Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spdyTommyT
    replied
    Awesome to see another swivel maker!!! Cool to see some original ideas from you and showing your process.

Leave a comment:

• spdyTommyT
    replied
    Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
    Sambista, I respect you because you are doing your own thing from the ground up, not copying somebody else's work.

If you have not ran into this yet, keep an eye out for it. Using PLA for the base is fine for prototyping work. But the low Tg of PLA will cause it to deform due to friction if you punch on it fast/hard/long enough. Investigating other tougher 3D filaments can be lots of fun
    WoWWW, somebody else’s work, ok then

Leave a comment:

• spdyTommyT
    replied
    Originally posted by Sambista View Post
    Thanks, zaza/DizzyD! Glad it was of interest.

I guess I'm actually finished... kind of all of sudden. Here's a few photos to wrap up...

Photo of prototype #9 installed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-04 Matt ( speedbagsambista) • Instagram photos and videos.png
Views:	356
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	126749

Router-trimming one of the boards (old chipboard door):

Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-04 Matt ( speedbagsambista) • Instagram photos and videos(1).png
Views:	330
Size:	526.3 KB
ID:	126750

A stack of two chipboard and one solid elm board, ready for roundovers and paint;

Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-04 Matt ( speedbagsambista) • Instagram photos and videos(2).png
Views:	316
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	126751

Putting it all together, I have my current setup:

Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-04 Matt ( speedbagsambista) • Instagram photos and videos(3).png
Views:	333
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	126752
    Proto 9?!,

Leave a comment:

• Sambista
    replied
    Sambista, I respect you because you are doing your own thing from the ground up, not copying somebody else's work.

If you have not ran into this yet, keep an eye out for it. Using PLA for the base is fine for prototyping work. But the low Tg of PLA will cause it to deform due to friction if you punch on it fast/hard/long enough. Investigating other tougher 3D filaments can be lots of fun
    Thanks, Tom. That's kind of you to say.

I have ABS filament but no thermal enclosure yet, I also have PETG but couldn't get a good first layer. And I imagine shrinkage will differ at which point a couple of prints might be necessary to fine-tune the fit.

But I think in the short-term, I will just re-print in PLA the one I'm happy with to have some replacements ready to go.

Matt.

Leave a comment:

• dad
    replied

I never cease to be amazed at the amount of collective knowledge there is on this site and the willingness to share it. Great

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sambista
    replied
    Originally posted by dad View Post
    I have to ask, are you a wood worker? Is that a universal bench or a larger router table?
    I used to make sawdust for fun, not so much recently. That's a "Paulk workbench", a plywood torsion box, local CNC shop did the grid of holes for me. It's 8'x4' in size, but I can hang it from the ceiling for zero floor footprint.

Leave a comment:

• dad
    replied
    I have to ask, are you a wood worker? Is that a universal bench or a larger router table?

Leave a comment:

• Sambista
    replied
    Hi, Tom. Thanks for your comments.

The list is endless.
    I've settled on POM and PLA for now. I might tweak the "insertion depth" of the ball, as I call it, but thankfully I'm not designing for manufacture. Perhaps I'll learn or appreciate more about my swivel as I learn to bag... I'm certainly missing any direct bagging experience with which to evaluate prototypes... "it swings and it's quiet-ish" is a triumph for me.

I'm sure I don't appreciate even half how much work you and others will put in to producing something that takes all of those additional criteria and constraints into account, that you can stand behind and give back to others who share the hobby!

Originally posted by dad View Post
    ... the journey is always so much more fun than the destination.
    You're right, dad... and there's more...

I've enjoyed making the swivel. And the new board. And it forced me to tidy a corner of my garage so I could install the board somewhere that made more sense. Which in turn has motivated me to clear more of the rest of the workshop and get it back to operation. Which will help to make making more things easier. And I've still to learn to bag and hopefully find some flow, and a release, and some shoulder rehab, and all of that.

So hopefully not withdrawl effects, just enabling the next thing...

Best wishes,
    Matt.

Leave a comment:

• rdshackleford
    replied
    I don't get onto this forum much. This is the first time I have logged on in 4 or 5 months. That being said...
    Sambista you are on the correct tract so far. You have to prototype and test, then prototype then test, then prototype then test, etc. ad nauseum.

I read the first couple of comments and the ball I use is Delrin, not Nylon. The secret is you have to match the materials that form the bearing surface. It can be metal-on-metal, metal-on-plastic, plastic-on-metal, plastic-on-plastic etc. And in each case the best solution is different. And that solution may have criteria based on your business model. Performance vs wear, strength vs failure mode. The list is endless.

I may not get on here for another few months, or never at all, who knows. But I just wanted to say cheers to all who strive to make a better swivel!
    -ArcSwivel, aka rdshackleford, aka Tom

Leave a comment:

• dad
    replied
    Sambista, thank you so much for taking us on a wonderful journey through your project. You are very talented in may areas and I enjoyed watching you workout the process. Great job on the project and even better job on the post. Now is when someone of your knowledge of making things starts to feel the withdrawal effects because the journey is always so much more fun than the destination. Wonderful job.

Leave a comment:

• Sambista
    replied
    Thanks, zaza/DizzyD! Glad it was of interest.

I guess I'm actually finished... kind of all of sudden. Here's a few photos to wrap up...

Photo of prototype #9 installed:

Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-04 Matt ( speedbagsambista) • Instagram photos and videos.png
Views:	356
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	126749

Router-trimming one of the boards (old chipboard door):

Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-04 Matt ( speedbagsambista) • Instagram photos and videos(1).png
Views:	330
Size:	526.3 KB
ID:	126750

A stack of two chipboard and one solid elm board, ready for roundovers and paint;

Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-04 Matt ( speedbagsambista) • Instagram photos and videos(2).png
Views:	316
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	126751

Putting it all together, I have my current setup:

Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-04 Matt ( speedbagsambista) • Instagram photos and videos(3).png
Views:	333
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	126752

Leave a comment:

• DizzyD
    replied
    Interesting to read through your process of creation! Keep going!

Leave a comment:

• Zaza
    replied
    very interesting stuff!

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    Originally posted by Sambista View Post

Replacement balls arrived today, sold as "POM". Currently running one in #5 and what a massive difference for me over nylon in terms of smoothness and noise. I'll print a new shape #8 later, with a few more adjustments.

Thanks again for the tip!
    That's good to hear. Slippery stuff it is.

Leave a comment:

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...