The Thing That Should Not Bag! Spinsmashpop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

The Thing That Should Not Bag! Spinsmashpop!

Hey y'all! I did this 6.2.09, the morning I left on tour, as the car taking me to the airport waited outside. Total last minute pressure! Yeah, lots of mistakes and mis-hits but I think there is enough in time punch drumming to post. I was hesitant after watching the juggling dude, and knowing that I don't own it, yet!!! I am no Alan Kahn! But, I do feel it and understand it! This is a very average representation of where I am at. I can hit faster, I have hit more consistent, and I have locked up to the beat much better.
    Whatever, this is one try, one take. I love this song, I love Hetfield and I love Metallica.
    From this session I also have "Papa's Got A Brand New Speed Bag" form James Brown, and "Knuckle Bleed" from Meshuggah. I will have to edit those if I post because the punching is not as good as this song and it annoys me to watch.
    Or, I wait to get back on a bag and try it all again a little tighter!
    BAG ON!
    C'mon Metaldad!!! Get some clips up! Throw some killer tunes in the background and punch it up!!!!! I love watching others bag!

• metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    Hey y'all! I did this 6.2.09, the morning I left on tour, as the car taking me to the airport waited outside. Total last minute pressure! Yeah, lots of mistakes and mis-hits but I think there is enough in time punch drumming to post. I was hesitant after watching the juggling dude, and knowing that I don't own it, yet!!! I am no Alan Kahn! But, I do feel it and understand it! This is a very average representation of where I am at. I can hit faster, I have hit more consistent, and I have locked up to the beat much better.
    Whatever, this is one try, one take. I love this song, I love Hetfield and I love Metallica.
    From this session I also have "Papa's Got A Brand New Speed Bag" form James Brown, and "Knuckle Bleed" from Meshuggah. I will have to edit those if I post because the punching is not as good as this song and it annoys me to watch.
    Or, I wait to get back on a bag and try it all again a little tighter!
    BAG ON!
    C'mon Metaldad!!! Get some clips up! Throw some killer tunes in the background and punch it up!!!!! I love watching others bag!

Had to watch this one again...I just love THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE. Checked out your drum solo after that............you sir are a complete MONSTER on the kit!!!!
    sigpic

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

great vid...i just cant seem to hit to music. just cant figure it out!
      ________
      Live sex webshows
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
        great vid...i just cant seem to hit to music. just cant figure it out!
        can you dance?
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          can you dance?
          little bit...hahaha not looking to turn pro!
          ________
          Ninfomana

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

little bit...hahaha not looking to turn pro!
            Think of hitting the speed bag to music as related to dancing. You hear and feel the beat, then you move your body to it. When dancing, you express the music beat by body movements. If you can do that with a bit of control, you have the rhythmic sense to punch drum.

Another test would be hand drumming. If you can hear a song and "Hand Drum" by hitting the table in rhythm, or steering wheel in your car, and you can stay on beat pretty well, then you could punch drum, for you have the sense of rhythm, and perhaps just need to increase your punching control skills.

When you watch a video of someone doing it (me, SSP, Roc Stone, Scissorhands...etc) and you can feel the bag beat to the music (meaning you can tell when it's "on" and when it's "off") then you have the sense of rhythm to "hear it", feel it - and with time - do it. The biggest holdback is usually bag skills. You may sense a "beat" in your head you want to reproduce on the bag, but you don't have the bag skills to improvise it. That is the hold up for a lot of people. But even with the simple single punching basic rhythm one can hit to music but simply punching "on" the beat. Hear the song, tap your foot, punch when your foot taps. Forget about how many rebounds the bag makes, just punch when you tap your foot. Your ears and hands will find the right speed to make the punch beats line up with your foot.

I bet you can do it....
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Think of hitting the speed bag to music as related to dancing. You hear and feel the beat, then you move your body to it. When dancing, you express the music beat by body movements. If you can do that with a bit of control, you have the rhythmic sense to punch drum.

Another test would be hand drumming. If you can hear a song and "Hand Drum" by hitting the table in rhythm, or steering wheel in your car, and you can stay on beat pretty well, then you could punch drum, for you have the sense of rhythm, and perhaps just need to increase your punching control skills.

When you watch a video of someone doing it (me, SSP, Roc Stone, Scissorhands...etc) and you can feel the bag beat to the music (meaning you can tell when it's "on" and when it's "off") then you have the sense of rhythm to "hear it", feel it - and with time - do it. The biggest holdback is usually bag skills. You may sense a "beat" in your head you want to reproduce on the bag, but you don't have the bag skills to improvise it. That is the hold up for a lot of people. But even with the simple single punching basic rhythm one can hit to music but simply punching "on" the beat. Hear the song, tap your foot, punch when your foot taps. Forget about how many rebounds the bag makes, just punch when you tap your foot. Your ears and hands will find the right speed to make the punch beats line up with your foot.

