X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Thanks again Alan for your insight on the striking techniques and hand positioning. I admit I'm not that good at writing the combos in the abbreviated form, I think I'm learning that more slowly than the actual movements.

Fortunately for me I'm retired and my set up is in my garage, so I can work in the yard or around the house and then take about 15 to 20 minutes and go in and practice some more. This movement has been occupying a lot of my time. In fact my one elbow has a scab on it from the repeated strikes from practicing.

I have tried to practice this move coming off from a lot of different other combinations. I try to keep the speed at a moderate pace. Surprisingly it's actually harder to do really slow. I have tried it coming off the D-TES and when I can actually pull it off, which right now is rare, but I have done it, it is a pretty cool move. I am also trying to improve on going right into the O-I 4 way rather than starting with an I-TES.

I don't think I could do this move using a FCP in the second fist position. The FSP is the most natural for me in this combo. In fact I was pondering that some time ago when I was practicing just the FDP, whether I should always practice it using the FSP on the second fist. It seemed to me that the FSP sets you for more movements than the FCP. So I thought it might be good to just always practice it that way so my mind won't try to switch horses in the middle of the stream. But after some thinking about it and practicing more with it, I've decided I would be more versatile if I could do it both ways at will.

This has been an interesting and challenging technique to put together. But it has followed a familiar course for me in trying to learn it. First, I think, I'm never going to get this. Then after hours of trying and repeatedly failing, I actually do it in a very sloppy manner, but it's kinda there. Then I try it again and no dice, I can't repeat it. But I figure if I lucked out once, if I keep at it I can luck out again. So after many more hours of flubbing and goofs and then I kinda do it again. I go back and watch the video's of people doing it over and over, study the hand positions and then try to break it down into a half move. Then I start to do it more frequently, still sloppy but it's there. Usually after a few weeks of concentrating on it, breaking it down into simpler moves and then putting them together I can finally say I can do it at will, most of the time. I still have not been able to do a 5 to 10 minute workout without a flub or miss hit. Eventually I may be able to do that too.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
      Thanks again Alan for your insight on the striking techniques and hand positioning. I admit I'm not that good at writing the combos in the abbreviated form, I think I'm learning that more slowly than the actual movements.

Fortunately for me I'm retired and my set up is in my garage, so I can work in the yard or around the house and then take about 15 to 20 minutes and go in and practice some more. This movement has been occupying a lot of my time. In fact my one elbow has a scab on it from the repeated strikes from practicing.

I have tried to practice this move coming off from a lot of different other combinations. I try to keep the speed at a moderate pace. Surprisingly it's actually harder to do really slow. I have tried it coming off the D-TES and when I can actually pull it off, which right now is rare, but I have done it, it is a pretty cool move. I am also trying to improve on going right into the O-I 4 way rather than starting with an I-TES.
      Yes, it is harder to do really slow for a couple of reasons. First it is hard to really control the power of the inward elbow connection. That is pretty much determined by your body motion and it is hard to vary that individually, so it becomes the weakest part of the movement, Second, if you do try to generate any force or power on that inward elbow contact, your effort to do so with take you too far into the movement, making it difficult if not impossible to recover in ONE rebound. This is where too rebounds may be more practical for that combo. Hard hit or soft, you pretty much have to stop that inward motion after contact to double bump the bag off the elbow again in only one rebound.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't think I could do this move using a FCP in the second fist position. The FSP is the most natural for me in this combo.
      fedora
      Yes, the FSP position is the most natural for the second fist in that I-O 4way E.S. and IMO it would be a waste of time trying to manipulate or change it to FCP. You cannot link that second fist anywere in this technique because it would really screw up the coming inward elbow just one rebound away.

You CAN change the second fist position to a FCP, and drop that last inward elbow, but they you just did an Outward-Triple Elbow (E-F/F), not the four way.

I don't think I could do this move using a FCP in the second fist position. The FSP is the most natural for me in this combo. In fact I was pondering that some time ago when I was practicing just the FDP, whether I should always practice it using the FSP on the second fist. It seemed to me that the FSP sets you for more movements than the FCP. So I thought it might be good to just always practice it that way so my mind won't try to switch horses in the middle of the stream. But after some thinking about it and practicing more with it, I've decided I would be more versatile if I could do it both ways at will.

fedora
      I agree with the bolded section. Learning to do it both ways at will is by far the best. As you progress you will begin to find advantages to using one contact position or the other. The only real advantage of the FCP position is for linking, and that is really more because of the arm position over the fist contact point. When you connect the FCP, the forearm, (wrist to elbow) is pretty much parallel and out of the way from the bag, so passing that fist through the bag is easier. You can also connect the bag in FSP and pass it through, but notice the arm position will need a slight adjustment, or the top of the forearm will be in line with the bag rebound. This happens automatically for most folks, and it's no biggee. However the FCP and FSP movements each can alter the exact angle of bag rebound and sometimes you will learn to favor one over the other, depending on what you are going to next. I don't know about you but when I punch I normally have some idea what the next technique is going to be and automatically adjust my fist positions to make that happen as easily as possible.

If you watch enough video's of decent to advanced baggers, you will see how they change fist positions, or not, for certain combinations. For instance, in virtually every one of my video's (and my non-video punching) I will use the FSP connection in a split fist combination. Watch Zach Ruffo (speedbag skunk) do a front-back split fists and you will see he keeps the front fist in FCP position. Apparently that is his preference for I see him do it that way most of the time.

As you gain control and experience you will find slight shifts of fist and body positions that make it all work for you, kind of like doing certain techniques faster makes them easier. It works for the I-O 4 way, as well as fist rolling, which is more difficult slow, and often easier to learn going a bit faster.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jake
        • Mar 2011

Hey I have been really busy with work and helping a family member who has not been well. I have not had time to keep up with this thread.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the kind and encouraging comments. Especially thank you to Allen. I feel very lucky to have the Speed Bag King helping me learn all about speed bagging. It's really as they say priceless. This Forum is great!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...