• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bagdaddy
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2010

Hello, from a New Member

Wow!!!! I found this site this morning and I’m blown away! I have never hit a speed bag, but I have always wanted to. Lately I’ve been considering trying the speed bag to help with my shoulder rehab. I had rotator cuff repair surgery in November on my right (strongside) shoulder. I got on the web this morning to Google “speed bag.” I was interested in pricing some speed bags, etc… That’s where I found this site. I now realize I have been clueless about speed bagging! I watched several videos from this forum of bag drumming and I’m psyched about them. I read dozens of member posts and began to feel like I was in good company. The posts have been clean and respectful. That impresses me. I appreciate it.

I read about the SPEED B.A.G. 2010 event and I find myself wanting to be part of it. I won’t make it this year, but maybe next year. It’ll give me time to learn a little bit too. Like I said, I have never hit a speed bag before, but always wanted to. I’m 54 years old this year and I want to get my overall health and conditioning back ASAP. I can hear my wife now --- “you’ve got twenty irons in the fire and now you want to start something else.” She’s right! But I really want to learn how to hit a speed bag. I really want to learn to do it to music too! I’m a fan of Travis Tritt and I can see me speed bagging to T.R.O.U.B.L.E… MAN! I’m excited!!!

My life is very, very busy and the last thing I needed was to get interested in something else! Dang it! Somehow I’ve got to figure out how to add this new interest in speed bagging into my life!

Wish me luck guys! I’m gonna need it!

bagdaddy
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Welcome. I'm nearly your age and think bagging is great. It is the "chess" of fitness equipment -- a thinking man's or thinking woman's exercise. Plus you can make your own jaw drop when you finally pull off a combo you've been working on -- life doesn't get any better than the speed bag. Well, you know what I mean.

Comment

• bagdaddy
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2010

Thanks paranday. The Doc say's I need one year for full recovery from my shoulder surgery, but I can do strenghting exercises after six months. It's been seven months, so I'm ready to try a speed bag. I know I wont be able to hold my right arm up very long though. I'm concerned about overdoing it. I guess I just have to get a bag and find out.

bagdaddy

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey BD, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn all about speed bagging. You'll find lots of knowlegable folks willing to help.

Ask your doctor about using the bag to help in your recovery. And here's to a speedy and complete recovery.

Comment

• bagdaddy
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2010

Thanks for the welcome and speedy recovery wish Biff!

Comment

• Joe
            • May 2010

I have had two shoulder reconstructions. One was from a hockey injury when I was playing in mens league hockey league and collided with a guy just south of the blueline... went ass over teakettle and dislocated it tearing it all up. The ending to that story was that the same guy I collided with ended up being the surgeon who reconstructed my shoulder. Talk about taking the whole idea of drumming up business to an extreme.

The second shoulder injury (that resulted in surgery on the other side) was from a work related injury. I had a drunk guy decide he wanted to play MMA with my on a traffic stop. He handed it to me pretty good. I still dislike that guy.

Its amazing what they ccan do. A year is about right. But sometime around teh yeart mark youll hopefully forget you had anything done to it. Sad to report that my chances of getting picked up by the RedSox as a multi -million dollar closing pitcher are probably over. Then again at 38 it was probably a pipe dream anyways.
            sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by bagdaddy View Post
              Wow!!!! I found this site this morning and I’m blown away! I have never hit a speed bag, but I have always wanted to. Lately I’ve been considering trying the speed bag to help with my shoulder rehab. I had rotator cuff repair surgery in November on my right (strongside) shoulder. I got on the web this morning to Google “speed bag.” I was interested in pricing some speed bags, etc… That’s where I found this site. I now realize I have been clueless about speed bagging! I watched several videos from this forum of bag drumming and I’m psyched about them. I read dozens of member posts and began to feel like I was in good company. The posts have been clean and respectful. That impresses me. I appreciate it.

I read about the SPEED B.A.G. 2010 event and I find myself wanting to be part of it. I won’t make it this year, but maybe next year. It’ll give me time to learn a little bit too. Like I said, I have never hit a speed bag before, but always wanted to. I’m 54 years old this year and I want to get my overall health and conditioning back ASAP. I can hear my wife now --- “you’ve got twenty irons in the fire and now you want to start something else.” She’s right! But I really want to learn how to hit a speed bag. I really want to learn to do it to music too! I’m a fan of Travis Tritt and I can see me speed bagging to T.R.O.U.B.L.E… MAN! I’m excited!!!

My life is very, very busy and the last thing I needed was to get interested in something else! Dang it! Somehow I’ve got to figure out how to add this new interest in speed bagging into my life!

Wish me luck guys! I’m gonna need it!

bagdaddy
              Rotator Cuff Surgery? Oh yea, I had three of those also.....

