Anyone Know what type of platform this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

The letters on the casting, NGECO seem too close to NarraGansett Equipment COmpany to be a coincidence. I find no reference to the company ever being called that, but in ads they refer to the high quality of Narragansett Equipment. Seems like a short cut that some foundry took, maybe after the Everlast takeover?

I just snagged a 1945 Narragansett Physical Fitness Equipment catalog, when it arrives I'll see if it has your platform and pass along any good info.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
      btw hey zaza do you think you could post up some close up photos of your platform here so i can drool at it :-) ...ralph
      Did you see these?
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Here is the 1945 Narragansett Machine Company catalog page for speed bag equipment. The quality of the photos in this catalog is not very good, but to me it looks like your platform.

Interesting catalog. The company was 76 years old at this point, little did they know they would be bought out and slam dunked into oblivion not much further on down the road.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Johnny O
          • Apr 2011

Paranday, thanks for your help.

My platform is absolutely this design. There are really only two differences that I see: My drum is about 1” thick with thicker support pieces of wood above. It looks like even in this 1945 model, Narragansett was still putting their decorative logo in the circular opening in the center of the platform. My platform has the circular opening but no logo. I am thinking that my platform is either right before they sold to Everlast or sometime shortly after (most likely the later). It would be interesting to see a Narragansett catalog from the mid 60s and an Everlast catalog from the late 60s and early 70s. Anyone know where I could find these?

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Dutchman, do you have any of the catalog pages that Johnny O mentions that could be scanned and posted? Seems to me these catalogs are very hard to find.

Here's a 1932 catalog for sale titled,

The World Over It's Everlast for Boxing Equipment: General Catalog No. 30.

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

I'm afraid that I don't have anything that goes back that far. I once had a lead on a sporting goods store that had been in business in one location for forty years back in the mid 1970's. By the time I actually got there they had moved to a new location and forty years worth of paper had wound up in the dumpster

Comment

• Bag Man
                • Jan 2011

NMW, which is the catalogue in the post above, was pretty much out of business by the early-mid 1950s. The same folks who owned Everlast bought them and they became Narragansett Gym Equipment and replaced the stylized NMW logo with a stylized NGE logo. The logo was then dropped altogether when they marketed as Everlast. At least this is what I have pieced together from the corporate documents on the Missouri Department of State website and a few logic leaps. May be off a year or two hear or there.

Bag Man
                "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Johnny O
                  • Apr 2011

Bag Man,

From the research I have done, I think you are right on the money. I would still like to get ahold of a NGE catalog from the early 60s. My platform is all cleaned up and ready to go. just waiting for renovations at the MMA gym where it will hang. I will post some photos when it is back in action.

Comment

• Bag Man
                    • Jan 2011

I for one have never seen a NGE catalogue.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Bag Man
                    "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...