• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

More videos with better lighting

Here are two more clips with improved lighting enjoy. Biff, I tried to put some tunes on but when I played back it was all distorted so I gotta work on that. I also recorded at two different angles, I prefer to hit from the front of the platform but it seems that I get a better angle for video from the side. Let me know which is better?
    sigpic
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Here's the other one
    sigpic

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Much better, MD. Both were very well done. If you like hitting from the front, stay with that. Man you were full-out on the F-Roll in the first clip around the 2:00 min mark. Nice mix of punching in both clips.

The lighting made a big difference, the quality of the video was much clearer. D@mn, I was tired after watching you beat up on that poor bag for over 8 minutes.

Experiment with the music, maybe you can get in some bag time with the music in the background.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Alright Metaldad! Great job! You have many of the patterns together. Have you gotten into the O-DES and O-TES stuff yet? Nice and even and taking your time! Nice headbutt!
        In the first clip, you were locked into a nice rhythm at around 1:05. It was pretty much a | FCP FCP FCP FCP FDP | (4 FCP's and 1 FDP)....
        Can you hear the groove you are punching? It is a basic syncopated 4/4 rhythm. I ask because you were repeating it a bunch of times and then were adding in some more FDP's and fist rolls after the initial pattern.
        SO....if you can hear these you can probably start punching that phrase and many others to tunes. Billie Jean and The Thing That Should Not Be are good tempos for the stuff you were doing at the tempo you were punching around for the most part.....
        Looking forward to more! Nice to finally see you baggin'!
        BAG ON!

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Biff View Post
          Much better, MD. Both were very well done. If you like hitting from the front, stay with that. Man you were full-out on the F-Roll in the first clip around the 2:00 min mark. Nice mix of punching in both clips.

The lighting made a big difference, the quality of the video was much clearer. D@mn, I was tired after watching you beat up on that poor bag for over 8 minutes.

Experiment with the music, maybe you can get in some bag time with the music in the background.
          Thanks Biff, I'm actually trying to build up the endurance to keep that F-roll going at an intense pace...............might take awhile. I'm still gonna experiment with positioning the camera and adding music. Now that I can finally start adding video, I'm like a kid with a new toy lol.

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          Alright Metaldad! Great job! You have many of the patterns together. Have you gotten into the O-DES and O-TES stuff yet? Nice and even and taking your time! Nice headbutt!
          In the first clip, you were locked into a nice rhythm at around 1:05. It was pretty much a | FCP FCP FCP FCP FDP | (4 FCP's and 1 FDP)....
          Can you hear the groove you are punching? It is a basic syncopated 4/4 rhythm. I ask because you were repeating it a bunch of times and then were adding in some more FDP's and fist rolls after the initial pattern.
          SO....if you can hear these you can probably start punching that phrase and many others to tunes. Billie Jean and The Thing That Should Not Be are good tempos for the stuff you were doing at the tempo you were punching around for the most part.....
          Looking forward to more! Nice to finally see you baggin'!
          BAG ON!
          Thanks man!! I feel awesome now that you are finally able to check out and critique my stuff!! Can't wait ti' Alan sees the clips. I just started learning the O-SES. After reading and rereading Alan's notes on the technique, I saw the video from Skunk where he also breaks it down and started practicing them more. I'm getting a little more comfortable with O-SES time I practice. Ever since seeing JohnnyShowtime, I've been wanting to try the headbutt. One day everything will flow seemlessly like you guys make it look. That rhythm has been the easiest for me to go with. Every time I transition from the FCP to the FDP, I hear that in my head.......it reminds me of a Cannibal Corpse song........Now I gotta find that cd, I think the song is on Vile or Gallery of Suicide. I don't remember the song name, just the groove. Now the flood gates have opened lol.
          sigpic

Comment

• The Baggist
            Vert Baggin' Master
            • May 2009

Finally Metaldad goes Hollywood!! Nice punching....keep em coming!!!!

