• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thor
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2013

Adjustable iBox Mounting ...

I'm in Spain right now - on my way home to the states. I got crazy for this speed bag thing over the last month while the DoD had me deployed on a ship. I was totally ass-out for weights to lift - but the gym on the ship had a speed bag.

So I attacked amazon.com and Dee with a vengeance - and I now have like three speed bags waiting along with the iBox and a new DeVille swivel.

I need to mount this correctly - and minimize vibration. My wife will kill me if it makes "too much" noise - but my bad electric guitar playing at ear bursting decibels has kind of set a very high bar to exceed - so maybe it won't be a problem.

I'll mount it on an outside wall - one of the weight bearing walls. I was gonna put three 4X4's up perpendicular to the wall studs and mount the iBox to that. However, I'm thinking that's overkill and may actually exacerbate vibration via excessively long lever.

What about 2X4's?

And - should I put a slice of carpet or rubber between the wood mounts and the wall? Would that help kill vibration and noise?

I know the sand bag trick ... but just looking for other ideas to mount this solid as a rock.
    Last edited by Thor; 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Thor View Post
    I'm in Spain right now - on my way home to the states. I got crazy for this speed bag thing over the last month while the DoD had me deployed on a ship. I was totally ass-out for weights to lift - but the gym on the ship had a speed bag.

So I attacked amazon.com and Dee with a vengeance - and I now have like three speed bags waiting along with the iBox and a new DeVille swivel.

I need to mount this correctly - and minimize vibration. My wife will kill me if it makes "too much" noise - but my bad electric guitar playing at ear bursting decibels has kind of set a very high bar to exceed - so maybe it won't be a problem.

I'll mount it on an outside wall - one of the weight bearing walls. I was gonna put three 4X4's up perpendicular to the wall studs and mount the iBox to that. However, I'm thinking that's overkill and may actually exacerbate vibration via excessively long lever.

What about 2X4's?
    Great Idea putting it on the "outside wall".

Also, 2x4's is what I've used in the past for horizontal (perpendicular) braces, and they work well. If I was going to use 4x4, I would rather put them "inside the wall" for the vertical attachment rails. I think one of my inside wall 2x4's is split, and if I take the wall down to fix it I will replace both my speed bag supporting 2x4's with 4x4's.

And - should I put a slice of carpet or rubber between the wood mounts and the wall? Would that help kill vibration and noise?

I know the sand bag trick ... but just looking for other ideas to mount this solid as a rock.
    IMO, Yes. this can't hurt.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Thor
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2013

Thanks, yeah I will give up the 4X4 idea - it would be great for INSIDE the wall though. I can't rip the wall apart though.

I'll stick with 2X4's and use some carpet to absorb the vibrations.

I hope this works ... I'm a jack-of-all-trades - but master of none ... carpentry included! :P

EDIT: I'm in Spain getting ready to leave my hotel room and I'm downloading a Kindle copy of "Speed Bag Bible" for the flight home.
      Last edited by Thor; 08-08-2013, 02:24 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks, yeah I will give up the 4X4 idea - it would be great for INSIDE the wall though. I can't rip the wall apart though.

I'll stick with 2X4's and use some carpet to absorb the vibrations.

I hope this works ... I'm a jack-of-all-trades - but master of none ... carpentry included! :P
        Word, my man. My own remodeling dreams far exceed my actual carpentery, electric or plumbing skills.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Thor
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2013

Whatever I learned - it was after Katrina when my house flooded. I live in New Orleans. I had to do a lot of the rebuilding myself but I never really got formally trained. The thing I did learn about carpentry is it takes patience but I'm pretty fired up to get this speed bag mounted quick! :P

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Whatever I learned - it was after Katrina when my house flooded. I live in New Orleans. I had to do a lot of the rebuilding myself but I never really got formally trained. The thing I did learn about carpentry is it takes patience but I'm pretty fired up to get this speed bag mounted quick! :P
            I look forward to some video's of you punching. I've got a lot of fond memories from trips to N.O. Great place and love me some Dixieland jazz. Fun for Punch Drumming (tm).

