• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

Roge 2-5-14

Good Evening. Here is a new video of Roge hitting the bag. Nice linking and reverse double bump. Go girl go.

• Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

That's great!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Oh yea, start running that bath water now! you got those double bumps working for ya! I saw both hands doing Reverse Single Punch (RSP) double bumps and some nice Reverse Double Punches (RDP) also, along with the front side double bumps. Great work on some pretty complicated combinations.

I didn't miss those two opening Downward Single Elbow Strikes (D-SES) either. Actually, if you just extend your fist a smidge from the elbow and keep it moving, the bag will rebound into that fist and make it a Downward-Double Elbow Strike (D-DES), hitting elbow-fist.

(* just a thought).

Last edited by Speedbag; 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rehamco1
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2013

everlast bag

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        It good to see another video from you roge, your doing great and the most important thing I see in your vid is your having fun. Love the smile at the end, what brand and size bag are you hitting on ?...ralph
        thank you for your comments...my bag is an everlast...I like it because it is easy on my hands...I broke both of my wrists at the same time and have metal in my wrists and palms so I have to be careful when I am bagging. swfl gave me the bag and told me it was a rather large everlast. I am using the swivel he was using before he got his new one so I don't know the name of it. I will try to take a picture of the bag and swivel and post it.

Comment

• rehamco1
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2013

thank you encouragement helps a lot.

Comment

• rehamco1
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2013

thoughts appreciated

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Oh yea, start running that bath water now! you got those double bumps working for ya! I saw both hands doing Reverse Single Punch (RSP) double bumps and some nice Reverse Double Punches (RDP) also, along with the front side double bumps. Great work on some pretty complicated combinations.

I didn't miss those two opening Downward Single Elbow Strikes (D-SES) either. Actually, if you just extend your fist a smidge from the elbow and keep it moving, the bag will rebound into that fist and make it a Downward-Double Elbow Strike (D-DES), hitting elbow-fist.

(* just a thought).

thank you...I am going to try D DES fun learning new punches...been trying the side to side elbow roll....wish I could keep better control when I go faster feel like I am doing slow bag instead of speed bag...enjoy doing more and different combinations...and I absolutely love being in the zone can hit the bag with elbow when the bag is still...is there a secret to being able to hit the bag with the elbow when the bag is in motion...or is the answer just practice practice practice? thank you for taking the time and care to write and to give me your thoughts. roge

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rehamco1 View Post
              thank you...I am going to try D DES fun learning new punches...been trying the side to side elbow roll....wish I could keep better control when I go faster feel like I am doing slow bag instead of speed bag...
              That is why we call it "the control bag". Please do not worry, or focus, on speed. That will show up on it's own, when you least expect it. At the learning stages, you cannot force speed, for it is really dependent on several factors that you can't always control. Focus on "controlling your movements, the size of your motions and consistently repetitive force of your punches. As all of these fall into place your bag will go faster.

...is there a secret to being able to hit the bag with the elbow when the bag is in motion...
              Yes, there is a secret, and the answer, IMO, is the position of elbow contact within the rebound. Notice when you fist is hitting the bag you will feel that "sweet spot" in the rebound that yields a perfect contact. Repetitive punching with the fists, making solid punches, is usually the result of making contact in the exact sweet spot ( [1] on the bag belly, [2] in the same angle in the rebound off the board). you will notice a "mis hit", weak punch or the fist slips off the bag if the contact point varies from this sweet spot. The very same thing is true with the elbow strikes. But, and this is part of the secret, the repetitive motions of the circling fists is almost always the same, but the arm motions required for the angles of elbow strikes will vary depending on the angle of the elbow coming to the bag. An Outward Elbow Strike requires a little different motion and timing than a downward, and so does the inward. All three elbow strikes require slight adjustments in arm motion and distances to contact the bag in that sweet spot of the rebound. Most people automatically adapt to this without thinking much about it, But when I find someone who "just can't get that particular elbow strike (out, in or down), I would suggest they just focus on THAT movement, working the Single, then Double, then Triple strike of that elbow group. This makes you really feel and focus on the shoulder motions and swing distances required to make it work. Then go from the basic rhythm to that single, double then triple strike until it feels natural and your elbow starts landing in that sweet spot of the rebound, on the belly of the bag. Downwards are normally more problematic for that elbow tends to slide down the surface of the bag because if its angle of attack above the bag. After your elbow can find that sweet spot from the basic rhythm, then start using it off the single or double fist linking movements, which are a bit more difficult because you lose one rebound to complete the movement (linking fists = 2 rebound in between, not 3 ) (* unless you use 4, but that is still a timing change).

sounds like a lot but the basic tip is, finding that sweet spot in the rebound fixes a lot of problems. I don't see you being far off it actually.

.or is the answer just practice practice practice?
              Yes that is true also - Practice is the key, but not the only key. You really need to practice with a purpose and have a goal in mind. Many people have "practiced for hours, days and then years" without ever progressing past a certain level. Because they just keep practicing what they already know how to do and have no particular or specific knowledge of what else to do or the best method to learn what they do not know how to do.

