• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
    THANKS ALAN AND BRIAN!!!! Yeah I know what you guys mean. It's kinda like if it were drums, you wouldn't play a SOLO through a whole song. It might be cool for a bit but after a while it would just ruin the song. So your sayin use the basics to groove and combos here and there as tasty fills, and when its on you can see it and hear it!!!:D I will definitely put this advice into action especially since it coming from two of the BEST in the business!!!!
    GREAT song list Alan!!! I will be trying these out for shure and would love to see a new funky vid from you!!!!!
    Exactly. Take the groove that the song gives you and find a steady bag beat that flows with it, then throw in a few rhythmic fills with more advanced combinations when the music phrases or measure flow allows it. It is exactly like a drummer, keep a steady beat with a little flavor occassionally, but that steady beat drives the band. Then throwing some more noticeable fills, AND a few solo's when the times comes. But you're right, you don't solo through the whole song. It takes a bit of time to learn. The most important part is learning control of punching techniques and bag beat, and keeping it steady in time with the song. You will have to constantly adjust your punching speed for fills and changes from the double and triplet rhythms between combinations, but learning to adjust that speed automatically should be easier as you gain fist and bag control. You'll learn tricks like bag speed adjustment is easiest off the F-Roll or Single Fist Passing, which always work in any song. As you learn more control and your mind can stop thinking about bag punching techniques, then you can start "jammin" with the beat and anticipating where the song phrases, bridges, repeats etc. are going. You start thinking and feeling the music, not so much on how to control your instrument. When your baggin' becomes automatic, your mind becomes free of "how to, techniques and combinations", and your movements are natural, THEN you will pass from a bag puncher to musician. It's sounds sappy but you'll become "part of the band", not someone who is punching along with them.

Actually, you are not far from that, but I sense you really want to use a lot of the more complex combinations, which are cool and sound great, but might be forced in some situations. It is far better to let the music tell you when a triple or four punch combination will fit, not trying to fit a more complex combination into a meaure or music phrase just to make it fit. I don't know if that makes sense, and Spinsmashpop can probably explain it more thoroughly from the musican or rhythmic standpoint, but I see a few baggers doing well on punch drumming for a few measures, then trying to do combinations that tell me they are focusing on their bag punching more than the music and where the "groove" of the song is going. But that should get better with more advanced bag and beat control. The key to Punch Drumming (to me..) is controlling the BAG SOUNDS, not worrying about the techniques or combinations to create them. With time you will already know that.

Keep going, Baggist, you're doing great!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• The Baggist
      Vert Baggin' Master
      • May 2009

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
      Oh no.... just wait....Baggist is gonna come out and tear us all apart with focused insanity, controlled chaos and a blistering, bagging, beat down, bonanza-style brou ha-ha!!

Hahaha.....

Controlled Chaos: The first words that came to mind last year when I saw what was possible on the speed bag! And....what I love about Led Zeppelin, Soundgarden, and Meshuggah!!!!!
      Ha ha B.T. Na I just want to be able to jam with ya'll at SPEED B.A.G. 2010 or sooner would be better!!
      And isn't it about time for a SOUNDGARDEN REUNION!!!!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Exactly. Take the groove that the song gives you and find a steady bag beat that flows with it, then throw in a few rhythmic fills with more advanced combinations when the music phrases or measure flow allows it. It is exactly like a drummer, keep a steady beat with a little flavor occassionally, but that steady beat drives the band. Then throwing some more noticeable fills, AND a few solo's when the times comes. But you're right, you don't solo through the whole song. It takes a bit of time to learn. The most important part is learning control of punching techniques and bag beat, and keeping it steady in time with the song. You will have to constantly adjust your punching speed for fills and changes from the double and triplet rhythms between combinations, but learning to adjust that speed automatically should be easier as you gain fist and bag control. You'll learn tricks like bag speed adjustment is easiest off the F-Roll or Single Fist Passing, which always work in any song. As you learn more control and your mind can stop thinking about bag punching techniques, then you can start "jammin" with the beat and anticipating where the song phrases, bridges, repeats etc. are going. You start thinking and feeling the music, not so much on how to control your instrument. When your baggin' becomes automatic, your mind becomes free of "how to, techniques and combinations", and your movements are natural, THEN you will pass from a bag puncher to musician. It's sounds sappy but you'll become "part of the band", not someone who is punching along with them.

