X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by paranday View Post
    Bump. You need to give us an update on this swivel !
    That swivel has not been moved off the shelf since my last posting.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    Bump. You need to give us an update on this swivel !

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    Hey Paranday...

That swivel is still sitting on a shelf in closet. I never did anything too it yet. Have not tried to clean it or do anything to the finish for I don't want to damage it by amateur cleaning methods, which destroy more antiques than restore them. I seriously doubt the housing will screw off the base IF it is two pieces. The swivel ball housing almost looks like it is part of the board base, I don't see any sign of separation between them, unless it is seriously rusted shut. Right now the ball section is out of the housing and the Width of the "S" won't easily go back through the bottom of the housing.

The opening on the "S" hook is so small even my most modest bag straps will need to be forced through the gap.

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Just got this swivel in and either it is a one piece base and housing, or it is so rusted and frozen the housing won't turn. It really looks like a one piece. Feels like a tank, with a big ball that sticks way out of the housing There is no shank exposed out of the ball so the eye-hook hits the housing. The eye that holds the "s" hook (very small narrow S) can hit on the side or flat part of the well housing.

pics to follow when I get a chance. may need to try and de-rust the "iron".

Speedbag, what became of this swivel ? Have you bagged with it ?

Hey Paranday...

That swivel is still sitting on a shelf in closet. I never did anything too it yet. Have not tried to clean it or do anything to the finish for I don't want to damage it by amateur cleaning methods, which destroy more antiques than restore them. I seriously doubt the housing will screw off the base IF it is two pieces. The swivel ball housing almost looks like it is part of the board base, I don't see any sign of separation between them, unless it is seriously rusted shut. Right now the ball section is out of the housing and the Width of the "S" won't easily go back through the bottom of the housing.

The opening on the "S" hook is so small even my most modest bag straps will need to be forced through the gap.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 03-21-2015, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    Speedbag, what became of this swivel ? Have you bagged with it ?

Leave a comment:

• spdyTommyT
    replied
    Maybe I should send it to you for your own inspection. Not a problem.
    It would be an honor.

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
    They use baking soda instead of sand for blasting. Whatever gets the job done. Not sure what would be best. What would you just keep it oiled so it doesn't rust again or have it coated with something?
    Maybe I should send it to you for your own inspection. Not a problem.

Leave a comment:

• spdyTommyT
    replied
    NO I did not. Soda Blasting?? you talking taking a big swing of Coke and blowing it out on it??

Back in the day my step dad would have chunked this into a coffee can full of "old time coke", from the green bottles, and leave it in for a few days. It cleaned rusty nuts and bolts pretty well.
    They use baking soda instead of sand for blasting. Whatever gets the job done. Not sure what would be best. What would you just keep it oiled so it doesn't rust again or have it coated with something?

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
    Wow, someone was neglectful! Alan did you ever get this on a platform? Maybe some soda blasting first??
    NO I did not. Soda Blasting?? you talking taking a big swing of Coke and blowing it out on it??

Back in the day my step dad would have chunked this into a coffee can full of "old time coke", from the green bottles, and leave it in for a few days. It cleaned rusty nuts and bolts pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• spdyTommyT
    replied
    Wow, someone was neglectful! Alan did you ever get this on a platform? Maybe some soda blasting first??

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Just got this swivel in and either it is a one piece base and housing, or it is so rusted and frozen the housing won't turn. It really looks like a one piece. Feels like a tank, with a big ball that sticks way out of the housing There is no shank exposed out of the ball so the eye-hook hits the housing. The eye that holds the "s" hook (very small narrow S) can hit on the side or flat part of the well housing.

pics to follow when I get a chance. may need to try and de-rust the "iron".

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Historic preservation ! Bag on !
    Really, I have never seen the "Everlast" brand engraved around the Base of the swivel, and again around the ball housing. That is what struck me about it, and the fact that it was in such good condition to read it all.

Anyway, I'm hoping it will arrive later this week and we'll get a better look at it. I'll post a few pics with others for comparison.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    Historic preservation ! Bag on !

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    You won ?

It cost more than I would normally considering offering for something like that but it struck me as pretty unique, unlike any other everlast ball hook I've ever seen. An unusually deep housing for the ball and inscriptions, along with the half ball contruction like the nichols and benlee. And it all seems to be in very good condition.

It may also get used. I don't put any of my "antique" swivels on a board and try them, but this may be the exception.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    But it's an interesting swivel, for sure. might like to set next to a Benlee or Nichols. ?

Let's play....
    You won ?

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    It appears from looking at the pics of the bottom that it had a finish at one time. I'd say that it spent a lot of time outdoors or was in a very damp or humid location.
    No joke! Back in the day when my step dad was still farming, he would have taken this swivel, cleaned it off with a rag a bit and placed it in his "rusty bolt" can filled with Coca Cola. That wasn't todays cola.

We had an old timey coke machine that held the little green bottles of Coke, and he got it by the case. He'd open two or three and pour it in a can occasionally for just this reason.

He said the rust made the coke taste better and mixed better with a splash of kentucky bourbon. He was tough, I tell ya!

But it's an interesting swivel, for sure. might like to set next to a Benlee or Nichols. ?

Let's play....

Leave a comment:

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...