Making my own platform! (need some help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I just measured it, it is 28" in diameter. I swear I made it bigger, (it must have shrunk!!) but it's always been more than adequate.

Comment

• brake
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Apr 2009

sorry, this has to be done....

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
      I just measured it, it is 28" in diameter.
      thats what she said

(it must have shrunk!!)
      thats what she said

but it's always been more than adequate.
      and... thats what she said

seriously, thanks for the help!

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by brake View Post
        sorry, this has to be done....

thats what she said

thats what she said

and... thats what she said

seriously, thanks for the help!
        You must be a fan of "The Office" too! I love that show!

Oops, just noticed you're an Aussie, so I'm not so sure now?

Comment

• brake
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Apr 2009

You must be a fan of "The Office" too! I love that show!

Oops, just noticed you're an Aussie, so I'm not so sure now?
          yeah, i love the office!!! (the US version of course)

The day i get a boss like micheal scott is the day i can die a happy man

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

Im a big fan too...the uk version is good to actually...cant get enough of that show
            ________
            Laguna Heights Condos Wong Amat
            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

I don't have a boss like Michael Scott, but I do have a coworker that acts just like him. Man, it's all I can do somedays to keep my mouth shut. It's really really irritating to be honest with you. The guy is so incredibly inappropriate and stupid, I shake my head every day. Don't get me wrong, I like to have fun at the office too, but you know how when you're watching the show and you think "I can't believe he just said that!".

Same thing.

Comment

• brake
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Apr 2009

I don't have a boss like Michael Scott, but I do have a coworker that acts just like him. Man, it's all I can do somedays to keep my mouth shut. It's really really irritating to be honest with you. The guy is so incredibly inappropriate and stupid, I shake my head every day. Don't get me wrong, I like to have fun at the office too, but you know how when you're watching the show and you think "I can't believe he just said that!".

Same thing.

ooh man, sounds like he's got a serious case of foot in mouth disease... but at least if he was your boss you could humour him and kill some time

Comment

• brake
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Apr 2009

i've had to change the design for the brackets for my platform and was wondering if i could get some advice.....

i didnt realise how low the roof was, so the metal brackets are going to be out of the question, i'll have to use 2 bits of wood as a sort of bracket to give me enough room to mount it higher up on the wall, like longarms platform:

i've outlined the 2 bits of wood with red in that picture so theres no confusion, i'll call them my brackets:

how would i go about attaching those 2 bits of wood to the 2 vertical pieces that will be attached to my brick wall (i'll call the vertical bits my "studs") i was thinking to drill a hole in the back of my "Studs" and a hole about 8-10 inches into the "brackets" through the middle and threading a long screw or a threaded rod into it.... like this excellent picture:

do you think that will be enough support or should i also add some flat plates along the side for further reinforcement?

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

and threading a long screw or a threaded rod into it.... like this excellent picture:

do you think that will be enough support or should i also add some flat plates along the side for further reinforcement?
                    I'm not the guy to go to for any of this stuff, but I did want to say.. . that picture IS excellent!
                    BAG ON!

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I'm not a structural engineer of any sort, BUT I would have MULTIPLE bolts rods per support, like say 2 maybe. I would also make that horizontal piece slightly triangular (Just like longarm's side pieces) for more support area where it contacts the stud. Make sense?

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                      I'm not the guy to go to for any of this stuff, but I did want to say.. . that picture IS excellent!
                      That gave me a laugh

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

It is very hard to get a screw to hold for very long when you screw into the end grain of a board. (Especially one that is subject to lots of vibration) The piece you are calling a bracket, if it is made of wood, it will not work for long. Trust me, you'll end up re-doing it.

You'll get much better results using a metal "L" bracket and screwing that bracket into the two pieces. Plan on placing your bracket at the edge of what you call the stud, then get the "L" bracket and screw it into both pieces. You may even want to consider putting two "L" brackets on each piece.
                        Last edited by Chris M; 05-26-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...