• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Learning to drum.

Starting to feel like I am getting somewhere. When I grow up I want to be a "Punch Drummer".

• Del-Striking
    • Aug 2014

Cool tune, could've used a little more volume to blend in with the baggin. Hey SSM you ever mix in a 4 rebound front punch followed by the same in reverse. I think it sounds so good when added at the right time in a song.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

You're right- volume too low. I have to put the speaker in a different place than the camera when it's raining or like yesterday, snowing or our laptop (my music player) will get wet. Because the camera and music are set up in different places I struggle to judge how loud to play it compared to when I put my camera ontop of the 'puter. Also I find the type of song makes a difference to how loud it needs to be, this song records quiet, some record loud. This is the first time I've tried syncopated punching and it seems to come out way louder than on the beat punching so I am seeing that how fast and hard I drum makes a difference.
      When it's time to hit the bag I have a small window of opportunity so can't use the time up doing a rehearsal run to test the volume I just have to take what I can get. But I will work on it.

This 4+4 fist roll you speak of- do you use it in double time, on the rhythm style?

Comment

• Del-Striking
        • Aug 2014

Although I do like the 4+4 front to rear fist roll the strike I'm referring to is a front punch then letting the bag rebound 4 times then after the 4th rebound immediately striking it in the reverse position and letting it rebound 4 more times. I've seen Alan, Matt and Zaza use this to bridge a part of a song when vocals pause for a measure. Check this video out.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

Ah the split fists with four rebounds in between, aka (FSP)''''(RSP). I am aware of that sound but as far as mixing stuff together, I am still learning.

Being able to punch them, and mixing them together all at the right time to the beat are two very different things I am finding. So I have decided to take it easy and begin with just a few combinations and techniques and as I start to feel the beat learn to add in more and more.

Ataraxis is one of my favorite baggers to watch. (and hear) I've seen that video many times now. Hopefully we get to see more of his drumming really soon..
          Last edited by Speedbag Seaweed Man; 07-10-2015, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Del-Striking
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
            Ah the split fists with four rebounds in between, aka (FSP)''''(RSP). I am aware of that sound but as far as mixing stuff together, I am still learning.

Being able to punch them, and mixing them together all at the right time to the beat are two very different things I am finding. So I have decided to take it easy and begin with just a few combinations and techniques and as I start to feel the beat learn to add in more and more.

Ataraxis is one of my favorite baggers to watch. (and hear) I've seen that video many times now. Hopefully we get to see more of his drumming really soon..
            I hear ya, it can start to get overwhelming with all the options. It's best to just use a handful of strikes and begin to feel the rhythm then slowly expand.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

Throw away Your Television

Throw Away Your Television

The first signs of a circle is just starting to show up on my new drum ooh how exciting. I left the surface unfinished. Smooth but rough sawn so the bag can beat a nice smooth groove for itself into the surface of the redwood timber. A wood hopefully soft enough to slightly compact where the bag is hitting it.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I'm assuming you have seen this one...

For licensing or usage contact: licensing@viralhog.comContact info for Matthew(guy in video): mateosanti123@gmail.com Punch Drumming to Memory Lane by Netsky...

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2015

That was the first vid I ever saw. Got a bag, needed info on what to do next and clicked on this on youtube. Blew my mid then and still does now every time I see it.

Comment

• Del-Striking
                    • Aug 2014

Throw Away Your Television

The first signs of a circle is just starting to show up on my new drum ooh how exciting. I left the surface unfinished. Smooth but rough sawn so the bag can beat a nice smooth groove for itself into the surface of the redwood timber. A wood hopefully soft enough to slightly compact where the bag is hitting it.

Nice mixing of tempos on this video. Smooth and clean. I also respect you stopping the bagging to give your child your attention. Priorities, right brother.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2015

Poi E

Hitting to Poi E by Patea Maori Club. This song, in 1984 spent 22 weeks on the charts in NZ and 4 of those weeks at no.1 . lol.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Hitting to Poi E by Patea Maori Club. This song, in 1984 spent 22 weeks on the charts in NZ and 4 of those weeks at no.1 . lol.

