X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Alan Kahn's version of "Shake Your Body Down"

I 'filmed' this at Speed B.A.G. II (Thursday, June 16). It was the first day of the event. It was still early, and Alan had the platform to himself. I didn't get the whole thing, but what I did get is great stuff!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Nicely Done on this Video Dee!

Denise, great editing job with the slow-mo, upward view and the 4 quadrant perspective. Thanks for getting this footage early Thursday so we have this memory forever! Alan nice job with the basics that you spent so much time teaching all of us that wanted to learn as much as we could about punch drumming!

Great Post and Bagging!

Thanks Again both of you
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

That's some great footage right there MsD, Thanks for taking the time to edit, and post this video. Top notch drummin! AWESOME ALAN!

Alright... i have to go back and watch this video MANY more times, and learn what punch drumming is REALLY all about.

Always learn from the best

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
        That's some great footage right there MsD, Thanks for taking the time to edit, and post this video. Top notch drummin! AWESOME ALAN!

Alright... i have to go back and watch this video MANY more times, and learn what punch drumming is REALLY all about.

Always learn from the best
        What Punch Drumming is all about is simple: Hitting the Speed Bag to music. The core skill is making the "sounds" of the bag techniques and combinations match the beat, melody or groove of the song you are punching to. It IS exactly like a drummer playing with a band. A drummer normally has "sticks to hit the drum", but we use the speed bag as our "stick". A drummer has a set of Basic Sticking Rudiments. You don't have to know how to do them all to play, but the more you understand them and the more of them you can do, the more variety of beat you can perform. But you can basically play a drum with only one or two rudiments.

Same with the speed bag, and punch drumming. Our "rudiments" are the Speed bag fist punching and elbow striking techniques, and the SOUND each one makes. You can punch drum, or hit to music, with only a few single punching skills, punching "on the beat" with song in the triplet bag rhythm. Or you can hit "on the beat" front to back, in the double bounce beat. But you don't need a lot of bag techniques to do it. Of course, the more bag skill you have, the more techniques and combinations you can perform and control, the more variety you can have for your "bag beat", created by the sounds of the techniques and combinations. It is important to focus on the accent patterns and sounds made by the bag techniques and combinations. (* A drummer with sticks can accented any stroke in a rudiment, because he maintains contact with the stick at all times. He/She has complete control of force and speed all the way through the rudiment. Not so on the speed bag, for once the bag leaves your hand during the rebound you cannot change its force or speed until the next punch. the easy way to understand this is: A drummer can hit HARD and SLOW at the some time because of the constant contact with the stick. A speed bagger cannot hit HARD and SLOW because when you hit HARD the bag goes faster, and you cannot change it's speed once it leaves your hand. the speed imparted from your Hard Punch may put the bag in the wrong part of the rebound arc when you want to hit it again. This means we (baggers) have to learn the accent patterns of the speed bag techniques and certain combinations. We work (drum) off the accented sounds of techniques and combinations. These are normally the "Punched" sounds. the unpunched or swinging rebounds don't really count except for how they effect changing sides of the bag.

It's easy to hear when someone is punching "in time to the music" and hear their bag beat to the song, but it has proven difficult to teach it to others until this forum took off. Over the years I have tried to figure out how this works and teach it to others, and I have finally found others!.
        I'm happy to say that several baggers can now groove to a song and keep their beat "in time, on time, everytime" ( :56 & 2:22 sec). Every performance is different and validates the "art" of punch drumming as a true form of creative expression.

Best part is: YOU CAN DO IT!

(* sorry this was so long. I'm a bit philosophical tonight....)

Thanks Dee for posting the clip.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...