Punch Drumming to some New Orleans Dixieland Jazz. The speed bag beat really fits great to "2nd Line" Rhythm style playing. Syncopation rules the day! This ...
            Last edited by Speedbag; 08-08-2013, 03:21 AM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hey Thor. With the Speed Bag Bible and a ball-hook swivel, I'd say you're off to a good start with your speed bag addiction. Safe travels. I expect the No.13 swivel has arrived at its destination and is waiting for you back home. Feel free to PM me here on the forum or email me directly with any questions you might have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Marlon
                • Apr 2013

Hi Thor - Good luck with the installation. What you have planned sounds very similar (if not identical) to my set up.

I have an I-Box installed on a cinderblock wall in the basement. I mounted the 2 x 4s directly to the wall & the rails to the 2 x 4s.

Someone here put thin rubber 'pads' in between the rails that you mount to the wall & the adjustable brackets on the "v" that the board mounts too. He said he did this mainly to prevent the brackets from scratching the frame/rails, but I'm sure it dampened noise/vibration as well.

Noise wasn't a problem for me, even when I hit on a 10 x 7 Lazer (which is a brick wrapped in leather) I have been told that from the main floor a fist roll sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle - So I wouldn't worry there.

My problem was with the board vibrating because the front edge isn't supported. My Engineer/Dad jammed a 2 x 4 between the top of the board & the ceiling beam & the vibration stopped completely. It's now rock solid. The 2 x 4 is wedged into place, not mounted so it can be easily swapped if I adjust the board height.

I covered the 2 x 4 with an old hand wrap to make it look nicer. Hope it helps.
                Sorry to everyone else who is probably tired of seeing this photo after I 've posted it about 5 times here
                Hope it helps.
                Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

Not tired of seeing your photo at all, it's a working solution. However, hopefully Balazs will update the design of their iBox with functional perimeter bracing and access to the drum's center so folks can bolt their swivels through the drum if they want. The high quality workmanship and materials of the iBox are marred by the design.

Comment

• Thor
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Aug 2013

Thanks everyone with the well wishes and advice.

It's up!!

I have to erase some pencil marks from my wall that I used to line things up.

Notes ...

My studs were 16" on center so this was no problem - I just went with 2X6's as board mounts to the wall. The 2X6's are anchored directly to the 2X4 wall studs with 4" structural screws - and the screws are recessed into the 2X6's - the iBox is anchored through the 2X6's and into the 2X4 wall studs using the lagging bolts that came with the iBox - and they're HUGE. Because of this ... I didn't rely on only a "stud finder" to find the studs, I cut a 1.5 inch hole over the suspected locations of the studs to verify where they were and then drew a line down he wall where the dead center was. I just didn't want to split a 2X4 with those big bolts and, of course - I pre-drilled all the holes with a smaller drill bit.

It's pretty solid - I'll prolly still put a sandbag up though.

That's an Everlast Kangaroo 6X9 bag and one of Dee's No. 13 swivels. Dee's swivel mounts directly to the pre-drilled holes on the iBox - very easy. However, I did use the screws that came with the iBox since they seemed to fit a bit tighter in the pre-drilled holes that Balaz drilled. Dee's swivel took this screw quite well.

Whoa ... I thought I could do basic rhythms but no ... I need to relearn a tad. I was using a Master Link Chain Swivel to learn on and the No. 13 is way different in the way it reacts. I didn't initially believe this would be true but the ball-hook swivel is more "organic" and less "robotic" ... like the chain swivel was. It's all cool - I'll continue to work on it till I pick it up again.

EDIT - One thing I noticed is that the ball-hook swivel DEMANDS that you hit in the right spot or it audibly protests to you! A good hit and it gives a pleasant sound - bad hit in the wrong spot and it lets you know! Now this is aggravating right now - but I think it will train me better to hit the right spot. Obviously the chain swivel I was using masked some problems in my technique. So yeah - very happy with your swivel Dee - at this point anyway!