I bet you can do it....
              I'll give that a try Alan. Hey Kyle, you ain't alone.....I ain't much of dancer myself...............thank God for mosh pits lol!!
              sigpic

Comment

• Kyle
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2006

I bet you can do it....
                Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                I'll give that a try Alan. Hey Kyle, you ain't alone.....I ain't much of dancer myself...............thank God for mosh pits lol!!
                i know i CAN do it but it just seems to not agree with me...im killer on the drums in rock band hahaha. i just get to caught up in either the song or the bag a forget what i was trying to do in the first place which is punch drumming. maybe ill give it another real shot on the outside platform today when i gotta let the dog out! also do u have any suggestions for a beginner song im more partial to the rock type genre.
                ________
                Live sex

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

i know i CAN do it but it just seems to not agree with me...im killer on the drums in rock band hahaha. i just get to caught up in either the song or the bag a forget what i was trying to do in the first place which is punch drumming. maybe ill give it another real shot on the outside platform today when i gotta let the dog out! also do u have any suggestions for a beginner song im more partial to the rock type genre.
                  Depends on what you're into, I can't punch drum myself. But I would say something with a mid paced beat.Silly me went straight for the blast beats lol. I had some ideas floating around. In fact I was listening to Chimaira last night and their song "Down Again" off of "The Impossibilty of Reason" is preety mid paced. Or even "Resurrection" by Chimaira. Not everyboddy is into extreme metal though. I was thinking of Zeppelin "Dancing Days" , "In The Light", "When The Levee Breaks", and "Immigrant Song", just to name a few....................................
                  sigpic

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                    • Sep 2009

That's Advanced.

It seemed to me when I was watching that in spots (v. other vids) you might have been a bit tired or not as avid or concentrated) - recalling you advised you were awaiting transport to work/tour. But this was Not So.

Your management of the 'mis-hits' (I'm loathe to call them that because in my world I'm not at hitting those mis-hits yet) was... superlative, and then led into the multiple-double hits, and elbow double hits, and just...

STAY AWAY FROM ME!!!

Which bag is that, please tell?

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                      • Sep 2009

I'm working with another song now - think the change-up may help this morning.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2007

SSP, that was wicked mate! Your punch drumming skills are pretty amazing.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by MikeTarheel View Post
                          That's Advanced.

It seemed to me when I was watching that in spots (v. other vids) you might have been a bit tired or not as avid or concentrated) - recalling you advised you were awaiting transport to work/tour. But this was Not So.

Your management of the 'mis-hits' (I'm loathe to call them that because in my world I'm not at hitting those mis-hits yet) was... superlative, and then led into the multiple-double hits, and elbow double hits, and just...

STAY AWAY FROM ME!!!

Which bag is that, please tell?
                          Thanks Mike. I am curious which other vids you thought may have shown me not as concentrated. I thought this was ok but thought the Carry On Wayward Bag and Crazy Little Thing clips were better punched....But maybe this cliphas some decent stuff in it too.... Anyhow, thanks for watching....

The bag is an Everlast 5x8 (small), if the 4x6 is x-small, the 6x9 is medium and the 7x10 is large. It was my fave bag for a bit but I like the white 5x8 fighting a lot, and the black/gold x-small Everlast. I also dig my red 6x9 Title and my Fighting 6x9. I still like most of my bags really! Except the old gyro....

Originally posted by MikeTarheel View Post
                          I'm working with another song now - think the change-up may help this morning.
                          Were you only working on one song? If so, for how long? I suggest jammin' to a whole record and finding the tunes that fit your ability at the moment, as well as just trying to find the beats in any songs.....

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                          SSP, that was wicked mate! Your punch drumming skills are pretty amazing.
                          Thanks a lot UK!

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                            Thanks Mike. I am curious which other vids you thought may have shown me not as concentrated. I thought this was ok but thought the Carry On Wayward Bag and Crazy Little Thing clips were better punched....But maybe this cliphas some decent stuff in it too.... Anyhow, thanks for watching....

The bag is an Everlast 5x8 (small), if the 4x6 is x-small, the 6x9 is medium and the 7x10 is large. It was my fave bag for a bit but I like the white 5x8 fighting a lot, and the black/gold x-small Everlast. I also dig my red 6x9 Title and my Fighting 6x9. I still like most of my bags really! Except the old gyro....

Were you only working on one song? If so, for how long? I suggest jammin' to a whole record and finding the tunes that fit your ability at the moment, as well as just trying to find the beats in any songs.....

Thanks a lot UK!
                            Oh, sorry, I meant that in THIS VID you seemed, at first, a bit tired or not as focused, but then that turned out not to be so.

I am working through a few songs now (you may know which ones they are!).

Thanks for the advise on the bags. I will print this one.

Comment

• hammer6384
                              • Dec 2010

Awsome I love Metallica.Cool Baggin.
                              SpeedBag Hammer

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...