X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StevieMac
    • Oct 2010

Balazs I-Box modifications and installation

I got my I-Box installed on Saturday but first I had to do a few modifications. Not that there’s anything wrong with the I-Box to begin with but I tend to modify just about everything anyways

First of all I followed the advice of Aad03 and turned the swivel 45-degrees so I could drill mounting holes straight through the drum and steel backing plate without any conflicts with the square tubing that support the drum itself. Aad03 has detailed instructions on how that’s done in this thread: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...=balazs&page=2

Chris M Suggested that he thought using a mouse pad or something similar to take up the space between the mounting arms and the drum in the rear. You can see his comments here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ighlight=mouse
    That seemed like a good idea. It certainly couldn’t hurt and I had some 1/8” thick rubber matting so I used two layers of that to take up the space.

So the drum was now extremely well supported directly under the mounting plate and towards the back but the front of the board is not supported and I suspected would be subject to quite a bit of vibration. The steel plate the drum bolts to is 3/16" thick and I had a small piece of 3/16” plate laying around so I decided to weld that to the front of the existing mounting plate. It would have been even better if I had a larger piece of steel but I made do with what I had on hand.

The heat from welding caused the front of the plate I added to not sit completely flush with the drum so I shimmed it with some more of the 1/8” rubber matting and bolted the plate to the drum. This definitely reduced vibration at the front of the drum. I’ll likely add a thicker hardwood drum at some point but the current level of vibration is now acceptable to me.

I decided to use 2x6s behind the wall mounts to hopefully make everything a little more solid, protect the wall to some extent and to move the platform out from the wall a bit. I used more of the 1/8” mat behind the 2x6s simply because I had it.

The flash makes the paint on the wall look awful but I swear it’s not that bad. It is in the garage though!

Anyway, that’s the new setup and I’m really happy with it. That doesn’t mean there won’t be future mods but so far, so good!

I’ll try to get another video posted this weekend.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by StevieMac; 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM.
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Damn you did a great job! Very Very nice setup! I see you take pride in your stuff and you like things done right. Only one problem with that whole setup. Instead of it being in your garage you should set it up in your dining room or something! LOL.

Bag on!
    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• StevieMac
      • Oct 2010

Thanks JC. My garage is a pretty cool place to hang out though. Much better than any dining room.

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I recognize the guy in the photo on the right hoisting the weight, but who's in the photo to the left???

Great job, SM.

Comment

• StevieMac
          • Oct 2010

For those that don’t recognize the guy on the right that’s Doug Hepburn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Hepburn

I used to buy protein powder from Doug years ago and I got to know him a little bit the last few years of his life. He was quite a character!

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Originally posted by StevieMac View Post
            Thanks JC. My garage is a pretty cool place to hang out though. Much better than any dining room.
            yea i hear ya. I like my basement more than anywhere else in the house. lol
            evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Aug 2010

Great Job on the mods and mounting! Thanks for suppling the details, I always like to learn how other people are doing things and making improvements! Keep on baggin and postin!
              Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• StevieMac
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
                Great Job on the mods and mounting! Thanks for suppling the details, I always like to learn how other people are doing things and making improvements! Keep on baggin and postin!
                Thanks novaspeedbagger. I've learned so much from other people taking the time to post on internet forums that I try to do my part and pay it forward.

Comment

• TheAsianBagger
                  • Sep 2010

very very nice

your set up makes me veryy jealous lol
                  bvest of luck to your new set up, hope it treats you well

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                    I recognize the guy in the photo on the right hoisting the weight, but who's in the photo to the left???

Great job, SM.
                    I think the guy on the left is Richard Simmons. Am i close?
                    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• StevieMac
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by TheAsianBagger View Post
                      your set up makes me veryy jealous lol
                      bvest of luck to your new set up, hope it treats you well
                      It's treating me just great thanks. I'm really liking the small Title bag as well.

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by StevieMac View Post
                        I’ll try to get another video posted this weekend.
                        Cool! Thanks for sharing. Those tips will help someone else no doubt. Can't wait to see that platform in action, if it wasn't rock solid before, it'll be solid now!

Comment

• StevieMac
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          Cool! Thanks for sharing. Those tips will help someone else no doubt. Can't wait to see that platform in action, if it wasn't rock solid before, it'll be solid now!
                          No worries Tim. This is a fantastic online community because of the great people that participate and share their knowledge and experience with everyone. I'm just doing my little part

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Very Cool Stevie! Looks solid as a rock too. Awesome job!
                            T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Solid job, I'm sure you'd get an endorsement from both gentlemen in the photos. Now it would be funny if the whole wall would fall down. I would sue Acme and suspect the Road Runner if it does. Meep Meep, LOL, happy baggin.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...