Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MsDeville and the Stones -- "Gimme Shelter"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MsDeville and the Stones -- "Gimme Shelter"

    Sorry. I couldn't help myself ... I love this song. So rhythmic. It's funny. I didn't listen to the Stones as a teenager. Heard this on the radio and had to buy it. I'm a terrible impulse buyer when it comes to buying music on iTunes.

    I wonder if YouTube will yank the music since it's the Stones. I usually try to play to music that's a little more obscure...

    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

  • #2
    Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
    Sorry. I couldn't help myself ... I love this song. So rhythmic. It's funny. I didn't listen to the Stones as a teenager. Heard this on the radio and had to buy it. I'm a terrible impulse buyer when it comes to buying music on iTunes.

    I wonder if YouTube will yank the music since it's the Stones. I usually try to play to music that's a little more obscure...
    forget about your music being "obscure". Youtube has an automatic online scanner for music. I am surprised the music police has not contacted you yet concerning copyrighted music. I've gotten lots of notices from them and had the sound stripped from a number of them. Pooey.

    But you're looking and punching very terrific! Some very cool combinations in straight time. Love the on-time helicopters at 3:25-3:38. Very original. Did you plan that?
    Last edited by Speedbag; 09-09-2010, 06:14 PM.
    Speed Bag

    Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

    THE 10th Year Reunion!

    sigpic

    The Art of the Bag

    Comment


    • #3
      That was very neat
      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

      Comment


      • #4
        Can't say enough Ms D!!!!! When I first seen you punching.... I think probably close to a year ago I thought if she sticks with this she will do great things on the bag. My Intuition was right and then some! Great song choice. Killer controlled helicopter move!! Great control period!!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          YOU TUBE and copyright issues...

          Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          forget about your music being "obscure". They have an automatic online scanner for music. I am surprised the music policehas not contacted you yet concerning copyrighted music. I've gotten lots of notices from them and had the sound stripped from a number of them. Pooey.
          Yes, I figure that they have high-tech stuff to scan the ga-zillions of You Tube videos that are uploaded every day. But, so far, they haven't gotten around to deleting the audio on my videos. They have done it to only 2 or 3. This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sSj-sQTTKE had the audio swapped out because I had punched to a Doobie Brothers song.

          At the time I was able to swap it out for the old Johnny B. Good song by Chuck Berry. But, then later, YouTube removed that song from their library of "acceptable generic" songs. The music I recently used from the YouTube music library isn't too bad, but it's obvious that I'm not punching to that particular song in the video. Oh well.

          Wow. I've changed a bit since this video from Dec. 2009, about 3-1/2 months in to my SB workouts. That bag served me well.

          As for YT bugging me about copyright issues... I have little notations from YT on my videos that have copyrighted material ... but, it's like they're simply acknowledging it and letting me know about it. But, they are taking no steps to delete it... Fine by ME! I figure I'm pushing the envelope with the Stones...


          Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          But you're looking and punching very terrific! Some very cool combinations in straight time. Love the on-time helicopters at 3:25-3:38. Very original. Did you plan that?
          Heck no! I had an elbow mis-hit, but, I thought I'd try going with it. The same thing had happened to me the night before... it was kinda fun. And, boy, you have to be fast! That's why I couldn't keep it up for very long

          You know where I do the linking from 1:23-1:27? I love doing that move, but, man, it really drains the power out of me. That's why I goofed up right after that. I was spent. (my reflection in the mirror indicates it, for sure.) No gas in the carburetor! My arms felt like lead for those few seconds. By the time I got to 2:22 though, I was in the groove and just goin' for it... love it when I get to that place. (It's so mesmerizing and euphoric, if this makes sense to anyone.) Then, I ran out of steam again at 3:15. I recovered a bit after the helicopter segment, but, I probably shouldn't have videotaped this so far in to my workout. Gotta eat more Wheaties or spinach...
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
            That was very neat
            Do you mean NEAT as in COOL,
            or NEAT as in TIDY...?

            Thank you, Roc. You know, I admire your punch-drumming skills, and try to glean as much as I can from your videos. Hope you get a chance to upload some more in the near future ...


            Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
            Can't say enough Ms D!!!!! When I first seen you punching.... I think probably close to a year ago I thought if she sticks with this she will do great things on the bag. My Intuition was right and then some! Great song choice. Killer controlled helicopter move!! Great control period!!!!
            Thanks, Daniel. Boy, when I look back at those first two videos, I cringe at how badly I sucked. And, Biff was so kind to suggest Speedbagforum to me. Boy, I can't say enough about this message board. And, with the addition of the History of speed bagging, it's even more fascinating.

            I know I seem to be hogging this (Hitting to Music) Topic of late. But, I seem to continue to bubble out all this passion and need to punch drum.
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
              Heck no! I had an elbow mis-hit, but, I thought I'd try going with it. The same thing had happened to me the night before... it was kinda fun. And, boy, you have to be fast! That's why I couldn't keep it up for very long
              Yeah, I was joking about "Did you do that on purpose....". Once you can control a speed bag fairly well it is almost impossible to do helicopters on purpose, OR break it off while hitting the bag. Once it starts, it just keep going no matter how many times I hit it. For me it almost demands a complete stop and restart. You can normally repair or fix an errant rebound with the next punch or two, but once the bags gone horizontal and the 'copter takes off, you have to land it and start over.

              Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
              You know where I do the linking from 1:23-1:27? I love doing that move, but, man, it really drains the power out of me. That's why I goofed up right after that. I was spent. (my reflection in the mirror indicates it, for sure.) No gas in the carburetor! My arms felt like lead for those few seconds. By the time I got to 2:22 though, I was in the groove and just goin' for it... love it when I get to that place. (It's so mesmerizing and euphoric, if this makes sense to anyone.) Then, I ran out of steam again at 3:15. I recovered a bit after the helicopter segment, but, I probably shouldn't have videotaped this so far in to my workout. Gotta eat more Wheaties or spinach...
              HA!! so, you ran out of steam at 3:15!?? Do you know most people can't hold a steady bag rhythm at half to full power for 3:15? This song is about 4:40sec long. If you told someone to start punching the bag, and NOT stop for 3:15 or 4:40 - most couldn't do it. They'd fade out about 2:30 or 3min. Very little creative needed to just blast for 3min on a speed bag. That is the hidden beauty of punch drumming. You get so caught up in the groove you forget you're "working out" and just jam on. Follow the path and you'll end up punching to a whole mix of songs for over 15-20 minutes non-stop. try doing that without music.
              Speed Bag

              Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

              THE 10th Year Reunion!

              sigpic

              The Art of the Bag

              Comment


              • #8
                how good are you going Dee.amazing.and it always looks good.keep the vids
                rolling in.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This Crazy Little Thing Called A Speed Bag

                  Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Yeah, I was joking about "Did you do that on purpose....". Once you can control a speed bag fairly well it is almost impossible to do helicopters on purpose, OR break it off while hitting the bag. Once it starts, it just keep going no matter how many times I hit it. For me it almost demands a complete stop and restart. You can normally repair or fix an errant rebound with the next punch or two, but once the bags gone horizontal and the 'copter takes off, you have to land it and start over.



                  HA!! so, you ran out of steam at 3:15!?? Do you know most people can't hold a steady bag rhythm at half to full power for 3:15? This song is about 4:40sec long. If you told someone to start punching the bag, and NOT stop for 3:15 or 4:40 - most couldn't do it. They'd fade out about 2:30 or 3min. Very little creative needed to just blast for 3min on a speed bag. That is the hidden beauty of punch drumming. You get so caught up in the groove you forget you're "working out" and just jam on. Follow the path and you'll end up punching to a whole mix of songs for over 15-20 minutes non-stop. try doing that without music.
                  When I first began hitting the bag a year ago, I didn't listen to music during my workout. But, once I built up more stamina and started punching for longer periods of time, I found that listening to music kept me going. I will rarely stop punching in the middle of a song. Once it starts, I'm punching till the last beat of the song is played. When it's done, I stop long enough to take a drink or pet the dogs or the kitty – my biggest fans – then I'm on to the next song in my Playlist.

                  I'm surprising myself with a sudden interest in music that wasn't on my ipod before I started hitting the bag. I just downloaded two Aerosmith songs along with Steppenwolf and Foghat (! moi? ) I even downloaded a song by a group I've never heard of, after watching one of Metaldad's latest videos – KYUSS. Heck, I don't even know how to pronounce the name...! Okay, so granted, they are the commercial hits by these groups, but, still, I was never compelled in the past to purchase their music...hearing it on the radio every once in a while was good enough for me before. But, this speed bag thing just keeps expanding my interests in all sorts of ways.