Welcome Bagdaddy. Come on down to SpeedBAG2010. You don't have to be an accomplished bagger to join in. Heck, you don't have to be an un-accomplished bagger to join in. We'll take anyone, long as they love and respect "everything speed bag" you got a home here. Join us in Jersey! We'll go easy on ya - and you'll have a great time. Matter of fact, you may learn a bit about the bag, too.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• bagdaddy
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by HomerFett View Post
                I have had two shoulder reconstructions. One was from a hockey injury when I was playing in mens league hockey league and collided with a guy just south of the blueline... went ass over teakettle and dislocated it tearing it all up. The ending to that story was that the same guy I collided with ended up being the surgeon who reconstructed my shoulder. Talk about taking the whole idea of drumming up business to an extreme.

The second shoulder injury (that resulted in surgery on the other side) was from a work related injury. I had a drunk guy decide he wanted to play MMA with my on a traffic stop. He handed it to me pretty good. I still dislike that guy.

Its amazing what they ccan do. A year is about right. But sometime around teh yeart mark youll hopefully forget you had anything done to it. Sad to report that my chances of getting picked up by the RedSox as a multi -million dollar closing pitcher are probably over. Then again at 38 it was probably a pipe dream anyways.
                Oh MAN! How ironic is that? Talk about a conflict-of-interst! That is too weird! Just goes to prove "Hollywood ain't got nothin on reality." I feel for ya HF. One surgery...on one shoulder...is plenty for me! I hope your right about the forgetting part. I'm looking forward to getting back to business as usual (less the abuse I used to impose on my shoulders!). I shutter to think about pitching a slow-pitch to my grandson; can't imagine a fast-ball! Ouch!!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Rotator Cuff Surgery? Oh yea, I had three of those also.....

Welcome Bagdaddy. Come on down to SpeedBAG2010. You don't have to be an accomplished bagger to join in. Heck, you don't have to be an un-accomplished bagger to join in. We'll take anyone, long as they love and respect "everything speed bag" you got a home here. Join us in Jersey! We'll go easy on ya - and you'll have a great time. Matter of fact, you may learn a bit about the bag, too.
                Three repairs? Please tell me that speed bagging had nothing to do with it! I went through the motions yesterday pretending I was speed bagging (I don't have a bag yet!). I got fatigued at about one minute! So I obviously have some conditioning to do. Won't make it to SPEEDBAG2010, but assuming I can hang with this new interest (shoulder wise), I look forward to 2011. Still, I hate I'm missing the very first party. I'm looking forward to ordering the four-CD Speedbag Bible series from you (autographed?). Should I get the book too you think? Wow! That question is almost like playing hockey against a shoulder surgeon ain't it? Just kiddin HomerFett! Thanks for the welcome Speedbag!

Comment

• bagdaddy
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2010

[QUOTE=HomerFett;20736]The second shoulder injury (that resulted in surgery on the other side) was from a work related injury. I had a drunk guy decide he wanted to play MMA with my on a traffic stop. He handed it to me pretty good. I still dislike that guy.QUOTE]

Sorry HomerFett; I ain’t up on the acronym MMA. Please share what it means. I’m guessing you’re a LEO. My oldest son is a reserve Sheriff’s Deputy in Tennessee. Anyway, I guess your shoulders are ok for bagging now huh? I look forward to having mine back in shape. Any pointers on protecting my shoulders while bagging would be welcomed from anyone and greatly appreciated!

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Any pointers on protecting my shoulders while bagging would be welcomed from anyone and greatly appreciated!
                    Welcome to the forums!

Here's some pointers:
                    1. Start slow and build things up slowly. Don't jump in and bag for 8 hours on the first day
                    2. If it hurts, don't do it.
                    3. Anything done to extremes will cause overuse problems. Speed bagging is no different.

I had labrum tear (weight lifting) and impingement fix on left shoulder 3 years ago. Full and complete recovery took 18 months, but I was up and bagging at 9 months or so I think. Left shoulder is now fantastic, good as new

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I can hear my wife now --- “you’ve got twenty irons in the fire and now you want to start something else.” She’s right! But I really want to learn how to hit a speed bag.
                      Speed bag is a wonderful hobby, it requires a very minimal amount of equipment (and even that equipment is relatively cheap). it can be done standing or sitting, in doors or outdoors. It can be done in between weight lifting sets or anywhere you can spare 5 minutes. Also it's like riding a bike, you never forget. Taking 1,2, or 6 months off is no big deal ... it all comes back quickly. It's a good investment in that sense.

The point is, speed bag can co-exist peacefully with your other 20 endeavors, so give it a shot !!!!

Comment

• bagdaddy
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        Speed bag is a wonderful hobby, it requires a very minimal amount of equipment (and even that equipment is relatively cheap). it can be done standing or sitting, in doors or outdoors. It can be done in between weight lifting sets or anywhere you can spare 5 minutes. Also it's like riding a bike, you never forget. Taking 1,2, or 6 months off is no big deal ... it all comes back quickly. It's a good investment in that sense.

The point is, speed bag can co-exist peacefully with your other 20 endeavors, so give it a shot !!!!
                        Good perspective Tim. Thanks!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        Welcome to the forums!

Here's some pointers:
                        1. Start slow and build things up slowly. Don't jump in and bag for 8 hours on the first day
                        2. If it hurts, don't do it.
                        3. Anything done to extremes will cause overuse problems. Speed bagging is no different.

