Anyone Know what type of platform this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny O
    • Apr 2011

Anyone Know what type of platform this is?

I was thinking about buying this platform. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks,
    Johnny O
    Attached Files
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

First I would say, if there are no major flaws, buy it ! This thing weighs over 300Lbs if I recall, it ought to be really steady.

These used to appear in the Everlast catalog through the 1990s. Not sure whose design it originally was, maybe Dutchman will inform us. But it looks like it was modeled after the heavyweight Narragansett vintage model. Everlast bought Narragansett Machine, maybe in the 1960s.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Yes it bears a resemblence to the old Narrangansett Machine platforms, as well as the later Medart ones. I'd say that it's an Everlast, but it could be a late model Medart. My money is on it being an Everlast, tho.
      Once NMCo folded the designs were more or less up for grabs (any patents that covered them were expired by that time). You will notice that there are a number of "pro" platforms that use this setup out there now, including some newer entries into the field.

Comment

• Johnny O
        • Apr 2011

Got it!

Ok I purchased this thing… The gentleman I bought it from was a plumbing contractor doing work in an exclusive home in the Main Line section of Philly about twenty years ago. He inquired about the speed bag platform and the home owner gave it to him. The platform remained in his shop since then as shown in the photo and was rarely used. The only identifying marks on the platform are “ NGECO S 2618”. This is definitely the Narrangansett design but weather this one was made by Everlast or someone else I am not sure at this point. It is in very good shape … moves up and down very smoothly and weighs a ton! The one down side is the drum itself; it’s 36” (great) but only about 1” thick with additional thicker wood above. You can kind of see this in the photo. It’s a shame it doesn’t have one of those thick pro drums, oh well. It had a metal Everlast ball hook swivel (model 4440) on it. It’s also a shame Ryan had to stop making his swivels because I would love to put a Powermill on this (Ryan, put me on a waiting list). I paid $300.00 for this, which I think was a good price. My plan is to clean it up and hang it in my good friends BJJ School. I will take some pictures when it is hung. If anyone has any more information about this type of platform I would love to hear it. Thanks to Paranday and Dutchman for their help.
        Johnny O

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

"I paid $300.00 for this, which I think was a good price."
          That's a phenomenal price. Can't wait to see the photos after it is mounted.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Johnny O View Post
            Ok I purchased this thing… The gentleman I bought it from was a plumbing contractor doing work in an exclusive home in the Main Line section of Philly about twenty years ago. He inquired about the speed bag platform and the home owner gave it to him. The platform remained in his shop since then as shown in the photo and was rarely used. The only identifying marks on the platform are “ NGECO S 2618”. This is definitely the Narrangansett design but weather this one was made by Everlast or someone else I am not sure at this point. It is in very good shape … moves up and down very smoothly and weighs a ton! The one down side is the drum itself; it’s 36” (great) but only about 1” thick with additional thicker wood above. You can kind of see this in the photo. It’s a shame it doesn’t have one of those thick pro drums, oh well. It had a metal Everlast ball hook swivel (model 4440) on it. It’s also a shame Ryan had to stop making his swivels because I would love to put a Powermill on this (Ryan, put me on a waiting list). I paid $300.00 for this, which I think was a good price. My plan is to clean it up and hang it in my good friends BJJ School. I will take some pictures when it is hung. If anyone has any more information about this type of platform I would love to hear it. Thanks to Paranday and Dutchman for their help.
            Johnny O
            Awesome beast of a bag set up! Lots of history there. That should clean up very nicely! Reminds me of the units I learned on at Memphis State University.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Johnny O
              • Apr 2011

This thing is soild enough that with a little luck it's history will go on for a little while longer...

Thanks Alan!

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

I love my 'find'! It's great to see this stuff still kickin'

Mine's a little older & manual height adjust...but damn, it is the original platform & still solid as a rock. Please post some video of it in action when you can...
                Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Johnny O
                  • Apr 2011

Zaza,
                  I followed the restoration of your vintage platform with your original posts. It turned out great! If my platform turns out half as good as the one you restored then I will be happy. I will post some photos when I get the platform hung. Maybe I will break down and send in a video of the old man tuning it up (maybe).

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Johnny O View Post
                    Zaza,
                    I followed the restoration of your vintage platform with your original posts. It turned out great! If my platform turns out half as good as the one you restored then I will be happy. I will post some photos when I get the platform hung. Maybe I will break down and send in a video of the old man tuning it up (maybe).
                    I hope you do (from one old man to another)... I love to see this beauties in action!

Note... make sure you have plenty of help when you hang this baby, I almost killed myself getting mine on the wall.
                    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

You can see your platform in the Catalogue of Gymnastic Apparatus By Narragansett Machine Company (Providence, R.I.) Copyright 1916.

The 1994 Everlast version can be found in this post, scroll down to #3

`

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Johnny O, it could very well be a NMCo platform. It should have the initials cast into the center of the platform frame itself. Medart put their logo there on their version.

Comment

• jimcaher
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          Awesome beast of a bag set up! Lots of history there. That should clean up very nicely! Reminds me of the units I learned on at Memphis State University.
                          Yup. Seems like just a few years ago at MSU. Clear picture in my mind. Two Universals, green rubber floor and a speedbag platform at either side of the room opposite the mirrored wall. One with a crank, the other you had to push up manually. I think that it was the latter that you "fixed" with wooden matchsticks.

Jim Caher

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jimcaher View Post
                            Yup. Seems like just a few years ago at MSU. Clear picture in my mind. Two Universals, green rubber floor and a speedbag platform at either side of the room opposite the mirrored wall. One with a crank, the other you had to push up manually. I think that it was the latter that you "fixed" with wooden matchsticks.
                            Jim Caher
                            HA!! Yes, constantly fixing the swivel holes with match sticks. Do you remember when Bill (Superfoot) Wallace was teaching Karate in the mat room next door, and would come in an "tell us" to knock it off, we were disturbing his class... ( but he did ask nicely, while his foot tickled my face. They really smelled too, but I didn't tell him). I think that was during the time that him and Doc were writing their book together.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Johnny O
                              • Apr 2011

Photos of clean up

I wanted to post some photos while I was cleaning it up. I am still trying to pin down the manufacturer and the approximate year. I know it is the Narragansett design but it does not have the decorative Narragansett Machine Company logo in the center. I know Everlast purchased Narragansett in 1966 so it could be made by Everlast but it is definitely different then what they show in their 1994 catalog. If anyone has some information I would love to hear it.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	88010

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	88011

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	88012

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	88013

Name:	IMG_0563.jpg
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	88014

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	88015

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	88016

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...