Actually, you are not far from that, but I sense you really want to use a lot of the more complex combinations, which are cool and sound great, but might be forced in some situations. It is far better to let the music tell you when a triple or four punch combination will fit, not trying to fit a more complex combination into a meaure or music phrase just to make it fit. I don't know if that makes sense, and Spinsmashpop can probably explain it more thoroughly from the musican or rhythmic standpoint, but I see a few baggers doing well on punch drumming for a few measures, then trying to do combinations that tell me they are focusing on their bag punching more than the music and where the "groove" of the song is going. But that should get better with more advanced bag and beat control. The key to Punch Drumming (to me..) is controlling the BAG SOUNDS, not worrying about the techniques or combinations to create them. With time you will already know that.

Keep going, Baggist, you're doing great!
      Yeah Alan it all makes perfect sense, its great having support of yourself, B.T and all the forum members!! I read an earlier post by Brian talking about how(he feels) his rear fist rolls are lacking, because he's been putting that combo on the back burner.....that's how it is with me and punch drumming, something I really wanted to get good at but never put the time in or analyzed it until now. I know the wise members of the forum will keep me on the right track!!! THANKS ALAN!!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Ha ha B.T. Na I just want to be able to jam with ya'll at SPEED B.A.G. 2010 or sooner would be better!!

Yeah Alan it all makes perfect sense, its great having support of yourself, B.T and all the forum members!! I read an earlier post by Brian talking about how(he feels) his rear fist rolls are lacking, because he's been putting that combo on the back burner.....that's how it is with me and punch drumming, something I really wanted to get good at but never put the time in or analyzed it until now. I know the wise members of the forum will keep me on the right track!!! THANKS ALAN!!!
        Two keys tips to chew on..

1. You cannot think about the instrument while your playing it. If you concentrate on combinations while Punch Drumming, then you don't know the bag well enough. I don't care if you only know 2 techniques, or 18-20 of them. You should be comfortable enough with them to hit to music and NOT have to think about them. That is why you practice them for thousands of repetitions until you own them.

2. Start learning THE BAG SOUNDS until they are second nature. Notice how many different ways to reproduce a Double Beat (da DA). FDP, RDP, SDP, R-SDP, O-DES, D-DES, I-DES, and your original SSP ' SSP single fist double bump). Notice the Triple beats, (O-TES, D-TES,
        3-punch fist rolls, 3-punch monty, etc.). Notice how the single and double fist pass throughs create accented beat patterns, and how they flow into the double and triple accented punching combinations.
        Punch Drumming is really reproducing key accented beat patterns and knowing how to do them from anywhere around the bag - BUT IT IS "SOUND" driven, not technique driven. Learn to voice out the bags beat, and you can start singing it to any piece of music your listening to. I know you have the sounds down pretty well from your Punch Drumming video's.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Yes that would be cool... but often times bands like that were so special that only the mindset they were in then can give the music the correct energy.
          Cornell is still killer, but life, ups and downs, and tons of success have put his mind in place where he decided to have Timbaland produce his newest record.
          I am one of the biggest Soundgarden/Cornell fans. But he is deeper than what has just done. I wish he put out a concept fusion/folk/techno metal record....
          Because I fully believe he can and it would be wizard!
          Floyd meets Yes and Kansas, with some Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and Beatles in there mixed with Sabbath and Zeppelin...
          I hope he does a 180 soon....
          BAG ON!

Comment

• The Baggist
            Vert Baggin' Master
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Two keys tips to chew on..

1. You cannot think about the instrument while your playing it. If you concentrate on combinations while Punch Drumming, then you don't know the bag well enough. I don't care if you only know 2 techniques, or 18-20 of them. You should be comfortable enough with them to hit to music and NOT have to think about them. That is why you practice them for thousands of repetitions until you own them.

