Making my own platform! (need some help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brake
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2009

Making my own platform! (need some help!)

First off, I'm new here so, Hi everyone!

I've been doing some searches on the forums on how to build my own speedbag platform, besides Ikea shopping, I've got practically no wood working experience at all so bear with me.....

So I'm pretty sure I know what needs to be done but i have some questions. How does this sound:

I'll be using 2 metal L shaped brackets that have another piece diagonally to support each one, I want to attach those straight to the platform which i will be making out of 2 pieces of 2cm (3/4 inch) plywood or MDF glued together to make it approx 4cm or 1 1/2 inch thick. I would really like to get a nice thick piece of nice timber later on, the ply/MDF is just for now.

It's going in the garage on a brick wall and I was originally going to attach it straight to the wall with dynabolts but after reading some of ChrisM's posts i would prefer to go with tapcon screws because the hole's will be smaller (i'm renting) I also plan on putting a sandbag on top of it for extra stability.

Now the questions:

1) Why is it recommened to first attach the brackets to 2 or 3 pieces of horizontal timber for brick and concrete, and not vertical pieces instead? I would prefer vertical.

2) because each brick has 3 holes in the middle, would it be better to screw the tapcon screws towards the edge of the brick next to the hole where its all brick rather than straight into the hole itself?

3) I couldn't find anything on how to attach the brackets to the support pieces of 2x4, i know the 2x4 gets attached to the wall with the tapcon screws, but what should i use to attach the brackets? bolts or screws?

4) attaching the brackets to the drum itself, bolts or screws?

5) gluing the 2 peices of mdf/plywood together, any tips? I read dont put to much pressure onto them, i was thinking of driving the front wheel my car onto it and leave it over night to dry.

6) and finally, what type and size and how many screws and bolts should i use for everything to make it sturdy as hell!!!!

thanks guys, sorry for the long post i just want it to be perfect!!!
    Last edited by brake; 04-23-2009, 05:57 PM.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hello and welcome.

Originally posted by brake View Post
    1) Why is it recommened to first attach the brackets to 2 or 3 pieces of horizontal timber for brick and concrete, and not vertical pieces instead? I would prefer vertical.
    Vertical should be fine. I can't recall exactly who, but someone who posted here in the past had done it that way with satisfactory results.

2) because each brick has 3 holes in the middle, would it be better to screw the tapcon screws towards the edge of the brick next to the hole where its all brick rather than straight into the hole itself?
    Yes, you want more of the screw to be supported by the brick, if you can make that happen, I believe you will be better off.

3) I couldn't find anything on how to attach the brackets to the support pieces of 2x4, i know the 2x4 gets attached to the wall with the tapcon screws, but what should i use to attach the brackets? bolts or screws?
    Personally I like bolts, see below

4) attaching the brackets to the drum itself, bolts or screws?
    I've seen it done both ways. Bolts let you tighten things up easily, where as screws may eventually strip out if you have to re-tighten them.

5) gluing the 2 peices of mdf/plywood together, any tips? I read dont put to much pressure onto them, i was thinking of driving the front wheel my car onto it and leave it over night to dry.
    I can't help here as I've not done this. Give it a try and let us know how it works

6) and finally, what type and size and how many screws and bolts should i use for everything to make it sturdy as hell!!!!
    My vote goes for "bigger is better", unless the stuff is so big it gets in the way

Good luck , and let us know how it turns out.

Comment

• brake
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Apr 2009

Hey Tim, thanks for the reply, thats cleared up a few things. I've changed my mind about the brackets though, I'm going to make them using wood instead of pre-bought metal ones because i saw a few palets next to a bin outsound a company today.

I'll post up pictures when I'm done, I just need to find some decent wood for the drum which may take longer than expected as bunnings only sell the plywood i was going to use 600mm or 1200mm wide which is 23 and 46 inches respectively and i want more like 30 inches to be safe.

it looks awesome in my mind i hope it turns out that way!

thanks again!!

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

MDF can be carcinogenic, so be careful there. Don't go snorting any of the sawdust.

Glue and screw is alway the key for best results.
        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• brake
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
          MDF can be carcinogenic, so be careful there. Don't go snorting any of the sawdust.

Glue and screw is alway the key for best results.
          Lol, cheers mate, i'm prolly not goin with MDF anyways....

I did wanna ask someone from Aus about swivels though... which one do you use?? I'm trying to track down this everlast plastic s swivel:

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

Try Rebel sports.

I use that one, but with a steel ball in it. Here we go, thats gonna drag out all the balls of steel gags now.

But start there and see how you go. Ebay is another alternative or you might like to deal direct with Lori from Everlast at Prime Fighter, as I have done on many occasion and got very satifactory results. Tell her I said "Hi".
            Last edited by Roc Stone; 04-26-2009, 04:39 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Every question has been answered pretty well so far except this one:

Don't do that. If you use too much pressure, as in an extreme amount of pressure like you're saying here, you'll end up with a weaker joint because you'll squeeze all the glue out and it just won't stick. What I've always done with good results is to get some C clamps or something similar. Then using something fairly rigid like your L brackets, or some 2x2's and place them every 8 to 12 inches on both sides of your platform. Then using c clamps, clamp them up. You want some seepage, but the idea is not to clamp it so tight that almost all of it is squeezed out. Why buy all the glue and then squeeze it out? If you don't have glue between the pieces, it's not going to stick together!