I have three bags ... the "Big Blue" Title ... which is a bit too big. A ridiculously small "Pro Mex" 5X8 - which I don't think I'll ever be able to use ... and the Everlast Kangaroo 6X9. I might step up and get the next size up Everlast Kangaroo - the 6X9 is still pretty small and a lot lighter than the Title bag I was hitting on the ship I just came from.

It would appear that, every time you adjust the iBox, you need to re-level the drum. It doesn't automatically "level" when you adjust up and down - there is too much slack in the grooves of the rail guides manufactured by Balaz. This isn't a terribly bad thing though - since I don't think I'll be adjusting that frequently.

Inflating bags ... man I had to unlace my big blue Title because the bladder was not centered at the top of the bag - so when I inflated ... the whole thing was off kilter. I unlaced it ... then deflated it - as it deflated I grabbed the crown of the bladder at the top and pulled it up to center it - you could hear the bladder shifting inside the bag as I did it. Relaced it and re-inflated it and it looks pretty good now.

Video's? I'll throw some up once I get my basic rhythms back and try to learn a few more - I have the Speed Bag Bible now and I'm running through it to learn the ropes. But ... remember here, I literally started bashing a speed bag less than 30 days ago ... soooo ... yeah ... pretty novice still!
                    Last edited by Thor; 08-11-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Thor
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                      Hey Thor. With the Speed Bag Bible and a ball-hook swivel, I'd say you're off to a good start with your speed bag addiction. Safe travels. I expect the No.13 swivel has arrived at its destination and is waiting for you back home. Feel free to PM me here on the forum or email me directly with any questions you might have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I would like to thank you for designing that swivel with a ball hook that has a "twist" in it. It makes it easier to put the bag on and take it off.

Comment

• Thor
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Marlon View Post
                        My problem was with the board vibrating because the front edge isn't supported. My Engineer/Dad jammed a 2 x 4 between the top of the board & the ceiling beam & the vibration stopped completely.
                        Thanks - and one thing I notice is that, as you state, the iBox isn't as firm as the drum I was using on the ship - which was mounted directly to the ceiling - A STEEL ceiling. That thing was solid as a damn rock and this iBox just doesn't have that feeling. But - what else can you expect? On the ship - with the drum mounted to the overhead - the damn bag was too high for me to hit - and I'm 6'2"!! I had to stand on two 35 pound dumbbells to get the correct height.

Comment

• Thor
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                          hopefully Balazs will update the design of their iBox with functional perimeter bracing and access to the drum's center so folks can bolt their swivels through the drum if they want. The high quality workmanship and materials of the iBox are marred by the design.
                          I've been thinking about this ... the screw holes for the swivels are drilled all the way through the drum - this is only a matter of coming up with a solution to putting some kind of fastener that will fit underneath the drum mount.

Like maybe a recessed carriage bolt - but man, it would be about the smallest carriage bolt I've ever seen.

Or ... what's it called? A helicoil? Hell I don't know - but there are some threaded "nuts" that can be installed into wood that can just screw into them without having to hold on to them with a wrench.

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                            • Jan 2012

Nice setup - beveled edges and all.

You've probably already noticed that the oddly-shaped Everlast Kangaroo bag (wider than it is deep - like a pancake), is better suited for a uni-directional swivel like a chain link or a U-bolt. Dee's Deville No. 13 ball-hook moves so freely that it's difficult to use anything other than a naturally "round" bag (it is for me at least).

Interesting note: The Everlast bags (I have) fit easily on a chain link because the loop is narrower than all of the others. Kind-of like gas vs. diesel pump nozzles.

Anyway - don't get bummed-out that basic rhythm or any other punching is more difficult on a ball-hook swivel with a bag that is shaped like that. It's a fun, bouncy little bag and I really like it, but I think it was designed for a uni-directional swivel.

