• Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Trying some elbows

Trying some outward single elbow strikes

Any feedback appreciated

I know I could stand to speed it up a bit. Besides that I guess the next logical move is to turn the single elbow into a double elbow strike?
    Last edited by Tim; 05-13-2006, 02:35 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Outward Elbow strikes.

Originally posted by Tim
    ...I know I could stand to speed it up a bit. Besides that I guess the next logical move is to turn the single elbow into a double elbow strike?
    Very nice! great timing. Don't worry about speed. It will come automatically. Yes, extend the fist slightly as the elbow hits and let the bag rebound into it after one, creating the Outward-Double Elbow. Remember, you will have several options afterward.
    (1) to Stay in Basic Rhythm, Follow the Outward-Double Elbow Strike (O-DES) with the Front Straight Punch (FSP) of the other hand after three rebounds.
    (2) you can re-circle the same fist of the O-DES back to a Front Circle Punch (FCP) after three rebounds.
    (3) Follow the (O-DES) with another (O-DES) of the Same arm [repetitive O-DES's] after three rebounds
    (4). After the fist hits in the (O-DES), pass it through the bag to Reverse Single Punch after two rebounds.
    (5) - actually follow the (O-DES) with any other technique you know how to do.

It is amazing how many options you have. EVERY new technique multiplies your possible combinations afterward by at least a factor of 6, and usually 18. That depends on how many techniques you can do (out of 24) .

You're looking and sounding Great. Keep up the practice.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedboy
      • Feb 2006

great elbows striking

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Thx for the feedback guys

I threw in an O-DES after the O-SES

More to come I think this is a good sequence to bring my elbows up to speed. The left definitely needs work
        Last edited by Tim; 05-16-2006, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Outward Double Elbow Strike

Hey Tim,

Your Outward Double Elbow Strike (O-DES) with both arms, makes great contact with good timing

You might want keep your elbow up a little more afterwards. Actually, it looks like your moving your arm from the shoulder in a more downward angle. Notice you elbow drops out the bottom of the screen, and as you switch arms, the last arm to do it is completely down. Ideally, IF you are going to be connecting this to other techniques, you will want to have your elbow end up in the home position, and you can do this by making your Double Elbow motion more "outward" than downward. It also looks like you may be turning your hand over as the fist hits the bag, contacting the back area of the fist. Really noticeable on the left arm as you do the
          O-DES. This can really cause you some problems later, and this may be what is forcing your arm into a downward motion, rather than outward.

Try doing a couple of Double Elbow strikes, and then Try O-DES to RSP, Same arm, x3 or x4. You will have to keep the elbow up to do that.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 05-16-2006, 10:21 PM.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Yes, that's much better (and easier)

I still need to keep the elbows up and return to the home position better, but this feels a lot more promising.

More to come...
            Last edited by Tim; 05-21-2006, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Tim Elbows 2

Yes, that is much better. The "finishing touch" will come when you let the fist hit the bag and pass through to the Reverse Single Punch (RSP). You will have to keep the elbow up to do this.

...and you have already done it. I think you have already done: Front Circle Punch ( ' ' 2 rebounds) Reverse Single Punch. or
              FCP ' ' RSP

well, the fist hitting the bag in your Outward Double Elbow is the same contact as the FCP. just keep the elbow up and extend the arm. the fist will pass through the bag automatically.

secret: Do NOT duck your hand under the bag. It is not necessary. when done correctly, the bag is compressed on the board as the fist goes straight through. (if you hit the belly, which Tim is doing nicely.)

The combination is written like this:
              Outward-Double Elbow Strike (O-DES) to Reverse Single Punch (RSP) to front again, by Right Arm
              [ I have to use the .... as spacers to get the letters in the correct position. sorry. ]

......R.............R
              (O-DES) ' ' (RSP) ' ' ..return fist to the front.
              .....e-f

You're getting better, Tim! great job.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Yes, the RSP following the O-DES is a great combination for training purposes. My Memorial Day weekend project is to get better at this sequence.

Here's a starting clip

I'll post another on Monday and we'll see if I can improve over one weekend.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Elbow combination

Tim, you're looking great! very nice on all counts.

...by the way, I also noticed you did a Left Arm, (O-DES) to (RSP) and then followed with a Right (FSP).

that's great, and shows good understanding of mixing and modifying combinations. You don't have to follow the RSP with the same fist (left FCP in this example). YOU chose to go to the other (right) fist. When you do this, you can use the Right FSP, or the Right FCP fist contacts.

(* AFter the RSP, IF you were going to link that right fist (FSP) through to a reverse punch, it would be easier with a FCP fist contact - but you can link a fist through after the FSP, although it is a little more difficult..)
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Tim
                    Yes, the RSP following the O-DES is a great combination for training purposes. My Memorial Day weekend project is to get better at this sequence.
                    Aarrgh. What a frustrating weekend. I worked on this every day and I think I've actually gotten worse

I finally gave up and practiced some Out & In 4 way elbow strike

I can't actually incorporate this particular move into any sequence yet... seems like have to hit the bag hard and then it's moving to fast and I'm too far out of position to do anything about it... I guess that's the nature of this beast though as the bible indicates it's mostly used as a final technique to end a sequence.

I will return to the original sequence sometime this week. A few days of rest are in order
                    Last edited by Tim; 05-29-2006, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

4-way elbow strike

Your Out-&-IN 4way is beautiful.

It is an awkward ending but you can anticipate that. I find the easiest way to return is with any of these "Four" leading Outward Elbow Strikes:

The

1. The Outward - Single Elbow Strike
                      2. The Outward - Double Elbow Strike
                      3. The Outward - Triple Elbow Strike
                      4. The Out & In 4way, last arm leading.
                      (5) A Front Circle Punch of the last arm is also a good possibility

IN your video, your left arm leads, and your right elbow hits last. As soon as your right elbow (last part) clears the bag - use that elbow to lead back into the bag after three rebounds. It should end the O-D 4way in the setup position for a returning Outward elbow.

Anticipate the bag to be going a tick slower, since the last (inward) elbow will not have the power of the other three parts. Most inward elbow strikes "slow" the bag slightly.

Here is a little practice one arm combination I sometimes do. Inward-Double Elbow {3 rebounds} Outward-Double Elbow, Same Arm. Try this from the Basic Rhythm. [The I-DES replaces the FSP, and the O-DES replaces the FCP]

Left Front Circle (FCP), Right I-DES ' ' ' Right O-DES, Left Front Straight Punch (FSP).....repeat.

You can advance this from a one arm to a two arm combination, Replacing the FSP and FCP with the repective Double Elbow Strike.

Keep working. It will come.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...