• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Practice Clips, Feedback Welcome

Last edited by Tim; 07-22-2019, 06:18 PM.
  • Cazbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

Cant see your videos, check your link?

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Cazbag View Post
      Cant see your videos, check your link?
      Thanks Caz, I think I fixed it?

My undertrained eye tells me I’m dropping my hands too much at times.

Comment

• florian 380
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
        I’ve been bagging for about three months. My only connection to anyone else that doesn’t give me the gas face when I go on and on about the subject is here.

I have a couple short practice clips. Do you notice anything I could be working on? I’m just starting to work on my side combinations and am hoping to work them in soon.

nice flow .i like it

Comment

• Cazbag
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2018

Oh yeah you fixed 'er. Looking good for a few months, right where you need to be really. Your experimentation will rise with your confidence. At first new techniques feel so unnatural but the more you work at them the more comfortable they get, and then they become instincts.

Comment

• JoMan
            • Nov 2016

Great work! A few months????? Wow, I've been practicing for years and still can't link very smoothly...

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jun 2019

Upgraded to the Arc swivel

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

I had a bag just like that one. I didn't like it so I took it to the X gathering and left it at the gym. Heavy leather and no bounce and imo no fun.
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jun 2019

I ordered that one fairly recently. It has great bounce. Heavier leather than my Heritage, but they feel similar. I wish my Heritage was this size, the 6 inch is considerably larger.

That swivel makes every bag fun.
                  Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 07-26-2019, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• BagBoy
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2018

I ordered that one fairly recently. It has great bounce. Heavier leather than my Heritage, but they feel similar. I wish my Heritage was this size, the 6 inch is considerably larger.

That swivel makes every bag fun.
                    The size difference between the two Heritage bags is insane. They really should have made a middle size. The 6 is a really big 6. I put orange bladders in both of them.
                    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post

The size difference between the two Heritage bags is insane. They really should have made a middle size. The 6 is a really big 6. I put orange bladders in both of them.
                      Which orange bladders do you replace them with? I have the S an XS standard red, white and blue and the Heritage 6 in. All three came with orange bladders and are extremely lively. Is there a better orange bladder out there?

Comment

• BagBoy
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2018

Which orange bladders do you replace them with? I have the S an XS standard red, white and blue and the Heritage 6 in. All three came with orange bladders and are extremely lively. Is there a better orange bladder out there?
                        I picked up some oranges from title. The black stock bladders that came in the heritage bags needed air no less than twice a week. Not that that's a big deal, That small ones a fast lil bugger.
                        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

So you want to add "Side" combinations, as in Side Single Punch (SSP) Side Double Punch (SDP) and maybe Side-Triple Elbow Strike (S-TES). These are the 3 most common but there are 3 more... The Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP), the Side-Reverse Double Punch (S-RDP) [ the hardest, IMO] and the Hook Punch. Hook is like a Front Straight Punch (FSP) hitting the side of the bag instead of front.

OK, the one thing that 5 of these 6 have in common is the Side Single Punch (SSP), which is possible if you let one of your fists drift out from the home position to the side of the bag. Actually that is only about 3 or 4 inches and when you swing back at yourself, as like a Reverse Single Punch (RSP) you will hit the side panels of the bag on the same area of index finger and thumb as the RSP. They are actually almost the same, but the RSP hits the "back" panels and the Side hits the side. duh. Biggest issues is the side will alter the rebound angles. But you'll get use to that.

To start. do some simple Front Circle Punching *FCP) with your non-dominant hand as have you dominant hand drifted out to the side a bit. Then, throw the FCP and as it hits the bag, move your side fist back to your chin. As you do this the fist will hit the rebounding bag (after one rebound) on the side panel. After your dominant hand hits the side panel the bag should rebound 2 and the same hand the hit the side will make a quick circle back to the bag and hit after two rebounds. Aha! that lead fist, (non-dominant) hand doing the FCP hit the bag and drifted out to the side as you SSP was connecting, so now, after your SSP hits and returns after 2 rebounds - NOTE: your hands have basically changed position. now you dominant is in front doing FCP and your non-dominant is out to the side. again, hit two or three FCP's,...then FCP ' SSP. It happens very fast and feels like you throw them at the same time. I actually teach it that way "throw both fists at same time" because the side fist is usually out a bit further from the bag than the front fist, and will have to cover the extra distance. The FCP ' SSP contact creates "The Side Double Punch SDP".

IF I was writing the Speed Bag Bible again, i would change the "Side Double Punch" name and call it the Front-Side Double Punch for the lead fist hits the front and second fist hits the side of the bag. Somewhere while writing I created... or "found" there is also a Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP), where the reverse single punch connects and the fist out to the side can connect easily after one rebound. Then I found if I have a fist hanging out behind the bag in RSP position, and hit SSP's, that Reverse fist can follow easily after one rebound..SOOOoo. I had to call that the Side-Reverse Double Punch (S-RDP). So I was very specific on the lead and second fist placement in all the Side punches except the SDP which should more correctly be the F-SDP. (the reason I did not change SDP to F-SDP is because I already have over 80 practice exercises written in the book using SDP and changing them all would have cause major problems...so I left it SDP) Now you know . just remember, the lead fist hits the front of the bag!

So, now practice the Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP). First start with your non-dominant hand behind the bag doing RSP's. and your dominant hand out to the side of bag. Again, just like from the front, as the lead fist (RSP) connects, move the Side fist into the bag. Air punch this as your read, and notice when you do this, the hand will once again change position automatically. that side fist that hit will come back now after 3 rebounds from the side-reverse portion of the bag, and the fist that his RSP has moved out to the side. so it hits, the back of bag and goes to the side.
                          the side fist hits the side of bag and goes to back.

( Notice when you did the SDP, the side fist returns to the front on "2" rebounds. When you do the R-SDP, the side fist returns to lead from behind on "3" rebounds. This is due to rules of rhythm. A side punch is very much like a reverse punch and comes from basically the same direction. so it requires and ODD number of rebounds "3". A side single punch joins to the front on "2" rebounds. You will get use to this after a while and not even think about it. but it is important to know. )

OK, stay with me, we're almost done. You can also do a R-SDP, after a single or double fist pass through. From a single fist pass thru, as that linking fist goes to hit the RSP, have the other fist drift out to side of bag, So you could link the second fist of a Front Double Punch thru to do a RSP, and let that lead fist drift to the side of bag, to come back as the side fist of a R-SDP.

that would make: FDP ' ' R-SDP (R-L ' ' L-R) note the "L" hit the front of bag as second fist of FDP, the leads as the Reverse single. The lead fist R drifted out to side as the Side punch of the R-SDP . You can also link the lead fist thru to lead the R-SDP. It doesn't matter.

AND, you can also link BOTH fists thru and let the second fist drift out to the side. So, instead of doing FDP ' ' RDP, your doing FDP ' ' R-SDP. In either event, your hands will end up in the same place, back under your chin....

AS usually, there are a LOT more possibilities. But that's enough for now.. (hint: go from SDP to R-SDP.....)

Last edited by Speedbag; 07-30-2019, 02:40 PM.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jun 2019

Thank you, sir. With the little cheat sheet I just made from those suggestions and the Bible, of course, I hope to be linking in more side combinations very soon.

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thank you, sir. With the little cheat sheet I just made from those suggestions and the Bible, of course, I hope to be linking in more side combinations very soon.

I hope it works!....Go slow, this is not a race. Suddenly, sometime, it will all make sense....
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...