I had labrum tear (weight lifting) and impingement fix on left shoulder 3 years ago. Full and complete recovery took 18 months, but I was up and bagging at 9 months or so I think. Left shoulder is now fantastic, good as new
                        Great pointers Tim! Thanks! According to my Doc, I had a "small" tear in my supraspinatus muscle tendon. If what I had is small, I shutter to think about the debilties of anything more severe. Can you expand on what "full and complete recovery" means to you? I haven't quite got my arms wrapped around what that means yet. This has really cramped my style. Thanks for the recovery info in reference to your shoulder and baggin. I realize hindsight is 20/20. If I knew then, about shoulders, what I know now; the "tear" would never have happened. But we can't live in the past can we? I can however learn from it and do my homework on the front-end and hopefully greatly reduce the my chances of unknowingly abusing some muscle, joint, etc... That's why I'm curious about the "watchouts" related to speed bagging. On one hand I can see how it can be done with poor form or as you said, overdone thereby creating problems. One the other hand I can see the rehabitation benifits from it. I just want to do my homework and nail down a plan up front that will help me and not hurt me. Thanks for the welcome Tim! This is a great forum!

Comment

• bagdaddy
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jun 2010

Well, I Finally Made It!

Hi guys. I hooked onto this old thread because I haven't been active on the forum for some time now. I'm sure you guys have forgotten me. I have been reading the forum...just not posting because I have been impatiently waiting for my rotator cuff to heal to the point that I could begin to learn how to speed bag. Well, I finally made it! It's been a struggle with my shoulder, but now I look forward to a snuggle with the speed bag.

In case you can't tell, I'm excited about hitting the speed bag. Last month, my son and I made some platforms from some surplus 1-3/4" butcher block material. They include the Title Pro Swivels and Title speed bags. I'm giving them away for Christmas to my children and grandchildren.

I hit the speed bag last month for the first time in my life. It's very exciting! I have noticed that it really, really makes my shoulder feel good! I did over do it a couple of times by hitting too hard and caused a little distress. But I let that recover over a couple of days and now I just do some smooth and easy bagging for a great workout on my shoulders. I love it! I don't see this old man ever hitting like you guys, but I'll probably keep trying anyway.

I want to thank you guys for the words of encouragement so long ago and for the inspiration as well as knowledge that this forum contains.

Bagdaddy
                          Last edited by bagdaddy; 12-03-2011, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi guys. I hooked onto this old thread because I haven't been active on the forum for some time now. I'm sure you guys have forgotten me. I have been reading the forum...just not posting because I have been impatiently waiting for my rotator cuff to heal to the point that I could begin to learn how to speed bag. Well, I finally made it! It's been a struggle with my shoulder, but now I look forward to a snuggle with the speed bag.

In case you can't tell, I'm excited about hitting the speed bag. Last month, my son and I made some platforms from some surplus 1-3/4" butcher block material. They include the Title Pro Swivels and Title speed bags. I'm giving them away for Christmas to my children and grandchildren.

I hit the speed bag last month for the first time in my life. It's very exciting! I have noticed that it really, really makes my shoulder feel good! I did over do it a couple of times by hitting too hard and caused a little distress. But I let that recover over a couple of days and now I just do some smooth and easy bagging for a great workout on my shoulders. I love it! I don't see this old man ever hitting like you guys, but I'll probably keep trying anyway.

I want to thank you guys for the words of encouragement so long ago and for the inspiration as well as knowledge that this forum contains.

Bagdaddy
                            Congratulations on your progess and welcome back, (..as if you ever really left). Don't worry a bit about "...hitting like you guys". Just do the best you can, that is all the speed bag ever asks of you. Many of us war torn baggers aren't near what we used to be, but the bag just smiles and says "hit me".

Good luck, and I love your idea to make boards, etc and give it to family members. Very cool.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• bagdaddy
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                              Congratulations on your progess and welcome back, (..as if you ever really left). Don't worry a bit about "...hitting like you guys". Just do the best you can, that is all the speed bag ever asks of you. Many of us war torn baggers aren't near what we used to be, but the bag just smiles and says "hit me".

Good luck, and I love your idea to make boards, etc and give it to family members. Very cool.
                              Thanks Alan! I have your 2 Hr Training Video..."The Speed Bag Bible." I am currently nailing down the very first lesson. My challenge, I know, is going to be learning the terminology as well as the moves. But I'm in no hurry, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

I want to make some platforms next year for the youth group at my church. I think it will be a good thing for them.

Alan, you have accomplished a great thing by giving these moves names and making the DVDs so that the rest of the world can study and comprehend them. I want to say from my heart...Thank You!

I also want to say that this forum is without a doubt, the inspiration for me to speed bag as well as do what I can to further the sport. I think punch drumming is in it's infancy and is destined to become a highly sought-after skill by young and old alike. And it's going to be this forum that launches that movement...because of it's tasteful administration. I really. really appreciate the fact that no one here talks ugly, ridicules another or belittles in any way. There is healthy humor and banter on this forum as well as knowledge and information about speed bagging and punch drumming that cannot be found elsewhere. Thank you Tim for that!

Bagdaddy

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...