X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snugglepuppy666
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2008

bet you money it came out of a foundry in New Milford CT..

LONG history of Iron work up to the turn of the 18th century..

im sure there is some history to the link above

fyi

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Okay, I think I've solved the mystery of the platform at the beginning of this thead. It looks like it's a product of the Narragansett Machine Co. of Providence RI. NMCo. built and sold complete gymasium packages starting from around the turn of the 19th Century. At this time I don't have a date as far as when they ceased production, but assume that at least through the 1920's, maybe part of the 30's. Judging from the fact that numrous examples of the gym equipment they made shows up on eBay (dumb bells Indian clubs, etc) the output must have been fairly extensive. While the platform in question I would say is fairly rare, it's not the first one that I've seen.
      I've found a PDF file of one of their catalgs dating from around 1906, or so. While their is little in the way of striking bag equipment in it the style of construction of the rest of the equipment leads me to believe that they are the ones responsible for this platform.

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

I've just located a PDF file of a 1916 NMCo. catalog on Google Books , and it has picture and description of this platform in it. If I can figure out how to post it I'll put it up, other wise I'll just post the whole file.

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Dutchman - Great find! I located the same .pdf file after you posted about it. Since it's over the 1.5 MB limit, it cannot be attached. I "chopped" the large .pdf and have attached a couple of pages of the original catalog. Anyone who wants the whole file can PM me and I'll send it to them.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Murph
            • Jan 2009

Nice! I'm Building a new set up 24'' x 48'' just like the Pipe Suspension Drum on page 3 from your attachment...I'm using 3/4'' black pipe & 3/4'' flanges
            to attach to rafters in my basement

this is the deck(drum) .... I'm gonna use 2 swivels one on each side.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              I've just located a PDF file of a 1916 NMCo. catalog on Google Books , and it has picture and description of this platform in it. If I can figure out how to post it I'll put it up, other wise I'll just post the whole file.

If you can send it to my gmail address I can upload it to the web site and circumvent the upload limits, I'll PM you my address.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                Here's the whole catalog in PDF format:

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Murph View Post
                  Nice! I'm Building a new set up 24'' x 48'' just like the Pipe Suspension Drum on page 3 from your attachment...I'm using 3/4'' black pipe & 3/4'' flanges
                  to attach to rafters in my basement

this is the deck(drum) .... I'm gonna use 2 swivels one on each side.
                  Cool, I definitely wanna see pics of that when you are done!

Comment

• Murph
                    • Jan 2009

Definitely!

Comment

• Kyle
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Cool, I definitely wanna see pics of that when you are done!
                      samesies
                      ________
                      Wiki vaporizer
                      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        I recently received and email from a gentleman wondering about his recently purchased "vintage" wall unit, and he was wondering if I knew any history of this brand, make or style.
                        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just purchased a speed bag platform that must be quite old. I wonder if you could possibly help me identify the manufacturer and approx. age? The construction is cast iron, with a maple platform. The height adjustment is made via a hand wheel at the bottom of the unit. The letters \"N M Co\" or \"M N Co\" are cast into the unit. The unit is massive and has to weigh over 250 lbs. The platform is about 4’ in thick.

any ideas?
                        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have been unable to find nothing about it, so maybe one of our historians knows something about the history of this. It is and unusual board contructed of numerous pieces of wood, and some ornate iron work on the brackets.
                        I was searching for a sturdy speedbag set-up and decided maybe to go old school. After I saw the price ($32,000.00), I changed my mind!!! But I think this is the one pictured above. Oh and shipping is an additional $400.00

"Narragansett machine co. Boxing speed bag drum This auction is for a Narragansett machine co. standard boxing speed bag drum, circa 1916. (extremely rare) it has a geared adjusting screw with a ball thrust bearing, having a height range of eighteen inches. Standard drum and face built of solid maple at three and a half inches thick. The caste iron bracket and frame is finished in baked japan finish. A TRUE CLASSIC"

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 12-17-2012, 07:48 PM.
                        -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Antny72 View Post
                          I was searching for a sturdy speedbag set-up and decided maybe to go old school. After I saw the price ($32,000.00), I changed my mind!!! But I think this is the one pictured above. Oh and shipping is an additional $400.00

"Narragansett machine co. Boxing speed bag drum This auction is for a Narragansett machine co. standard boxing speed bag drum, circa 1916. (extremely rare) it has a geared adjusting screw with a ball thrust bearing, having a height range of eighteen inches. Standard drum and face built of solid maple at three and a half inches thick. The caste iron bracket and frame is finished in baked japan finish. A TRUE CLASSIC"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Narragansett...item43b6b2cb64

US $2,126.00

I don't know about the unit, other than it's beautiful, but the duct taped bag is and interesting addition....

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

32K...Ha! I guess the $60.00 I spent on this one was a good....no GREAT deal.
                            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

And the current bid of $2,126.00 is probably no where near what the reserve is for this, even tho this is more than a fair amount for this platform. It will be interesting to see what the buy it now price will be when it will be relisted.

Comment

• Speedbag
                                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                                32K...Ha! I guess the $60.00 I spent on this one was a good....no GREAT deal.
                                http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...php?albumid=84
                                That was the buy of the Century for $60.00.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                                The Quest Continues...
                                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...