• Show
Clear All

• spdyTommyT
    replied
    Oh No!!!!

Leave a comment:

• JoMan2
    replied
    Did anyone ever pick up the 2 NGE's & The Medart 1912 from this gentleman?

If not, they unfortunately they might have been lost to fire when their boxing gym burned down in August 2019.

Leave a comment:

• saulsbury
    replied
    medart 1255 1912 punching assparatus

Anyone interested in a Medart 1255-- 1912 (year) assparatus?

Leave a comment:

• novaspeedbagger
    replied
    Thanks for posting these pics Denise and thanks for providing the photos Fred!

Leave a comment:

• MsDeville
    replied
    Swivels

I offered to upload these photos for Fred. This is the information Fred provided in the email:

Left to right;
    Nichols, Patented June 12 1900
    Whitely
    Moosehead-Whitely Exerciser Co. NY

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nicols_Whitely_Moosehead-Whitely.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	87963

Click image for larger version

Name:	Swivels.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	87964

Leave a comment:

• novaspeedbagger
    replied
    Originally posted by Grand Ave. Gym View Post
    Today I took a trip to the basement and found what I was looking for,
    The old swivels I saved for some reason or another..There are 3 and all
    in an old tin cigar box.. All are the ball bearing type.. One is a Whitley,
    Hakensack, N.J, that looks to be from the 30's or 40's with 4 mounting holes.. One is a Moosehead-Whitley, Exerciser Co. NY, that looks to be early last
    century, has 3 mounting holes.. The last is a Nichols No. 309, patented June 12,1900, has 3 mounting holes..These last two have an attractive filligre around the mounting boss.But they are both different..One of these last two, and I don't remember which, had some historical significance but its lost in
    the smoke and cloud of passing time to me right now..And so what do I do
    with them ? Put them up for offers or what ? Please advise..
    Fredy Ryan
    grandavenuegym@aol.com

Welcome to the forum Fred! I too would appreciate seeing some pictures of this vintage equipment. Speed bagging is an activity that truly invites all people to give it a try. I am not a boxer, but have always viewed boxers as being the top of the class, in terms of fitness level and conditioning.

I can't wait to some photos of the gym and equipment. Would it be possible for you to post some sparring/training photos of boxers in the gym as well?

Leave a comment:

• MsDeville
    replied
    Originally posted by Grand Ave. Gym View Post
    Hakensack, N.J, that looks to be from the 30's or 40's with 4 mounting holes.. One is a Moosehead-Whitley, Exerciser Co. NY, that looks to be early last
    century, has 3 mounting holes.. The last is a Nichols No. 309, patented June 12,1900, has 3 mounting holes..These last two have an attractive filligre around the mounting boss.But they are both different..One of these last two, and I don't remember which, had some historical significance but its lost in
    Fredy Ryan
    grandavenuegym@aol.com
    Sounds like some pretty cool "treasures." I'm very interested in making an offer on one of those swivels...

I guess Trainer Raul and I will need to plan a trip down to Portland for sure!

Leave a comment:

• Zaza
    replied
    I'd love to get one of those 3-mounting hole swivels to finish off this restoration:

It originally came with a Spalding No.5 swivel...you wouldn't happen to have one of those in an old tin box?

...and welcome to the forum!

Leave a comment:

• Grand Ave. Gym
    replied
    Found My old Swivels

Fredy Ryan
    grandavenuegym@aol.com

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mitts
    replied
    Wow, sounds amazing! Interesting post.

Would love to see pictures too, or hear your experiences of the speedbag exhibitions.

Leave a comment:

• ExEODCDR
    replied
    Yes! What everyone else said!

Leave a comment:

• MsDeville
    replied
    Welcome 'geezer' !

Welcome to the forum, Fred!

YES, by all means, please post some photos! We would love to see them!

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Yep, I'd sure like to see pics of that equipment and a video of their demo's.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    Wow, would love to see your photos.

Leave a comment:

• Grand Ave. Gym
    started a topic A collection of platforms

A collection of platforms

I guess I am an old geezer but wished and wanted to post at least once..
    I have trouble navigating this site and it took a long time to log in;
    passwords, blah-blah..I've been running the Grand Avenue Boxing Gym
    in Portland since 1990 (Est.1949). I have been involved with the sport for near 3 times as long..We have 3 of the old time platforms, two of them NGE and one a Medart No.1255 from 1912.. Only one is in use now and I am re-installing the Medart with an original old Whitley ball bearing swivel I've had for years in the original box..I have some older swivels around as those old ball bearing swivels went out of favor years ago..But I saved em, some from the 20's.We have always cut a piece of PVC to fit on the platform as it gives three times the wear to speed bags plus much better rebound.. And yes, I've seen some great artists at the speed bags, seen floor mounted bags to work with the feet and impromtu exhibitions where the hat was passed to show appreciation... If I get better at this I will post some photos in the future..
    Fred grandavenuegym@aol.com
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...