2. Start learning THE BAG SOUNDS until they are second nature. Notice how many different ways to reproduce a Double Beat (da DA). FDP, RDP, SDP, R-SDP, O-DES, D-DES, I-DES, and your original SSP ' SSP single fist double bump). Notice the Triple beats, (O-TES, D-TES,
            3-punch fist rolls, 3-punch monty, etc.). Notice how the single and double fist pass throughs create accented beat patterns, and how they flow into the double and triple accented punching combinations.
            Punch Drumming is really reproducing key accented beat patterns and knowing how to do them from anywhere around the bag - BUT IT IS "SOUND" driven, not technique driven. Learn to voice out the bags beat, and you can start singing it to any piece of music your listening to. I know you have the sounds down pretty well from your Punch Drumming video's.
            ALAN I know you touch on punch drumming and hitting to music in your book and your DVD's, have you ever thought of writing another book or producing another DVD based solely on the music angle of it. I know I'd be the first in line for it! Maybe yourself and Brian Tichy could produce some original tracks to demonstrate the different techniques and tempos and how to utilize them on different styles of music!?!?! Sounds like a GREAT IDEA to me!!!!

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
            Yes that would be cool... but often times bands like that were so special that only the mindset they were in then can give the music the correct energy.
            Cornell is still killer, but life, ups and downs, and tons of success have put his mind in place where he decided to have Timbaland produce his newest record.
            I am one of the biggest Soundgarden/Cornell fans. But he is deeper than what has just done. I wish he put out a concept fusion/folk/techno metal record....
            Because I fully believe he can and it would be wizard!
            Floyd meets Yes and Kansas, with some Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and Beatles in there mixed with Sabbath and Zeppelin...
            I hope he does a 180 soon....
            BAG ON!
            SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!! Have you heard any of it yet!!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

ALAN I know you touch on punch drumming and hitting to music in your book and your DVD's, have you ever thought of writing another book or producing another DVD based solely on the music angle of it. I know I'd be the first in line for it! Maybe yourself and Brian Tichy could produce some original tracks to demonstrate the different techniques and tempos and how to utilize them on different styles of music!?!?! Sounds like a GREAT IDEA to me!!!
              Yes, I have thought about it. To be honest, I made a "How to Punch Drum" video in September 1999, Just before I had my cervical multi-level laminectomies, which is doctor speak for removing the back half of the vertebras (C3-7) and giving the spinal cord more room. I had that done on Oct 1 1999, and made a quick video series of hitting to music a month before. As they say, "it's in the can" (shot) but I never edited it. It was quickly done and I did not hit the speed bag for almost 7 months after that operation due to problems in my left shoulder and arm. In April of 2000 I got back under that board, "re-learning" how to use my left arm, and in July of 2000 I shot the video "Rhythm & Rehab", featuring how to use the speed bag for rehabilitation, and spent several months editing that. When that was finished I was tired of spending hours editing videotape every night, so I took some time off and started hitting again. From April 2001 - march 2002 I spent a lot of time working with Blue Man Group music, and focused on little else. During the next few years I learned a lot more about Punching Drumming, How and why certain things worked and a lot more variations. Bottom line is, in a couple of years I knew that my early video was only scratching the surface and would not make me happy. I have always planned to do another one, and may still some day. I have the text outline for the video, which I look at and change, edit etc. occassionally. I have made several "test" versions, and special teaching demos, but nothing sales worthy. Since the fall of 2005 I've been ducking in and out of shoulder surgeries (x3) and the rehab from those usually negates serious speed baggin' also.

There is much more to making a commercially "sale worthy video" than you might think. All of my original video's were shot on Superior VHS ( S-VHS) and edited on professional level 1/2 inch video decks, with external titler and digital mixer. Today all of that is included in software packages for video editing and works on digitized video files. Just below or around the camera, or taped on the wall just out of focus, I place Que cards or flow "cheat" sheets, to help guide the audio and topic order. I have to make those sheets to put up before shooting, and plan for every edit point. The shorter each scene, the less time wasted if you have to re-shoot that for a last line screw up or missed edit point. Every scene (29 in the 1999 version) may take 1 - 4 takes etc. Everything has to be planned for such as House and traffic noise, your neighbors giant barking dogs, which can ruin hundreds of takes (ggrrrrrr), and times for airplane traffic. It's hard to edit out dogs and planes.... And let's not forget the heat issues. Turn on couple of professional kelvin video lights and see what the temperature of your room is in about 20 minutes. (add 20+ degrees to your current temp...) And go through all that to watch someone put a few "how to's" on youtube for free.... Not much sales going on in the "how to" world lately......

... but yeah, I hear ya. I really want to get a Punch Drumming teaching video out there.

one of these days when I get the house in order, the time to shoot, the time to edit, a job that doesn't linger on for hours into the night....

And using some cool music by BT would also be a plus!
              Last edited by Speedbag; 10-03-2009, 10:12 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...