Notice you got that "double punching when changing sides" down very nice. Great set of Straight Time Punching.

Are you feeling any of the "Syncopated combinations" to that song?

this works pretty well..

FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP..(* 2nd fist thru) ' ' RSP ' ' FDP....

* that second fist acts as the single fist FCP at the beginning.

key: the FCP starts inbetween two beats (the "and" count: 1-and-2..). You might have to back into the combo by starting from a double punch (changing sides), and do, say a RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP or FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP to get on the half beat. OR you can "fast fist" a Front Double Punch, meaning you speed up a double punch just a bit to get the second fist to connect a tad before a song beat to act as the "and" count. You will find you do that a lot when changing between combination sequences and you will eventually learn which punch in combinations allow you to do that.

(I've learned that since the video's were made )

basically you can speed up (fast fist) or slow down (slow fist) a Double Punch (FDP, RDP or SDP) to manipulate the placement of the second fist within the music beat. To my ear, you can move it a 16th or an 8th count up or down within the measure but I never "count it", but do it by feel. The speed bump, up or down, is all done by slight variations of fist/power control, Such as dead handing the bag or putting in a little after burner on punch. Just be aware the you have to adjust the next punch or so also to adjust back.

remember, a FDP is actually two FCP: (FCP ' FCP) and you may often see that last single fist being the lead to change combinations.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2015

Mixing some syncopated combinations in with straight time punching to Poi E. Didn't get to the FDP''RDP''FCP''RDP''FDP''RSP yet but will have a blat on that one tomorrow. I have seen you do that one Speedbag - and loved the sound. After this I played a faster song and tried to be creative hitting to that one.

Poi E..

This music has a faster beat. It is Nu Steppa, by Salmonella Dub

I am currently working on setting up a solar powered battery bank that will run a CD player and some speakers, lighting etc for my nonagon. Currently I am using a laptop to play my music and the volume is lacking. Especially during syncopated rhythms when the bag and drum is banging at it's loudest.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Mixing some syncopated combinations in with straight time punching to Poi E. Didn't get to the FDP''RDP''FCP''RDP''FDP''RSP yet but will have a blat on that one tomorrow. I have seen you do that one Speedbag - and loved the sound. After this I played a faster song and tried to be creative hitting to that one.

Poi E..
                            Nailed it! 3-3 was awesome. Dead on. loved the FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP combo, works great doesn't it.

now, that is actually a great set up for the other, more complicated combo

FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' ........

Notice the opening of the above combo is FDP ' ' RSP ' '

That is the same as the combo you are already doing FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP

(secret and that is your change point. Just do that as you were doing, but instead of doing a triplet rebound and another RSP, you pass the fist back to the front and start the more advanced combo with a RDP.

Those two combinations will sync perfectly, any time to any song

Like this: Your original FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP is underlined. The change part is in RED The key change is dropping the second RSP of that combo, doing only one and then a FDP

FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP

That combo plays all day. with a little change you can also change to the FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' ' .... combo

note:

FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' [COLOR="Red"]

Do this a few times, then after the FDP ' ' RSP ' '..(one RSP) bring it to the front, do another FDP, then 3 rebounds ' ' ' to a single fist pass through. It sound way more confusing than it is...

FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' RSP ' '

* note the FDP ' ' ' FCP is the change to the FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' ' combo...

change back to the original with FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP combo. note the green combo FCP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP gets you back to the original combo using a FCP to the 2 RSP instead of a FDP.

Those three combinations will flow together every single time.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2015

Hitting the bag to The John Butler Trio.
                              I chuck the FDP''RDP''FCP''RDP''FDP''RSP.. repeat into the tune. Not sure If I fit in in quite right but it was fun.
                              One I am liking right now is
                              (F-Rollx4)''(RDP)''(FDP)''(R-Rollx4) repeat , for hitting in straight time.

This song is called E Papa Waiari. It is another Maori folk song with a nice meaning.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...