• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2speedbags
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2008

First attempt

This is my first attempt at hitting to music. I suck, but it is fun as hell to hit to music.
  • SpeedBagSkunk
    Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

dan

Look to me like you need to lower the bag first then you need to not worry about hitting to music until you get the moves controlled. thats what makes alan kahn so good is his ability to control that bag like no other. So lower the bag practice your punches and then once you have them down then hiitting to music will end up being a little less hard. BUT NO WHERE NEAR EASY trust me!!! And Alan Kahn will pick it up from here!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by 2speedbags View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmNkWVj_EhM

This is my first attempt at hitting to music. I suck, but it is fun as hell to hit to music.
      Yes, it is!

Skunk is right that your bag is a bit too high for hitting from all around. It looked like your board won't adust down easily so stand on a step or make a platform with some 2x4's and a 4x4 square of plywood to raise yourself up.

Your first attempt was very good! I think you could "hear the bag beat" in time pretty well when passing a single fist front to back ( nice hand changes, by the way... )

for the first few seconds, you were hitting from the front a few times in basic rhythm 9sec-12sec, and you were a bit too slow. To find the correct punch beat from the front, simply tap your foot to the music. Then punch on every foot tap. I can tell you on that song it is a pretty fast basic rhythm. (Remember, the bag has to make three rebounds in between the foot taps). Punching in straight basic rhythm to that song for the whole thing would be a great workout on an 8x5, and a tough workout on a 9x6 or larger.

From 20sec-35sec, you were pretty close to right on beat passing a single fist through. Nice work! On this song, you were actually punching a bit slower when passing a single fist front to back than just punching from the same side. Technically, you were still punching in straight time, meaning you still punched 4 times on 4 music beats, except there was too rebounds between the punches instead of three. that is why you can punch slower!

You could also has punched faster, making 8 punches in 4 beats, but that would demand a little more bag control than you have right now. Don't worry about it. That will come with time. Just a few more workouts.

the best part about punching to music is: You will FEEL the correct speed beat. Your ears will tell you when it "feels" right, and you found the correct speed. You will constantly be correcting your punching speed to make the combinations stay on beat. But it happens automatically.

The rest of the song I would say your were actually pretty close to "1/2" time, meaning your were going at half the straight time punching speed, or punching once for every 2 foot taps. Again, don't worry about my drummer boy techno explanation. You're ears were telling you everything you needed to know, and you were pretty close to staying on beat in most places.

That's a great attempt 2speedbags. You're off to a great start and a new punch drummer enters the band...

Keep on punching.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 02-29-2008, 07:53 AM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• 2speedbags
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2008

Thanks

Thanks for the Kind words. I lowered the board last night. I still need a loooot of work. I'll be sure to post another video when I get better.

Thanks again,

Dan

Comment

• Jumpy
          • Feb 2008

Good work so far. Keep banging.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...