As an example, you can watch an advanced bagger do an Outward-Triple Elbow Strike, Pass both fists to a RDP then spits the fists by bringing the lead fist "back to the front of the bag" into a Front Straight Punch ' ' Reverse Single Punch positions, Then pass the reverse fist to the front to lead a Downward-Triple Elbow Strike. In fact it is a simple combination, but looks very complicated when done even at half speed...... SO, if you see that combo and don't understand what you just saw, and have no idea of the skills or techniques required to do it, you can "practice and practice" for years and never figure it out. But IF you get a bit of knowledge about the individual techniques mentioned, learn the secret to linking fists through the bag, THEN you can devise a practice routine that leads to understanding and doing that combination.

Point is if you don't know HOW, or WHAT to practice, then just practicing won't get you there.

Shameless promotion:

I tried to offer a written and video guide to help people learn to figure this out and how to practice.

. thank you for taking the time and care to write and to give me your thoughts. roge
              My dear, it is an honor to help you personally. I know some of the road you have travelled and I am in awe of your stamina and perserverance. Few may know the price you've paid to even stand under a board and do what you do. You ARE a living part of the speed bag story and what it can offer to people, and I am dead serious about that. My personal thanks also to SWFL for maintaining his presence in your life.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rehamco1
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                That is why we call it "the control bag". Please do not worry, or focus, on speed. That will show up on it's own, when you least expect it. At the learning stages, you cannot force speed, for it is really dependent on several factors that you can't always control. Focus on "controlling your movements, the size of your motions and consistently repetitive force of your punches. As all of these fall into place your bag will go faster.

Yes, there is a secret, and the answer, IMO, is the position of elbow contact within the rebound. Notice when you fist is hitting the bag you will feel that "sweet spot" in the rebound that yields a perfect contact. Repetitive punching with the fists, making solid punches, is usually the result of making contact in the exact sweet spot ( [1] on the bag belly, [2] in the same angle in the rebound off the board). you will notice a "mis hit", weak punch or the fist slips off the bag if the contact point varies from this sweet spot. The very same thing is true with the elbow strikes. But, and this is part of the secret, the repetitive motions of the circling fists is almost always the same, but the arm motions required for the angles of elbow strikes will vary depending on the angle of the elbow coming to the bag. An Outward Elbow Strike requires a little different motion and timing than a downward, and so does the inward. All three elbow strikes require slight adjustments in arm motion and distances to contact the bag in that sweet spot of the rebound. Most people automatically adapt to this without thinking much about it, But when I find someone who "just can't get that particular elbow strike (out, in or down), I would suggest they just focus on THAT movement, working the Single, then Double, then Triple strike of that elbow group. This makes you really feel and focus on the shoulder motions and swing distances required to make it work. Then go from the basic rhythm to that single, double then triple strike until it feels natural and your elbow starts landing in that sweet spot of the rebound, on the belly of the bag. Downwards are normally more problematic for that elbow tends to slide down the surface of the bag because if its angle of attack above the bag. After your elbow can find that sweet spot from the basic rhythm, then start using it off the single or double fist linking movements, which are a bit more difficult because you lose one rebound to complete the movement (linking fists = 2 rebound in between, not 3 ) (* unless you use 4, but that is still a timing change).

sounds like a lot but the basic tip is, finding that sweet spot in the rebound fixes a lot of problems. I don't see you being far off it actually.

Yes that is true also - Practice is the key, but not the only key. You really need to practice with a purpose and have a goal in mind. Many people have "practiced for hours, days and then years" without ever progressing past a certain level. Because they just keep practicing what they already know how to do and have no particular or specific knowledge of what else to do or the best method to learn what they do not know how to do.

As an example, you can watch an advanced bagger do an Outward-Triple Elbow Strike, Pass both fists to a RDP then spits the fists by bringing the lead fist "back to the front of the bag" into a Front Straight Punch ' ' Reverse Single Punch positions, Then pass the reverse fist to the front to lead a Downward-Triple Elbow Strike. In fact it is a simple combination, but looks very complicated when done even at half speed...... SO, if you see that combo and don't understand what you just saw, and have no idea of the skills or techniques required to do it, you can "practice and practice" for years and never figure it out. But IF you get a bit of knowledge about the individual techniques mentioned, learn the secret to linking fists through the bag, THEN you can devise a practice routine that leads to understanding and doing that combination.

Point is if you don't know HOW, or WHAT to practice, then just practicing won't get you there.

Shameless promotion:

I tried to offer a written and video guide to help people learn to figure this out and how to practice.

My dear, it is an honor to help you personally. I know some of the road you have travelled and I am in awe of your stamina and perserverance. Few may know the price you've paid to even stand under a board and do what you do. You ARE a living part of the speed bag story and what it can offer to people, and I am dead serious about that. My personal thanks also to SWFL for maintaining his presence in your life.
                Thank you!!! that means a lot...I am looking for another song to punch to
                I am doing D DES extended my arm and it worked...I am trying to go from that to an elbow stutter . I haven't seen anyone do that ...SWFL really keeps me on track.
                I will listen to any and all tips suggestions you care to share and I thank you very much for any and all of them..roge

Comment

• swfl
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2013

Nice thread. Very motivational words by all and thank you Alan. This is what its about. People enjoying the sport. This small group of folks are the best.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...