight Punch Position onto the palm, so the knuckles of his right fist were resting on the left palm. then he start twisting his forearm back and form, over and over, and he said "This is what is happening inside your shoulder, probably thousands of times a workout." he said "No cartilage surface can hold up for years and years." He also explained that my left shoulder blade was drooping down lower then normal a result of my cervical laminectomy 7 years prior, which place more of the posterior (top) part of my shoulder socket onto the head of the humerus. After 7 years of "twisting" the joint was sheered clean of cartilage. Trust me, THAT hurts. so it had to be replace.

For the record, he rebuilt my left glenoid (socket) with covering of Horse heart tissue.

He said if I was careful and didn't "overdue it" I'd get about 10 years of bagging from it. That was 15 years ago.

So bagging with the elbows down is preferred ?

Comment

Originally posted by ventanakaz View Post
      Modified my roni bag loop, Making it shorter made a fast bag even faster, I liked it before and how it was but from my experience of shortening loops, I knew what I had to do, Man it is so much fun to bag on now, Doing that just made me want to hit the bag even more.
      How do I contact Roni to get a bag? Would you mind private messaging me with what I can expect to pay ? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JoMan2 View Post

I doubt that's what Alan is saying, but if I'm wrong he can correct me.

Comment

How do I contact Roni to get a bag? Would you mind private messaging me with what I can expect to pay ? Thanks!
          Roni speedbag | Etsy This is one of the bags that will spend more time under the drum than on the wall. You will not be disappointed.

Comment

Not really. If you keep your elbows up I think it's easier to pass thru all around bag, but IF you notice your shoulders are unhappy with that position (aching a lot after workout), and you notice a "painful arc" ( https://www.orchardhealthclinic.com/...ment-syndrome/ ) ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7baamxgJNs ) or slight impingement in the joint with the elbows "up" than you might alter that position to avoid the pain. For years my shoulders were NOT painful in that area, but once it began, it just kept getting worse. (A lot of overhead weight lifting didn't help either) I have not had any shoulder problems that punching the bag "made better". I have found medium to full power speed bag punching usually makes a shoulder problem worse due to the high repetition of punches. That is why rotator cuff exercises and good posture to correctly align the scapula and humeral head is very important. With chronic shoulder impingement I have also found that lowering the bag, where the board is Just about my head also helps. That way I can have my fist and forearm level to the belly of the bag for a direct "straight line" Through from front to bag and not have to raise the elbows up so high. But IF you lower the board to drop the level of the belly of the bag, you must be aware that this will also affect elbow striking, particularly the downward elbows, which raise the fist and elbow to ear level, and the downward arc of the fist can hit the edge of the lowered board. that's seriously hurts. I have learned to "drop down" (bend knees) when I do this - lowering my body and head to create a bit more room under the board so the downward fist will not hit the board.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Not really. If you keep your elbows up I think it's easier to pass thru all around bag, but IF you notice your shoulders are unhappy with that position (aching a lot after workout), and you notice a "painful arc" ( https://www.orchardhealthclinic.com/...ment-syndrome/ ) ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7baamxgJNs ) or slight impingement in the joint with the elbows "up" than you might alter that position to avoid the pain. For years my shoulders were NOT painful in that area, but once it began, it just kept getting worse. (A lot of overhead weight lifting didn't help either) I have not had any shoulder problems that punching the bag "made better". I have found medium to full power speed bag punching usually makes a shoulder problem worse due to the high repetition of punches. That is why rotator cuff exercises and good posture to correctly align the scapula and humeral head is very important. With chronic shoulder impingement I have also found that lowering the bag, where the board is Just about my head also helps. That way I can have my fist and forearm level to the belly of the bag for a direct "straight line" Through from front to bag and not have to raise the elbows up so high. But IF you lower the board to drop the level of the belly of the bag, you must be aware that this will also affect elbow striking, particularly the downward elbows, which raise the fist and elbow to ear level, and the downward arc of the fist can hit the edge of the lowered board. that's seriously hurts. I have learned to "drop down" (bend knees) when I do this - lowering my body and head to create a bit more room under the board so the downward fist will not hit the board.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...
              X