Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melvine
    replied
    No need of any harder workouts for losing weight ..Now you can lose weight just by using best weight lose pills daily with recommended diet and exercise.

Leave a comment:

• Melvine
    replied
    No need of any harder workouts for losing weight ..Now you can lose weight just by using Best Weight Loss Pills daily with recommended diet and exercise.

Leave a comment:

• th65
    replied
    I use them once a week when I run. That way I can get a harder workout. By only using hem once a week you body does not get used to them. I also very the weight of the weights to keep my body guessing. I find it is a good way to mix up your workout.

Leave a comment:

• Monkeyboxer15
    replied
    The ankle weights also stretch the tendons and ligaments in the legs.

Leave a comment:

• jaguiler
    replied
    I know that running with ankle weights will really screw up your running stride.. as mentioned before they are best for lifting as in leg lifts...

Leave a comment:

• Roscoe
    replied
    Ankle Weight Advice

Ankle weights are good for abdominal exercises, i.e. leg lifts while laying on your back.

They should not be used where timing is an issue such as boxing (as in dancing). Your muscle memory will adapt to the extra weight, you will be stronger but once you remove that extra weight your upper and lower body will no longer be synchronized. I know this for a fact; while in high school I was invited to the Jr Olympics as a discus thrower, I thought to myself (because at that age I knew everything) If I used a heavier discus in training...it would make sense that the regulation sized discus would fly out of the stadium
    What actually happened was that I screwed my footwork up because I had to slow down to handle the extra weight of the heavier discus....come day of the competiton, it was me who went flying out of the ring and thus disqualifying myself.

I should have been working on my timing and execution (footwork & release) with a regulation sized discus.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 07-26-2007, 06:35 PM. Reason: add information

Leave a comment:

• ashe
    replied
    Originally posted by sed26 View Post
    Thanks for your input guys. Now that leaves me with one question. Is there a good purpose for ankle weights or are they pretty much useless.
    there's a place for them with certain types of exercises (like probodx, or physical theraphy type exercises).

i certainly wouldn't use them for kicking or running or the like though.

Leave a comment:

• sed26
    replied
    Thanks for your input guys. Now that leaves me with one question. Is there a good purpose for ankle weights or are they pretty much useless.

Leave a comment:

• ashe
    replied
    Originally posted by sed26 View Post
    Could someone possibly tell me why a lot of people don't reccommend using ankle weights? They say they'll mess up your legs or something. I know their not suppose to be used for long periods of timebut I was thinkin maybe for a short exercise session to strengthen your legs. But more importantly, when and in what way is best to use ankle weights?
    S.A.I.D.

specific adaptation to imposed demand. the body becomes it's function. if you do a lot of running with ankle weights on, your body will adapt to THAT and your running without the weights will actually be hindered.

it's why you really shouldn't do a lot of punching with dumbells or say throw a shot that's much heavier than the one you use in competition. occasionally to mix up your routine is fine, but as a regular thing is just a bad idea because it will impair your performance.

it's also why you want to mix up your routine as much as possible. click here for video.
    Last edited by ashe; 07-25-2007, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kyle
    replied
    im with ya on that one Chris i have had several sprains some bad some not too bad but i think ancle weights wud also increase the likelyhood of that happening. the pain is bad but the worst is jus sitting there not being able to anything wen u want to stay active.
    ________
    Laguna Bay Condo Pattaya
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris M
    replied
    I couldn't say for sure, these are just my guesses, but I can possibly see an increased chance of turning your ankle while wearing those things.

I've had severe sprains (not wearing weights) on my ankles several times and those injuries rank up there with some of the most pain I've ever had. On top of that it takes several weeks for them to heal. That is enough reason for me to avoid using them. If I need more exercise in my legs, I'll work more in the weight room or run more depending on my desired results.

Leave a comment:

• sed26
    started a topic Ankle Weights

Ankle Weights

Could someone possibly tell me why a lot of people don't reccommend using ankle weights? They say they'll mess up your legs or something. I know their not suppose to be used for long periods of timebut I was thinkin maybe for a short exercise session to strengthen your legs. But more importantly, when and in what way is best to use ankle weights?
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...