• Show
Clear All
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

kevin on the speedbag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R465AHe5fHcmy first video
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

there is no sound on this video incase you were wondering. i did it with my camera. the swivel is a plastic everlast ball hook and the bag is a title (yellow) 5x8.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Nice!

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
        • Oct 2006

im working on some reverse fist rolling right now and that video post will be coming soon. i was nervous in this video being it was my first time posting one. the next will be good.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
          • Oct 2006

i also normally hit on ringsides super swivel. this plastic one isnt very good for going fast, which is what im used to.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Very nice linking, back to front. Great transitions and everything looked pretty smooth. Seems like you're probably right handed as you definitely favor the right, but you had plenty of the left in there as well. A couple of breakdowns in there, but that happens to all of us.

Time for some elbows

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
              • Oct 2006

i threw down one triple elbow in there

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Kevdawg0324

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
                i also normally hit on ringsides super swivel. this plastic one isnt very good for going fast, which is what im used to.
                I hope your "training speed" is slower than this. This speed seems to be right on the edge of your control.

I've watched your clip many times and it is difficult to make too many judgements on this clip, for the clarity of your bag contact is lost with no audio, and the slightly "upward" angle of the camera makes it difficult to see some position issues, such as bag height- which might be a tad high, based on how you are swinging, which appears to be slightly up and down, particularly when repetitive punching from the front. It straightens out a bit with single fist linking, but is noticeable on the double fist pass through's. By that I mean your fists make contact on the downward motion of your front circling motion, rather that at the top. Hmmm. That is difficult to do on a bag that is too high - which usually makes one hit "early" on the upward angle of the fist motion, and leaves a noticeable "chank" as the bag is driven upward into the swivel. Hard to tell here. Looking forward to the next video with sound and perhaps a higher more parallel camera angle.

that said, You have a really nice mix of techniques. You appear loose and relaxed. Great Front fist Rolling and this should be expanded to develop more fist control. As a targeted workout plan, I would have you do several little drills with fist rolling.

Directly FROM Front Fist Rolling

go directly to single fist linking ( left and right)
                go directly to single fist Reverse Single Punching ( left and right)
                go directly to Double Fist linking
                go directly to Split fist linking ( left and right fist going behind)

go directly TO Front Fist Rolling from

Reverse Single Punching ( left and right )
                Reverse Double Punching
                Split Fist combo
                go directly to Split fist linking ( left and right fist going behind)
                connect it to your Outward Triple Elbow Strike (advance front combo - last fist of OTES is also first fist of Roll. (tip: have to keep lead fist up next to bag)

I really like these Front Fist Rolling Drills, for a couple of reasons. First, they take fist and swing control. Second, Almost all happen in the Double bounce Rhythm and Single rebound Fist Roll, third, they demand the elbows be kept up, which forces a "straight into the bag" punching angle, and Fourth, You have nice control of the Roll. These drills emphasize that strength. These drills may also help clean up your large circling motions when punching.

I really like the position of your elbows in your roll and single fist linking. for double fist linking you appear to be dipping and reaching behind. You might try moving closer to the bag so your fists don't have to extend so far out to get behind the bag. The bag is nowhere near your nose so you have plenty of room to move foreward.

Nice spin of the bag after a breakdown, too. I always enjoy a good spin, of the bag.

Hope this helps you out.
                Last edited by Speedbag; 12-18-2006, 10:28 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Nice spin of the bag after a breakdown, too. I always enjoy a good spin, of the bag.
                  I recognize that little spin on the bag. You get used to doing that with the plastic ball hook swivel becasue it always loosens up. A little spin now and then helps to tighten it up!

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                    • Oct 2006

thank you for the feedback "speedbag". youre absolutely right, the bag is too high by about 2 inches. my unit isnt adjustable because its homemade and the best i can find. made out of 11 gauge angle iron with an 1.5 of maple hardwood and another 1.5 of mahogony plywood glued to it. its the sturdiest platform ive ever hit on, but alas, none adjustable. i usually have a board under my feet but i didnt use it this time. as for my speed, i train slower, but i dont love that swivel i was hitting for it causes me to use more effort to hit the bag at the speed of which i am comfortable performing. on my next video, ill make sure to go slower and take more time so everyone can judge me better. thanks everyone! and please more feedback, itll only make me better

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...