• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thor
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2013

Dee ... thanks for the advice ...

Okay well it's been a few days since I posted about my troubles getting the ball hook to make friends with me. I'm in a vastly better position now having played with it a lot more.

Yeah - the Kangaroo bag is light and probably too light for a novice like me but I'm getting used to it. It really takes some precision punching to keep it going with a good rythm ... a mispunch, even a small one, and it starts to go off kilter and you just will not bring it back before it goes into helicopter mode. LOL.

I ordered that black and yellow Title bag - hopefully that has a bit more weight. One of the problems is me ... I'm sure. I am a very big guy and I am just not used to "subtle" and "precision" moves. Sort of like when Clark Kent tries to turn a door knob and breaks the whole door off the hinges. One of the reasons I decided to pick up the speed bag was to help me with precision and subtlety.

Thanks for the tip on the joint compound! I'll be looking that for that today or tomorrow! Do you take this stuff out of the box or just throw it on top of the drum in the box?

And ... I got Alan's DVD in and so I'm going through that, and the speed bag bible. I plopped the DVD into my player and put it on my big-screen and my wife comes into the living room and says ... "Who the f*** is that?" and I say ... "What? You don't know who that is? Don't talk to me girl!" LOL
    Last edited by Thor; 08-19-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Thor View Post
      Deeā€¦ Thanks for the tip on the joint compound! I'll be looking that for that today or tomorrow! Do you take this stuff out of the box or just throw it on top of the drum in the box?
      It stays right in the box. That's the beauty of it. It works best on platforms that don't have the V design, but, hopefully you can make it work with your I-box.

I think Marlon has the best "fix" for vibration with the 2x4 between the ceiling and the top of the drum. But, in my opinion, that box of mud helps to absorb excess noise. Something your wife will appreciate, I'm sure.
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I also have the adjustable Ibox platform and I like it very much. It's a bit of a bear to install by yourself the first time, but after you have it up, it's a piece of cake. If I had any criticism at all, it is that if/when you want to adjust it, it's not very easy because I have a custom made 1 1/2 inch cherry drum I made for it and a sand bag on top. It is kind of heavy to move with one arm and tighten a knob to hold it in place. If it had some kind of notches instead of just a long slot to move the arms in, it would make it a little easier.

I don't regret buying it and I love how solidly it is made. I would definitley buy another one if I needed another!

Comment

• Thor
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
          I have a custom made 1 1/2 inch cherry drum I made for it and a sand bag on top.
          Is the cherry drum a solid peace of wood?

I was thinking of replacing my stock drum with a 2 inch pine slice (with the tree rings) - kiln dried, sanded and laquered.

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Thor View Post
            Is the cherry drum a solid peace of wood?

I was thinking of replacing my stock drum with a 2 inch pine slice (with the tree rings) - kiln dried, sanded and laquered.
            No, I laminated it with several inch thick pieces. It's a better idea to make any large plank such as a table top, etc., out of several pieces rather than one large piece because it is more stable and less prone to warping. This is why most electric guitars (even back in the 50's hey day) are at least two planks that are painted around the edges and/or have a laminate top of prettier wood. Even very expensive fine furniture, both new and old are made this way as well. I think there's a link on here somewhere that I posted of my drum. I'll see if I can find it.

Besides, finding a piece of cherry that wide would be very, very difficult. I've never seen a piece of cherry wider than about 8 or 10 inches. To illustrate what I mean about warping, think about any deck or dock you've seen that was made with 8" wide decking. I bet you remember seeing those planks cupping to varying degrees. Using strips and laminating totally prevents that. I know the drum is used indoors and not subject to weather, water, etc., but you still will get it to a lesser degree due to humidity. But then again, I've been known to over-engineer and get anal about things. I'd rather over-engineer it once than be upset about it later and having to re-do it again later.

Edit: Found it. Scroll down to see the photos. I later attached that same drum to my ibox platform. I have details as to how I made it in the thread http://speedbagforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111
            Last edited by Chris M; 08-21-2013, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Thor
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Aug 2013

Damn ... that's an AWESOME drum Chris!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...