• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TabuIsMe
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2012

Hey =]

My name is Jennifer, I finally got my speedbag installed over the weekend and started using it yesterday... it's more difficult then what I thought it would be, but i love it. I joined the forum to learn more
    Here is a pic of my setup:

Maybe I'm wrong but I read somewhere that if i place a weight on top it would be more quiet when i use it? and if so would a bunch of books work?
    thanks in advance
  • TabuIsMe
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ventanakaz
    ...welcome to the forum jennifer, a sand bag would work better than books. i have 35lbs of sand on my platform it helps alot with vibration and makes it more quiet. if you try out the books make sure they don't fall off while your baggin and hit you in the head :-0...ralph btw i was told by raul that a bag or bags of mud that u get from home depot work better than a bag of sand for vib ;-)
    Thanks for the welcome I didn't even know home depot sold bags of mud, but I'll go check that out. Sounds better then books!

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Welcome Jennifer.... you're going to love baggin'!

I'm with Ralph on this.... use bags of playground sand, small grind stone or even water softener salts (all available at Home Depot). Books, bricks...stuff like that is an accident waiting to happen.

It does seem difficult at first, but with a little practice (and do yourself a favor and get a copy of Alan's book "The Speed Bag Bible"... you get a discount as a member of the forum: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1479 ) you'll be having a blast.

Here's me at one month: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3509

Then at 4 months in: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3742

Have fun... practice...and post some video!
      Cheers,
      -Zaza
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by TabuIsMe View Post
        My name is Jennifer, I finally got my speedbag installed over the weekend and started using it yesterday... it's more difficult then what I thought it would be, but i love it. I joined the forum to learn more
        Here is a pic of my setup:

Maybe I'm wrong but I read somewhere that if i place a weight on top it would be more quiet when i use it? and if so would a bunch of books work?
        thanks in advance
        Welcome TabuIsMe (Jennifer)

That is a good set up and could benefit from some weights over the top. To help deaden the sound I would recommend putting a thick blanket or quilt over the top and place about 25lbs or so of sand. To make it easy and distribute the weigt evenly on the board your could also get 2 10-pounds bags of cheap cat litter, and lay then overhead on the quilt, one just off left center and the other right center. Ideally the weight should be distributed evenly and the two separate bags will help. The quilt/blanket and sand or litter will also help muffle some of the bag sounds as well as hole the unit more stable by reducing the sway.

Good luck and we look foreward to seeing your bag and board in action!
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Welcome Jennifer! You would be hard pressed to find a better (and nicer) bunch of teachers than those here. We all enjoy sharing the speed bag experience. Yes it may not be as easy as appears, but with a little patience and practice it will come to you as well. It is addictive, but in a good way.

Comment

• TabuIsMe
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Welcome TabuIsMe (Jennifer)

That is a good set up and could benefit from some weights over the top. To help deaden the sound I would recommend putting a thick blanket or quilt over the top and place about 25lbs or so of sand. To make it easy and distribute the weigt evenly on the board your could also get 2 10-pounds bags of cheap cat litter, and lay then overhead on the quilt, one just off left center and the other right center. Ideally the weight should be distributed evenly and the two separate bags will help. The quilt/blanket and sand or litter will also help muffle some of the bag sounds as well as hole the unit more stable by reducing the sway.

Good luck and we look foreward to seeing your bag and board in action!
            So i went to home depot and the lightest bag they have is 40 lbs, i'm still looking for a good weight because i dont want to make the neighbors angry, maybe i should just get a few bags of cat litter and distribute them evenly?

Comment

• TabuIsMe
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ventanakaz
              ...hey TabuIsMe when i told you that u can also use mud what i should have said what the real name of it was, dry wall guys call it mud but the real name is (Joint Compound) i think you should be able to find a smaller LBS than 40 lbs it comes in different sizes you can also find it at your local hardware store but it will cost more than getting it at home depot. i think that like what raul told me it will work better than sand and absorb more vibration and sound. good luck...ralph
              When i asked for mud bags people looked at me like i was a weirdo lol Is that near the cement and stuff?

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by TabuIsMe View Post
                When i asked for mud bags people looked at me like i was a weirdo lol Is that near the cement and stuff?
                Hi TabuIMe and welcome to the forum! This is what I use on top of my speed bag drums. A BOX of Joint Compound (also known as muddding compound). Beadex Joint Compound from Home Depot is only $7.45 for a 45-pound box).

My reason for using compound rather than sand, or other forms of weight, is this: This stuff is in a heavy plastic bag that is packaged in a square box and is a thick, mud-like consistency. The theory for using this is that the vibration from punching will be absorbed into this thick, gluey material and dispersed, rather than causing more rattling (like solid weights would cause). These are easier to deal with, because it's contained inside a box. I have heard that you have to make sure the bags of sand are enclosed in a heavy-duty garbage bag and then taped up to keep the sand from sifting out.

As long as you don't poke the box with a sharp object, this method should work for most people. I put 3 boxes of this stuff on top of my 36"-wide steel speed bag platform. I hope this helps clear up the "mud" question.
                Attached Files
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• TabuIsMe
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                  Hi TabuIMe and welcome to the forum! This is what I use on top of my speed bag drums. A BOX of Joint Compound (also known as muddding compound). Beadex Joint Compound from Home Depot is only $7.45 for a 45-pound box).

My reason for using compound rather than sand, or other forms of weight, is this: This stuff is in a heavy plastic bag that is packaged in a square box and is a thick, mud-like consistency. The theory for using this is that the vibration from punching will be absorbed into this thick, gluey material and dispersed, rather than causing more rattling (like solid weights would cause). These are easier to deal with, because it's contained inside a box. I have heard that you have to make sure the bags of sand are enclosed in a heavy-duty garbage bag and then taped up to keep the sand from sifting out.

As long as you don't poke the box with a sharp object, this method should work for most people. I put 3 boxes of this stuff on top of my 36"-wide steel speed bag platform. I hope this helps clear up the "mud" question.
                  Thank you! going to get that now

Comment

• TabuIsMe
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2012

Home depot didn't have joint compound boxes, just in buckets... well.. I dont care, unless people complain I'm cranking the noise up with the speedbag.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...