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
              Spin Master

• Aug 2008

very good rhythm- keep doing what your doing- its all coming together now!

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I like to watch from a side view, but that is really an issue of camera placement. Your first video was kinda from the side. Actually, if you move the camera a bit more to the left it would have been like the 2nd video. I like the view of the second video because the camera is at shoulder level making it easy to see the arm positions and fist movements.

To me it looks like your trying to duck your hands under the bag (1:22 - 1:32 in first video) a bit to get behind. I see a definite "downward, then forward" motion on single fist pass through figure 8's. That downward motion should not be necessary and it slows you down because it is an inefficient motion. To get out of that, reverse the movement. Instead of starting from the front, start from the reverse position. Do three or four Reverse Single Punches, (RSP), then pass to one Front Circle Punch (FCP). It will be easier going back to front then front to back.

You also do that with the Front Double Punch (FDP) to Reverse Double Punch (RDP). Reverse that combination also. It might take a little work to do continuous Reverse Double Punching (RDP) ' ' ' (RDP) but it's worth the effort.

Fist Rolling looks very good. Solid movement and rhythm. For the Elbow (O-SES), now advance that to the Outward Double Elbow Strike
                (O-DES), by letting the same fist as the elbow follow the movement and the bag will rebound into it. You don't put your fist "on the bag". when you get the movement right the bag will simply rebound into your fist. At that point you can also pass the fist through. It's no different than single fist pass throughs, just putting an elbow in front.

Keep working, you're doing great!! Hope to see you in Chicago with SSP and we'll give you a tune up!
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2006

great job...u got skills man!
                  ________
                  PRILOSEC WITHDRAW
                  Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                    Finally Metaldad goes Hollywood!! Nice punching....keep em coming!!!!
                    Thanks Baggist, now that I finally got the camcorder, the addiction is taking hold lol! My wife had to put the shackles on me to keep me out of the garage.

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands View Post
                    very good rhythm- keep doing what your doing- its all coming together now!
                    Thanks my man!! I can't wait to get back at it again! Maybe one day I'll get those spins down like you have mastered! Those spinning elbows of yours rule!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    I like to watch from a side view, but that is really an issue of camera placement. Your first video was kinda from the side. Actually, if you move the camera a bit more to the left it would have been like the 2nd video. I like the view of the second video because the camera is at shoulder level making it easy to see the arm positions and fist movements.

To me it looks like your trying to duck your hands under the bag (1:22 - 1:32 in first video) a bit to get behind. I see a definite "downward, then forward" motion on single fist pass through figure 8's. That downward motion should not be necessary and it slows you down because it is an inefficient motion. To get out of that, reverse the movement. Instead of starting from the front, start from the reverse position. Do three or four Reverse Single Punches, (RSP), then pass to one Front Circle Punch (FCP). It will be easier going back to front then front to back.

You also do that with the Front Double Punch (FDP) to Reverse Double Punch (RDP). Reverse that combination also. It might take a little work to do continuous Reverse Double Punching (RDP) ' ' ' (RDP) but it's worth the effort.

Fist Rolling looks very good. Solid movement and rhythm. For the Elbow (O-SES), now advance that to the Outward Double Elbow Strike
                    (O-DES), by letting the same fist as the elbow follow the movement and the bag will rebound into it. You don't put your fist "on the bag". when you get the movement right the bag will simply rebound into your fist. At that point you can also pass the fist through. It's no different than single fist pass throughs, just putting an elbow in front.

