• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Vintage Nonpareil Platform

I couldn't resist bidding on this vintage platform. It looked in great shape with the lettering still very visible. I don't plan on using it much. I would imagine this kind vibrated a lot. Anyone here have one similar? I'm going to find a place in my garage to hang it up. I got it for $41.00. Even if I overpaid it's not much for something that old. Heres some pics. All you baggin historians please feel free to comment.

• paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Not a bad price. I like the look of these. Wish someone would post a video of this kind of platform in action. Hint hint.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

I've seen lots of these around between $30-$50... yours looks to be in great shape, so I'd say you got a good deal. Now post some video of you hitting on it! :-)
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

This is what the listing said about it.
        "This is an original antique wood and leather and metal speed bag.
        It came out of the third story of a house that is well over 100 years old in northern Wisconsin.
        The lady who sold it to me said that it was part of the original interior of the house.
        She owned the house up until several years ago.
        She said that the original owner of the house was very wealthy and had a large family.
        She said that when she bought the house, the majority of it was left with the original contents."

What's funny is it's going back into a house that's over 100 years old. These must have been primarily for home use. I can't imagine these holding up in gym. But then I'm no historian, so who knows. There is another one on ebay right now the exact same brand name and style in worse condition and the seller has a $250.00 BIN price. He may have to wait a while or take a much lower offer.

I've been turning my garage into a museum of sorts with vintage stuff plastered all over the place. This will look awesome hung up somewhere. I just have to figure out where.

fedora
        Last edited by fedora; 11-28-2013, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

It will look awesome. Haven't found one near me yet. Wish you had been here when the bicycle spoke platformed showed up on Craigslist. You would have liked that one.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

I've seen photographs of these in home and small institutional gyms, so yes they were found in places other than in basement and barns.

Comment

• fedora
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              It will look awesome. Haven't found one near me yet. Wish you had been here when the bicycle spoke platformed showed up on Craigslist. You would have liked that one.
              Interestingly enough this one was listed from Brandon Wisconsin. Is that close to you?

fedora

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Brandon is doable, but would hope for a bigger city where I have another reason to go there. How much was shipping ?

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

$29.00 to ship. Total investment $70.00. Not bad considering it comes with a vintage bag. Although I can't tell what shape or brand it is. My biggest problem is going to be finding a spot to hang it. I'll have to do some reconfiguring in my decor to fit it in someplace. I want to be able to mount it where I can use it.

This is the listing for the other one that is almost identical.

fedora
                  Last edited by fedora; 11-28-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

That one has a Lucky Dog swivel, and a lot of rust, the price says you got the better deal.

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Just got this in the mail and it looks awesome. Interesting swivel just has a small chain that goes into the bell and is secured with a small nut and bolt. I'll post pics later.

The 10X12 bag is in incredible shape, no cracks or holes. looks like it was hardly used. It says "Marathon" trademark on it and there is no air hole at the bottom. Too bad the bladder is missing, is there a bladder made today that has an air hole at the top?

fedora

Comment

• fedora
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2012

Here's a few pics of the bag, the one is next to my Ringside 9X6 to show it's size. I can't believe the shape this bag is in. The only thing showing wear is around where the laces used to be. The loop is hardly worn like the rest of the bag. I stuffed it full of packing material for now just so I could take a pic or 2. The swivel also shows minimal wear. The chain would have worn all the paint off if it had been used a lot, but as you can see alot of it is still there.

Comment

• fedora
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                          you are quite the collector.
                          I'm afraid your right on that Ralph. Once I get into something it becomes an obsession. I've found a spot to hang this thing in my garage. Tomorrow I need to get some lag bolts to attach it to the wall. I've ordered some bladders that I hope will work with this bag and the other one I just got. Once the weather warms up, I'll disassemble it and refinish the oak frame.

Did you see the private message I sent you?

fedora
                          Last edited by fedora; 12-12-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• fedora
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Dec 2012

I just got this vintage platform mounted on my garage wall yesterday. I had to put a lot of blocking in to get it level and I haven't painted the blocking yet so it still looks a little rough. The thing is actually not bad to hit on. I put on my Leone bag since it is light and wouldn't vibrate as much. It really does sound like a bit of a "drum" hitting on it. My garage is separate from my house and my wife could really hear it inside the house. I thought the chain swivel would limit what I could do on it but it didn't. I had to get used to it of course like you do anytime you switch but I like it a lot. Here's a few different angles of it.
                            BTW, the seller said this came out of a house 100 years old. My house was built in 1913, so it should feel right at home.

Last edited by fedora; 12-14-2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                              I just got this vintage platform mounted on my garage wall yesterday. I had to put a lot of blocking in to get it level and I haven't painted the blocking yet so it still looks a little rough. The thing is actually not bad to hit on. I put on my Leone bag since it is light and wouldn't vibrate as much. It really does sound like a bit of a "drum" hitting on it. My garage is separate from my house and my wife could really hear it inside the house. I thought the chain swivel would limit what I could do on it but it didn't. I had to get used to it of course like you do anytime you switch but I like it a lot. Here's a few different angles of it.
                              BTW, the seller said this came out of a house 100 years old. My house was built in 1913, so it should feel right at home.

Make a video of you hitting that! That giant leather bag can double as a life raft if you need one.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...