Depending on the glue you use, if you use tightbond, put the glue on both sides and then use a brush to completely cover both sides. If you use gorilla glue, first wet both sides with a sponge, then apply glue to one side and brush it so it completely covers it. Either type of glue will work just fine if you clamp it like I suggested.

Comment

• brake
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Apr 2009

Try Rebel sports.

I use that one, but with a steel ball in it. Here we go, thats gonna drag out all the balls of steel gags now.

But start there and see how you go. Ebay is another alternative or you might like to deal direct with Lori from Everlast at Prime Fighter, as I have done on many occasion and got very satifactory results. Tell her I said "Hi".
                Yeah i wass gonna say you have to have balls of steel to ride a bike with no helmet

So you use that one? How much did you pay for it? whats prime fighter? (i'm in brissy)

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                Every question has been answered pretty well so far except this one:

Don't do that. If you use too much pressure, as in an extreme amount of pressure like you're saying here, you'll end up with a weaker joint because you'll squeeze all the glue out and it just won't stick. What I've always done with good results is to get some C clamps or something similar. Then using something fairly rigid like your L brackets, or some 2x2's and place them every 8 to 12 inches on both sides of your platform. Then using c clamps, clamp them up. You want some seepage, but the idea is not to clamp it so tight that almost all of it is squeezed out. Why buy all the glue and then squeeze it out? If you don't have glue between the pieces, it's not going to stick together!

Depending on the glue you use, if you use tightbond, put the glue on both sides and then use a brush to completely cover both sides. If you use gorilla glue, first wet both sides with a sponge, then apply glue to one side and brush it so it completely covers it. Either type of glue will work just fine if you clamp it like I suggested.
                oh ok, what about if i just put like 30 odd kilos of weight on top of it instead (i dont have C Clamps) or i could just screw it together with screws around the edge, should i put a few in the middle too?

also with the drum, what's the minimum thickness and diameter i should go? i've read 24inch diameter? but if i start out with a 6x9 inch bag, plus the swivel which might be 3 inches thats already 24 inches used up.....

i ask because the plywood they sell is in sheets of 2400mm x 1200mm x 15mm (94.4 x 47.2 x 0.59 inches) so if i cut the board in 4 pieces i can make the drum 2.3 inches thick which would be sick.... BUT, only a diameter of 23.6 inches

or

i can cut it in 2 and have a 1.18 inch thick board which might not be thick enough but i'll be able to have a 30inch diameter drum!

Comment

• Roc Stone
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2007

The picture was purely taken because I wanted a new avatar, as I noticed you did too. My Gixxer is at the top of my vice right now and has been for a while.

I think I may have paid about $16.00, but seriously if you wanna speed bag with style you've gotta forget about price. If it takes buyin a new bag to pull off that move or combo, so be it.

PM me and tell me what you need, and we'll see what we can do.

Prime Fighter is an online store in the US.
                  Last edited by Roc Stone; 04-26-2009, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• brake
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Apr 2009

The picture was purely taken because I wanted a new avatar, as I noticed you did too. My Gixxer is at the top of my vice right now and has been for a while.

I think I may have paid about $16.00, but seriously if you wanna speed bag with style you've gotta forget about price. If it takes buyin a new bag to pull off that move or combo, so be it.

PM me and tell me what you need, and we'll see what we can do.

Prime Fighter is an online store in the US.
                    16 is cheap, i looked on a couple of sites and they were like 40-50 cuz of the postage....

Comment

• Roc Stone
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2007

Ya!

Postage is the killer.

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by brake View Post
                        Yeah i wass gonna say you have to have balls of steel to ride a bike with no helmet

So you use that one? How much did you pay for it? whats prime fighter? (i'm in brissy)

oh ok, what about if i just put like 30 odd kilos of weight on top of it instead (i dont have C Clamps) or i could just screw it together with screws around the edge, should i put a few in the middle too? Screws will work great, just don't overtighten.

also with the drum, what's the minimum thickness and diameter i should go? i've read 24inch diameter? but if i start out with a 6x9 inch bag, plus the swivel which might be 3 inches thats already 24 inches used up..... Take the length of the largest bag you're going to use, double it then add at least two inches.

i ask because the plywood they sell is in sheets of 2400mm x 1200mm x 15mm (94.4 x 47.2 x 0.59 inches) so if i cut the board in 4 pieces i can make the drum 2.3 inches thick which would be sick.... BUT, only a diameter of 23.6 inches I wouldn't go less than 24" myself, but then again, I like big bags.

or

i can cut it in 2 and have a 1.18 inch thick board which might not be thick enough but i'll be able to have a 30inch diameter drum!
                        A board that thick plus some sandbags will work just fine, unless you're going for looks...

Comment

• brake
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Apr 2009

A board that thick plus some sandbags will work just fine, unless you're going for looks...
                          you mean the 1.18 inch board will be fine??

Comment

• Chris M
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Mar 2006

I think you'll be fine. Just make sure to get a sandbag.

Comment

• brake
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Apr 2009

I think you'll be fine. Just make sure to get a sandbag.
                              ok will do... i was looking through some posts and found your setup, i have to ask: what diamter drum is this:

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...