Roberts 412 Vintage bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberts 412 Vintage bag

Just wanted to post this bag for history sake, this bag came with a swivel I wanted and I could tell by the pictures that the Roberts bag had dried out leather, that's to bad because I wanted to try this bag out to see how it hits.
    Attached Files

Nice looking bag, too bad it's too far gone to do anything with. Rocky Graziano had an endorsement deal with Roberts, but as I recall it was after he retired,

Comment

I picked up a reach bag for cheap awhile back that was passed the point of no return. From what I've seen they don' show up for sale often so I went for it. The surface peeled when i tried to apply leather conditioner so I put some leather conditioner into my airbrush gun and sprayed it down. The outer surface is still shedding but the layer beneath feels sturdier and seems to be holding up somewhat. I use the airbrush to treat all of my bags now. It's much more affective at getting into the seems and really gets into all the nooks and crannies of the grain. There are aerosol leather conditioners available but I was working with what I had. If you have a compressor I would recommend trying it out. You can pick up a airbrush gun for cheap. I have had one for over a year now from harbor freight that was 10 bucks and t is still working. You will need a leather treatment with a less pasty consistency to airbrush it or add a VERY tiny bit of water to it.
      p.s. A reach bag showed up 2 weeks later but in a rare, and dumb, occurrence of restraint I didn't buy it. Oh well, got something out of i.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Nice looking bag, too bad it's too far gone to do anything with. Rocky Graziano had an endorsement deal with Roberts, but as I recall it was after he retired,
        Was Barbella endorsed by them as well or did you mean Marciano? I've seen the Marciano bags pop up every so often.

Comment

Yeah it's Marciano, I tend to get the two mixed up for some reason.

Comment

The real old vintage bags use a heavy high quality cotton weave lining so even if the leather starts to fall apart you can definitely still bag on them LoL, I use both an oil and paste leather conditioner on my bags, I usually pour the oil leather conditioner on first then use the paste conditioner after that, Yap I got an air compressor, I've always had one since I like working on cars, I still have my binks # 7 spray gun, I sprayed a boat with it, even did a freehand design on the boat, I can't work on cars to much anymore because of my physical condition, I'll probably throw a bladder in the Roberts bag just to see how it hits but I don't think i'm gonna hit it with leather conditioner because it's to far gone, The bag actually came with an old everlast new york swivel that I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              Yeah it's Marciano, I tend to get the two mixed up for some reason.
              Easy mistake, both HARD hitting champs named Rocco haha

Comment

Originally posted by ventanakaz View Post
                The real old vintage bags use a heavy high quality cotton weave lining so even if the leather starts to fall apart you can definitely still bag on them LoL, I use both an oil and paste leather conditioner on my bags, I usually pour the oil leather conditioner on first then use the paste conditioner after that, Yap I got an air compressor, I've always had one since I like working on cars, I still have my binks # 7 spray gun, I sprayed a boat with it, even did a freehand design on the boat, I can't work on cars to much anymore because of my physical condition, I'll probably throw a bladder in the Roberts bag just to see how it hits but I don't think i'm gonna hit it with leather conditioner because it's to far gone, The bag actually came with an old everlast new york swivel that I wanted.
                Cool, it's the cotton weave then. Good to know. Jackpot on the New York swivel

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

Cool, it's the cotton weave then. Good to know. Jackpot on the New York swivel
                  I'm gonna post pictures of the four Everlast New York swivels I have after I get a bag that I bought off ebay AGAIN I didn't notice until after the purchase of the bag that the swivel that it's coming with it is an old Everlast New York chainlink swivel, Don't know what I'm gonna do with the swivel until I get it, I don't like the chainlink or u-bolt swivels even though I hit on a everlast chainlink for probably fifteen years, lol

Comment

So I finally put a bladder in the Roberts Striking bag, the original Butyl bladder didn't hold air and like 99 percent of the Vintage bags that I have and or had, it leaked from the air value, I was kinda surprised that the Roberts bag takes more muscle to move than the Spaulding 73-312 that i just got, between the two, The Spaulding bag is more fun to hit.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...
                    X