Keep working, you're doing great!! Hope to see you in Chicago with SSP and we'll give you a tune up!
                    Thank you so much Alan! I'm so psyched that you finally get to check me out!! I never thought of the motion on the fgure 8's , I just sort went with "feel", but I do realize that it does feel kind of forced when I transition to that technique. Starting the double punching from the reverse will be a challenge but I'll keep trying. I have been trying to work the O-DES, but that too feels "forced" right now. I just gotta learn to relax. With the Front Fist Rolling, I definitely want to try and up the intensity on that. I find that technique to be an awesome endurance test!.............Thanks everybody, more to come!
                    sigpic

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
                      Spin Master

• Aug 2008

thanks my man! I learned so much just hangin- watchin - learning-from the speed bag regulars we always talk to- just be an obsessive nut like me and you will be fine

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
                        Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

metaldad

OHHHH snap!! look at that bad mama jama tear up the bag. Looks like POWER is in them hands. Good working. When you are ready to learn some new tricks it will be to your best benifit to SETTLE DOWN and relaz a little more as well as get you a BALL HOOK SWIVEL "i know i know you probly dont like those, however to learn more tricks it is much easier to control the bag with a ball hook swivel. Dont get me wrong your speedbag skills you have now are CRISP!!! But if your wanting to expand then you must seek out to new things on the bag. Might even be a good idea to get ANOTHER platform and ball hook swivel so that way you can learn new tricks on that platform then go to your STANDARD platform to TEAR it UP!! But good videos man keep up the great work.

BTW dont become a nut like SpeedBagScissor hands lmao its hard enough with one of those guys running around online hahaha "Just kiddin scissor hands u know u my Bag Brother for Life!
                        As well as all you speedbaggers!
                        Ur SpeedBag buddy

Skunk

Comment

• metaldad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by SpeedBagSkunk View Post
                          OHHHH snap!! look at that bad mama jama tear up the bag. Looks like POWER is in them hands. Good working. When you are ready to learn some new tricks it will be to your best benifit to SETTLE DOWN and relaz a little more as well as get you a BALL HOOK SWIVEL "i know i know you probly dont like those, however to learn more tricks it is much easier to control the bag with a ball hook swivel. Dont get me wrong your speedbag skills you have now are CRISP!!! But if your wanting to expand then you must seek out to new things on the bag. Might even be a good idea to get ANOTHER platform and ball hook swivel so that way you can learn new tricks on that platform then go to your STANDARD platform to TEAR it UP!! But good videos man keep up the great work.

BTW dont become a nut like SpeedBagScissor hands lmao its hard enough with one of those guys running around online hahaha "Just kiddin scissor hands u know u my Bag Brother for Life!
                          As well as all you speedbaggers!
                          Ur SpeedBag buddy

Skunk
                          Thanks Skunk. You are someone else who's input I have been dying to get!! Yeah I tend to hit a bit hard when I'm on the bag and this goes against one of the first things i learned from Alan: The speed speed bag is also known as the "control" bag. It's not always about power, I just get so geeked up (sometimes visualizing an old nemesis or boss lol). Definitely working on the relax part. I do like using the ball hook swivel, the one I have now doesn't feel right when I use it. I think it might be well worn out from when I had the Century stand that I started on. I do intend on getting another one , as far as another platform, I got my eye on a couple of higher end Everlast adjustable platforms, but my lottery winnings haven't paid out yet lol. I think there can only be one scissorhands....however I have had my own ideas for spoofs lol. I really wanna try punch drumming, there are some KILLER metal tunes that I want to bag to and film......time to get cracking. Thanks again Skunk....looking forward to SpeedB.A.G. 2010!!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
                            Spin Master

• Aug 2008

hahaha Skunk as far as im concerned you participated in the creation of this nutty scissorhands i learned alot from your videos and still do and your in alot of my movies- you have yourself to blame!hahaha love ya kid- good luck in the fight this weekend!!!!!! SPEED BAG SCISSORHANDS dot com!!!!!!

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
                              Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

hahaha

Metaldad no problem brother!! Honestly the platform you have now isone of the best i have punched on. I bought my dad a 800.00 one for his 50th Bday and guess what its about the same other then being much larger. But stability wise its the same as the 120.00 everlast platform.

As far as you SPEEDBAGSCISSORHANDS you are right we are both crazy dude with a CRAZY IMAGINATION im still looking forward to gettin together to do the ULTIMATE SPOOF. maybe when speedbag 2010 comes along we can all be a part of a spoof. omg. will be great!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...