                  I think I'm in a transition period. For the past several weeks, I felt like there was "something wrong" with the platform...that maybe the weight on top had shifted and it was causing me to mis-hit.

                  Well, after I posted "Gimme Shelter" spdyTommyT's comment on YouTube. He said, "...Your speed is really picking up." It finally dawned on me that I was indeed picking up the pace in my workouts, hence more mis-hits (helicopters and such ). I know I'll never have the speed and power that most of my fellow baggers have, but, I do like to push myself to the limit.

                  And, yes, Alan, I am air punching all the time now when I hear music. It's crazy. But, I love it!!!
                  sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                  I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by deano View Post
                    how good are you going Dee.amazing.and it always looks good.keep the vids
                    rolling in.
                    Hey Deano – Thanks! always nice to hear from you. I'm really enjoying hitting on the bag with the small repertoire of punches that I have learned so far... but I still need to learn a few more. And, thanks to Alan's suggestions to me earlier, I have some "homework assignments" of some new variations.

                    I've started practicing your style of side punching. Not making much progress, but I managed to sneak it in a recent video I just posted on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6CYlp_v980). At 3:40 I make a feeble attempt at it. . Yeah. pretty bad... But, I will continue to practice and maybe by next year, I'll have it down pat! (HA! Yeah, right, Dee. ) I liken your style to driving a car with the steering wheel on the opposite side of what I'm used to. Just takes a little altering of the mind-set, that's all.
                    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                      I know I seem to be hogging this (Hitting to Music) Topic of late. But, I seem to continue to bubble out all this passion and need to punch drum.
                      Hog away to your heart's content Dee. That's what it is here for. The fact is most people can't punch drum (yet) so you're in rare company. Hopefully we see more punch drumming over time.

                      Great video

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        Hog away to your heart's content Dee. That's what it is here for...
                        Oh-kaay... Oink oink.

                        I uploaded this one yesterday. I wanted to have something personal to reflect upon on yesterday's date – besides your birthday, Tim!

                        This is Pablo Cruise, from the 70s. This is what I was listening to instead of "classic rock."




                        Get ready for Hall and Oates next week...
                        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                          Sorry. I couldn't help myself ... I love this song. So rhythmic. It's funny. I didn't listen to the Stones as a teenager. Heard this on the radio and had to buy it. I'm a terrible impulse buyer when it comes to buying music on iTunes.

                          I wonder if YouTube will yank the music since it's the Stones. I usually try to play to music that's a little more obscure...

                          Great stuff Dee! You def hear the beat! You have put some serious time under the board... it is really paying off!
                          "DON'T DRAG ON... BAG ON!!!'

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                            Great stuff Dee! You def hear the beat! You have put some serious time under the board... it is really paying off!
                            "DON'T DRAG ON... BAG ON!!!'
                            Thanks, spins! It means a lot to me when I hear from you and Alan, as well as the other punch drummers. As for hearing the beat, it seems to have come together for me after SpeedBAG 2010, for some reason. I came home from NJ so pumped and psyched! It just simply "clicked" for me. And the daily punching (well nearly every day this past year) has indeed finally paid off. I continue to push myself, too. It's so rewarding for me. Thanks again for the great comments!

                            My latest challenge was punching to "Slow Ride" by Foghat. Unfortunately, YouTube yanked the audio, so I took it down altogether. I uploaded it to my FB page, if anyone is interested in viewing it. I was a little tired when I started the camera rolling, and it took a few seconds to decide how I was going to punch to it, but I managed to keep up with it for most of the song. I downloaded the original LP version of the song, which is over 8 minutes long – WHEW! But, "Trainer Raul" says pushing myself every so often is a good thing.

                            I also learned a few things about Foghat. (I love Wikipedia). Like I didn't realize that they're a British group. And that one of the members was in Savoy Brown... my older brother had their music in his LP collection.


                            LIVE TO BAG!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Last edited by MsDeville; 09-18-2010, 11:12 PM. Reason: Added a comment.
                            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Nice to see you're still putting out your punch-drumming vids. Great job as usual. Always nice to watch.

                              I noticed that there's a NOrthern VirginiA speedbagger whose looking to give you some competition!
                              Last edited by Biff; 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X