The Title or ProMex red bags (6*9) are a good size to work with to start, and are great on the No. 13 - especially after you change to a bouncier bladder. The ProMex branded bags have softer leather, are slightly larger than the Title branded bags, and the PM Yellow (5*8) is a little easier to hit than the Title Yellow (IMHO). Once you start going fast, the Title 5*8 characteristics are better appreciated.

Enjoy the journey.

Alan - your video is hilarious!! Great stuff as usual.
                            Last edited by PunchDrummer; 08-11-2013, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

It's pretty solid - I'll prolly still put a sandbag up though.
                              You'll hear, feel and see the difference in overall performance of the bag and drum if you put some weight on top. I wouldn't put something rock solid up there. It will only exaggerate the vibration and will rattle and shift. Forgive me for sounding like a broken record (remember those?! ), but I think the best thing to place on the drum is something heavy what will absorb and dissipate the vibration. You can pick up a box of Beadex Joint Compound at Lowe's for under $8. It's a square box that contains a plastic bag of thick, gooey joint compound. I think there are two sizes: 22 lb. and 48 lb. http://www.lowes.com/pd_92099-325-38...7C1&facetInfo=
                              I don't understand the physics of it, but, I think it really helps to cut down any extra noise from punching. And, it's easier and not as messy as a bag of sand. You just want to make sure not let an exposed screw puncture it.

Marlon's "fix" is a good one. (BTW, I don't get tired of seeing your platform, Marlon). That 2x4 can really help stabilize the outside edge of the drum during play. Not as good as a drum connected to a steel ceiling, but much better than no support at all!

I started out on a freestanding STEEL DRUM that my partner, Raul built. It's rock solid. Here is a video that shows the box of compound on top. We eventually put 3 boxes of the stuff on top – not that this platform needed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQf4rxM3kz0

I was 3 months in to my speed bag addiction. It took me a little longer than the average bear to figure out the linking part of bagging. But, I persisted and it paid off.

That's an Everlast Kangaroo 6X9 bag and one of Dee's No. 13 swivels. Dee's swivel mounts directly to the pre-drilled holes on the iBox - very easy. However, I did use the screws that came with the iBox since they seemed to fit a bit tighter in the pre-drilled holes that Balaz drilled. Dee's swivel took this screw quite well.
                              I would agree with PunchDrummer, regarding your speed bag. I find – for me, anyway – that bag with a wider belly, like a bell-shaped bag – gives me better play on the drum. Fewer "helicopters." I had an Everlast Elite (looked like your Kangaroo bag). It tended to "drag" when I punched. The Kangaroo bag is probably a lot lighter than the Elite, but have you noticed if the the Kangaroo bag does the same, or does it go all wacky (with a mis-hit) because it's so light?

Whoa ... I thought I could do basic rhythms but no ... I need to relearn a tad. I was using a Master Link Chain Swivel to learn on and the No. 13 is way different in the way it reacts. I didn't initially believe this would be true but the ball-hook swivel is more "organic" and less "robotic" ... like the chain swivel was. It's all cool - I'll continue to work on it till I pick it up again.

One thing I noticed is that the ball-hook swivel DEMANDS that you hit in the right spot or it audibly protests to you! A good hit and it gives a pleasant sound - bad hit in the wrong spot and it lets you know! Now this is aggravating right now - but I think it will train me better to hit the right spot. Obviously the chain swivel I was using masked some problems in my technique. So yeah - very happy with your swivel Dee - at this point anyway!
                              Yes, a ball-hook really hones your skills. The Deville can be a slippery rascal at first. And, yes, it does DEMAND accuracy in your punches. This all comes with practice, of course. In a week or so, you'll have your muscle memory kicking in. Just watch a few more of Alan's videos to make sure your stance and positioning is correct. Sticking with the basic punches till you have them down pat, along with keeping both your elbows up throughout your exercise will make a big difference in improving your skills.

Patience and Practice = Perfection

Keep on bagging!
                              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...